Learning how to be thankful without god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2012, 02:42 PM
RE: Learning how to be thankful without god
Well, if one needs to be "thankful"... why not thank your "lucky" stars? Smile

Stars explode and scatter dust all over the expanding universe. Particles, electrons, protons flying around pairing up with neutrinos etc.,... stars literally exploded, died, and reconstitute into other stars. Because of that process, our solar system began, and our own star and our planet formed.

You are made of the same dust particles that stars are made of... you began, thanks to some exploding star, or stars.

The next time you feel happy... so happy that you feel a need to be grateful to something, maybe give a wink to our beautiful star that shines on us every day. Our Sun formed from the dust of a star that exploded. Then several hundred billion years later.... you were born.

Heart I love our star.

Our beautiful Sun may only have about ~4 billion years left before swelling and retracting to become a red dwarf. Then it's just a matter of time before what's left collides with dust and stars from the Andromeda galaxy. The collision of Andromeda and our Milky Way will collide to become a massive supernova creating stars and galaxies... and then who knows what!

Maybe another little blue planet might appear... somewhere, in just the right place, with little blobs of star dust goo. It might eventually... after a few billion years, make another thing, kind of like you. But only just maybe... I mean, we're just dreaming, right? Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I have been making an effort to insert thankfully where i would have said thank god.
I do like the thank my lucky stars suggestion.
Now, what should we do with OMG?

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
For me being thankful is something I work on. After each day I do a little day review.
I look at my negative behavior, positive behavior, my part in things and see if I need to say sorry to anybody or thank them.
After that I try to see how productive I've been.

A little review like this helps a lot.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
06-07-2012, 02:46 AM
If you truly understand atheism.

Then you have to utmost reason to be thankful.

Atheism is about understanding reality. You have to take the good with the bad.

For me, I am thankful that I am born in this geographical area at this time period. Of course during other time periods It may be Rome, Persia, Greece or whatever....(whatever the world power was).

But we are living in a time when the world is actually united via science. The internet and world trade etc. etc.

Be thankful for the time period you live more than anything.

You could've lived during the dark ages. Where even the most royal/rich person died at 40 and lost half their children to sickness.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
06-07-2012, 03:04 AM
(04-07-2012 03:30 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I have been making an effort to insert thankfully where i would have said thank god.
I do like the thank my lucky stars suggestion.
Now, what should we do with OMG?
I've got used to saying... Oh my Buddha!

06-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Ha! - How about: Oh My Me. Big Grin Laughat Kind of makes the point.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
06-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I gave up trying to banish religious sayings from my vocabulary.

For one thing, the catholicism I was brought up with deems them to be god's name taken in vain and it's a sin.

So I don't care.

There are a lot of things in language don't like, like" there are many ways to skin a cat". I have a pet cat and the saying is disgusting. It is effective in communication though, and I have used it myself.

So, for god's sake don't drive yourself crazy trying to ban things that come spilling out of your mouth. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I've caught myself still saying, "Thank God!" I'm trying to ween myself off that by saying something else, like simply, "I'm glad!" or "Thankfully that went well!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning to love your enemy. Hobbitgirl 9 188 02-07-2014 06:15 AM
Last Post: CiderThinker
  For what are you thankful? tjenkins_1983 11 716 25-11-2010 03:19 PM
Last Post: No J.
  A Learning God UnderTheMicroscope 22 2,283 03-09-2010 07:28 AM
Last Post: 2buckchuck