Learning a new language- which program to use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
RE: Learning a new language- which program to use?
(01-10-2014 01:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's interesting. So are you trying to learn German and are you originally from the UK or the US? I took French in high school but I was such a goof off not much of it sank in. I'd like to go back and take some more French. It's hard to pronounce though.

Originally from the UK. My dad's German but he never spoke German at home so I didn't really know much at all when I moved over. I did get a good idea about how the language should sound though. I see this as correcting a mistake because I should have grown up bilingual.

My dad on the other hand has lost his German accent. People congratulate him on how much German he knows and he doesn't tell them that he's actually a native.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
(01-10-2014 01:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's interesting. So are you trying to learn German and are you originally from the UK or the US? I took French in high school but I was such a goof off not much of it sank in. I'd like to go back and take some more French. It's hard to pronounce though.

Originally from the UK. My dad's German but he never spoke German at home so I didn't really know much at all when I moved over. I did get a good idea about how the language should sound though. I see this as correcting a mistake because I should have grown up bilingual.

I'd say that's a big factor in really speaking a language, as opposed to doing machine translation in your head...

You can learn an alphabet and a grammar sketch in a few days, but beyond that it's a matter of lots and lots of practice.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-10-2014, 01:20 PM
(01-10-2014 01:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Originally from the UK. My dad's German but he never spoke German at home so I didn't really know much at all when I moved over. I did get a good idea about how the language should sound though. I see this as correcting a mistake because I should have grown up bilingual.

I'd say that's a big factor in really speaking a language, as opposed to doing machine translation in your head...

You can learn an alphabet and a grammar sketch in a few days, but beyond that it's a matter of lots and lots of practice.

He is right, getting the hang of the alphabet, what words mean and grammar is easy. I am learning japanese and I have a few steps I have planned

1. Learn the alphebet/word meanings

1a. Learn the words in order of importance(i.e asking for directions comes before numbers, just think of the order you should learn it in as you had to go to said country but not with the fluent language.)

2. Learn the grammar and speak to people who can speak both english and the other language/ speak with someone try to learn english that speaks the language you want to learn

3. watch T.V shows, play video games, and read things in said language.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
01-10-2014, 01:37 PM
(01-10-2014 01:20 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I'd say that's a big factor in really speaking a language, as opposed to doing machine translation in your head...

He is right, getting the hang of the alphabet, what words mean and grammar is easy. I am learning japanese and I have a few steps I have planned

1a. Learn the words in order of importance(i.e asking for directions comes before numbers, just think of the order you should learn it in as you had to go to said country but not with the fluent language.)

2. Learn the grammar and speak to people who can speak both english and the other language/ speak with someone try to learn english that speaks the language you want to learn

With respect to Japanese 1 is a little more complicated - you can get the kana down easily enough, but kanji are a neverending bitch... Compare, say, French, where the alphabet is simpler than in English!

By grammar I don't mean all the details, but enough to recognise the patterns - that is, how the parts of speech work, declension, conjugation, word order and formation.

The things to eventually watch are the kinds of things you probably don't actually want to watch. Narrative works tend to be... stilted, shall we say.
(this is true in English, too, even if we don't have as much strict register)

Newscasts and kids' shows are obviously the simplest, plainest language, and to get more of a feel for real conversation you're going to have to sit through stuff like talk shows and panel shows. But naturally, just talking to an actual person is nearly always better!

01-10-2014, 04:01 PM
(01-10-2014 01:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 07:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait, there's a language learning program called Rosetta Stone?
Lol, clever.

I knew you lived down under, I didn't realize it was under a rock.
Angel

wtf language do I have to learn?
Everyone else knows English, I know all the languages I'm ever gonna need.
01-10-2014, 04:07 PM
(01-10-2014 01:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:20 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  He is right, getting the hang of the alphabet, what words mean and grammar is easy. I am learning japanese and I have a few steps I have planned

With respect to Japanese 1 is a little more complicated - you can get the kana down easily enough, but kanji are a neverending bitch... Compare, say, French, where the alphabet is simpler than in English!

By grammar I don't mean all the details, but enough to recognise the patterns - that is, how the parts of speech work, declension, conjugation, word order and formation.

The things to eventually watch are the kinds of things you probably don't actually want to watch. Narrative works tend to be... stilted, shall we say.
(this is true in English, too, even if we don't have as much strict register)

Newscasts and kids' shows are obviously the simplest, plainest language, and to get more of a feel for real conversation you're going to have to sit through stuff like talk shows and panel shows. But naturally, just talking to an actual person is nearly always better!

Yeah I should have mentioned the part where I am learning japanese, if you want to learn the japanese alphabet fast I would suggest writing the word in japanese on the front of a flash card, then right the romanji and english meaning on the back, well at least, that is how I learn the alphabet fast.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
(01-10-2014 01:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Ce n'est jamais trop tard pour ca...

My possible translation. "It's never to late to start?? Something like that? How far off am I.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
(01-10-2014 04:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I knew you lived down under, I didn't realize it was under a rock.
Angel

wtf language do I have to learn?

I thought English was your second language. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
(01-10-2014 04:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Ce n'est jamais trop tard pour ca...

My possible translation. "It's never to late to start?? Something like that? How far off am I.

Close - "it's never too late for that". But I was too lazy to write ça properly.

Si vous aimerez de (re)commencer votre etudes, c'est pas trop tard de le faire...

Although my French is hardly great.
Sadcryface2

I should really look up how to quickly enter diacritics in plaintext...

01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
(01-10-2014 04:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 04:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  wtf language do I have to learn?

I thought English was your second language. Consider

I think he's a native Maori speaker, right?

Yes