Learning a new language- which program to use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2014, 04:03 AM
RE: Learning a new language- which program to use?
(01-10-2014 01:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's interesting. So are you trying to learn German and are you originally from the UK or the US? I took French in high school but I was such a goof off not much of it sank in. I'd like to go back and take some more French. It's hard to pronounce though.

Originally from the UK. My dad's German but he never spoke German at home so I didn't really know much at all when I moved over. I did get a good idea about how the language should sound though. I see this as correcting a mistake because I should have grown up bilingual.

My dad on the other hand has lost his German accent. People congratulate him on how much German he knows and he doesn't tell them that he's actually a native.

I have the entire German language course by Michael Thomas and I found it absolutely brilliant. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it, I can't sodding stand Rosetta Stone at all.

There is a Spanish one as well OP but I can't comment on it having zero experience with it.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2014, 04:05 AM
(01-10-2014 05:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 04:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  I thought English was your second language. Consider

I think he's a native Maori speaker, right?

Yes

I thought his mother tongue was sass! Thumbsup

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
03-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Re: RE: Learning a new language- which program to use?
(01-10-2014 07:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  So I've been thinking it would be wise and fun to learn a language other than English. I have played with Rosetta Stone software a bit, it seemed easy enough but I was wondering if there is a better choice out there for home use or on an iPad or something.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone in my circle that speaks what I want to learn (Spanish) so to sit and try to converse with someone isn't likely to happen atleast not until I can learn some stuff to strike up a conversation with a stranger.

So, suggestions?
Try italki.com, that's what I use to practice Spanish speaking with native Spanish speakers. You can find professors for as low as 6 usd/per hour for example. There are also Spanish speakers trying to learn English so you can help each other for free.
05-10-2014, 08:33 AM
(01-10-2014 07:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  So I've been thinking it would be wise and fun to learn a language other than English. I have played with Rosetta Stone software a bit, it seemed easy enough but I was wondering if there is a better choice out there for home use or on an iPad or something.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone in my circle that speaks what I want to learn (Spanish) so to sit and try to converse with someone isn't likely to happen atleast not until I can learn some stuff to strike up a conversation with a stranger.

So, suggestions?

I found an app called Duolingo. It's in a kind of game format where you go up in levels. I don't really know how good it actually is but so far I seem to be picking up on Spanish.