Learning to love your enemy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Learning to love your enemy.

If this is posted somewhere else feel free to delete it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
30-06-2014, 09:25 AM
RE: Learning to love your enemy.
(29-06-2014 11:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

Great video! At first I thought it was a lecture on how to deal with ex lovers Laugh out load at least that's what I got from the title.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-06-2014, 08:06 PM
(30-06-2014 09:25 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-06-2014 11:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

Great video! At first I thought it was a lecture on how to deal with ex lovers Laugh out load at least that's what I got from the title.

Thank you. Smile
30-06-2014, 08:16 PM
(30-06-2014 08:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 09:25 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Great video! At first I thought it was a lecture on how to deal with ex lovers Laugh out load at least that's what I got from the title.

Thank you. Smile

Your Welcome Smile I think people on both sides can learn from this but at the same time I don't mind giving the opposition a piece of my mind Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
30-06-2014, 08:32 PM
(30-06-2014 08:16 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 08:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Thank you. Smile

Your Welcome Smile I think people on both sides can learn from this but at the same time I don't mind giving the opposition a piece of my mind Tongue

Oh me neither.

And I'm not a fan of David Smally *the guy giving the talk* but I cant dismiss a good point just because I dont like someone.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
30-06-2014, 08:56 PM
(30-06-2014 08:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 08:16 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Your Welcome Smile I think people on both sides can learn from this but at the same time I don't mind giving the opposition a piece of my mind Tongue

Oh me neither.

And I'm not a fan of David Smally *the guy giving the talk* but I cant dismiss a good point just because I dont like someone.

Oh I know that, your one of my role models lol and yeah I agree.

01-07-2014, 12:57 PM
It's a very good video.

Some posters here need to view it and learn from it.

Before I came here, I had read Joe Atwill but before that I couldn't really make much sense of Christianity. The myths and magic of it were obviously nonsense. Was there a Jesus? I couldn't say one way or the other except he wasn't mentioned in the historical record so it was just puzzling. And, what was religious writing? Some kind of propaganda or was it just people who believed in someone they had followed writing down a story or Gospel about him from the best of their recollections and information.

I came here because I got into arguments with some people on another forum who were trying to invent a new Christianity "without" the Jewish part and I accused them of being anti-Semitic. I heard about Joe Atwill there so I wanted to find out who he thought was the "real" Jesus because he said it was "Eleazar". So, I did some googling and heard about Ralph Ellis who had posted comments on a newspaper page. I initially thought he sounded crazy so ignored him but then his name kept coming up so I read a bit about his theory and thought it sounded completely nuts but it was something so outlandish that I though it would at least be interesting.

So, I came here because google threw up some links to this forum and I got in touch with him and read his book, which was fascinating, even if it has some political views which I don't necessarily agree with.

I started posting here and got an immediate reaction from people here who just wanted to shut down debate. Without ever actually addressing what Ellis said they just heaped abuse on him, and then me. And for what? I don't even think any of them could put a finger on where they disagree with me.

Perhaps it is my view that the NT is pro-Roman, or that it contains a moral philosophy based on the "logos".

Or maybe they think that my interest in legends and myths is outrageous. It's ok to read fiction, but not ok to be interested in Norse mythology??

Who knows.

Now, I have come around to a view that there is a lot about the history of Europe which has been buried by the predominance of Roman oriented civilization for the best part of the past 2000 years. Perhaps that is a radical view which makes people "really angry" so they have to be abusive... strange.

I have also been able to distinguish between the mythical elements of Christianity and the fictionalized aspects of it and see the outlines of some real characters who the stories may have been based on. Does this make me a theist??? No, of course not. Do I understand this is all just theorizing? Of course.

I have also seen some aspects of Christianity are reason based. Maybe they come from a school of thought in Rome at the time which saw the need for a reason based religion to counter the barbarism of pagan Claudian rule for a hundred years. Maybe there are elements of Epicureanism in Christianity and Epicurus was no theist.

All the abuse has just made me look harder at the views I once had and the changes in the way I was looking at Christianity and religion. The result is that I no longer get worked up and annoyed by the stupidity of Christianity, because I now can see that it was designed that way. And I don't get upset with Christian evangelists because they are doing exactly what a very clever cleric has fooled them into doing using a very sophisticated form of propagandizing which we simply don't understand anymore and can't relate to.

It's actually quite liberating to be able to sit down and say to someone quite cogently, that Christianity is just a Harry Potter style story that the Romans made up to convey a philosophy based on the golden rule and to actually be able, thanks to Atwill and Ellis, pretty clearly, how they did it and why.

It's been a very good learning experience and has got rid of any anger or frustration I felt about religion and particularly Christianity which was a major pain in the backside where I grew up.[/align]
01-07-2014, 02:47 PM
(01-07-2014 12:57 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  It's actually quite liberating to be able to sit down and say to someone quite cogently, that Christianity is just a Harry Potter style story that the Romans made up to convey a philosophy based on the golden rule and to actually be able, thanks to Atwill and Ellis, pretty clearly, how they did it and why.

Praise be to the new Gods, Atwill and Ellis, and may they never be questioned Drinking Beverage

Come back when you've got some e.v.i.d.e.n.c.e. 'Til then stop whining about getting spanked for trying to push nouveau woo.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Fuck love, they can all go to hell.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
02-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Agreed with much of this, however I take issue when he says don't use trap questions - surely there's no stronger advocate of the contradictions within religion than trap questions - and in fact any time where you reference those contradictions, it automatically becomes a trap question...Consider