Learning how to be thankful without god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Learning how to be thankful without god
http://theunconverted.com/learning-how-t...ng-thanks/

I didn't realize just how deeply the idea of "thanks and praise to [insert god here]" had been drilled into my head, so this really hit home for me.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2012, 12:34 AM
RE: Learning how to be thankful without god
From a secular point of view "thankful" means that you are pleased and relieved or that you are aware and appreciative of the benefits that you or someone else has.
I am thankful that my son has a good life. I appreciate the things he has done to better himself and to give his own family love and support.

I am thankful for the friends I have and I'm aware of the value of friendship that leads me to be a better person.
Appreciation doesn't have anything to do with a god, even though some of us were raised that way.

So the next time you are thankful, try replacing it with the word pleased.

If you are ever asked to say grace at the dinner table try this
"I am pleased that we are all able to be here and appreciative of everyone's contribution to the fine food we have before us.
Let love guide us to happiness. Let reason guide us in life. - Ramen"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-07-2012, 01:40 AM
You know the saying "Have you thanked God today?"
I replaced it with:
"Have you said 'Thank you' today?"

Works just fine, and just like the guy in the article, I thank people directly Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
04-07-2012, 02:39 AM
It is a problem: I often feel thankful, or something like it, and then wonder why, if my core beliefs are correct. I don't think it's just a hangover from Christian brainwashing in my youth; it seems to be a universal instinct. Glad, happy - OK. Thankful - ???

Nowadays I just express gratitudeour Noodly Lord the FSM, which kind of sidetracks the question.

Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart. - John Cleese
[+] 1 user Likes Ratbag's post
04-07-2012, 02:41 AM
(04-07-2012 02:39 AM)Ratbag Wrote:  It is a problem: I often feel thankful, or something like it, and then wonder why, if my core beliefs are correct. I don't think it's just a hangover from Christian brainwashing in my youth; it seems to be a universal instinct. It's puzzling: glad, happy - OK. Thankful - ???

Nowadays I just express gratitude to our Noodly Lord the FSM, which kind of sidetracks the question.

04-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Brainstorm:

Well I don't understand your problem then, Ratbag? If you feel thankful, why the questionmarks? Can you not just be thankful about something without a deeper reason, without questioning it?
Example of myself: I am very thankful AND happy that I found the man who is now my husband. I don't need to direct that feeling to someone or something. I am just very happy about it and thankful at the same time. I guess the thankfulproblem is sometimes present when we should actually thank ourselves? Thanks to me we talked the first time back then. Would I not have started a brainless conversation with him, we would not have met really.

So is this maybe the problem that you feel? That when you are thankful you feel the need to direct it to someone or something and when the only person available to direct this to, is you, you feel weird? Why not? Be proud of yourself from time to time. Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Simply, I don't see how one can be thankful without there being someone to thank. Happy, glad - yes. I think it's only semantic: what do different people mean precisely by that word?

[+] 1 user Likes Ratbag's post
04-07-2012, 07:21 AM
(04-07-2012 03:26 AM)Ratbag Wrote:  Simply, I don't see how one can be thankful without there being someone to thank. Happy, glad - yes. I think it's only semantic: what do different people mean precisely by that word?
thankful |ˈTHaNGkfəl|adjective pleased and relieved: [ with clause ] : they were thankful that the war was finally over | [ with infinitive ] : I was very thankful to be alive.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-07-2012, 07:43 AM
^ On that definition, fine. But I don't think that one includes the primary meaning. Here's another:

thank·ful
adjective
feeling or expressing gratitude; appreciative.

I just picked that one off the net at random. The word carries both meanings, I think - but as I said, it's only a semantic issue, not a real one.

04-07-2012, 10:45 AM
As I said before, I can appreciate my own existence. I appreciate the world I live in and I'm aware of the circumstances that exist which allow me to be here today. I am a biological offspring from the genetic union of my parents, as they were from their parents. I appreciate the complexity of nature that we observe.

I am thankful for the work of all the scientists that have brought us that information. The information of evolution, of observed reality.

When a christian uses the word thankful, he is giving thanks to a deity who has done nothing. It's a completely delusional event.
If I gave thanks to the tree in my back yard for allowing my car to start in the morning, that's delusional. The tree is no more responsible for my car starting than a god that someone created in their own minds.

When doctors spend 5 hours in an operating room and they are successful in saving someone's life, who should you be thanking ?
Who should you be thankful for ? I am thankful for the wealth of knowledge we have gained for ourselves by observing how the body works.
I am thankful to the doctors who have dedicated their lives to learning this information and putting it into practice in order to help save a life.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results