Learning w/o being under pressure.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Learning w/o being under pressure.
I've always accepted science even though I sucked at it in high school and college. Best grades I got were Cs. Last night in less than two hours I figured out the basics of something that totally intimidated me in school.

The periodic table of the elements. Yep, all those letters and symbols and numbers. I knew what protons neutrons and electrons were, but never put it all together until last night. So much fucking easier than I thought.

This started yesterday when I had the boob tube on and got tired of all the bad news in the world and flipped over to mind rot tv, decided to watch some Neil Degrees Tyson videos. Can't watch stuff like that without hearing about atoms. So after that I said "fuck it, I am going to look up that periodic table of the elements and figure that shit out". I did have some help with my friend Bob Spence. I am blown away because what I could not understand in years in a classroom I picked up on in under two hours.

I now know what atomic weight is, what isotopes are, and covalent bonds vs ionic bonds, and I can calculate the number of neutrons in an atom.

I have had a couple moments of crying being that I am 47 and having longed so much to understand this. No I am not going to become a chemist, but damn, I am so glad I understand it now.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Brian37's post
13-08-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: Learning w/o being under pressure.
There's a huge amount of difference between a good teacher and a bad teacher.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
13-08-2014, 09:58 AM
... and learning because you've been told to or because you want to.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
13-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Science or math for me....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-08-2014, 10:24 AM
(13-08-2014 09:21 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There's a huge amount of difference between a good teacher and a bad teacher.

Well it isn't so much the teacher, as much as the climate, lack of resources, huge classes, and not teaching society that each kid processes information differently.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
13-08-2014, 01:11 PM
(13-08-2014 08:12 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I've always accepted science even though I sucked at it in high school and college. Best grades I got were Cs. Last night in less than two hours I figured out the basics of something that totally intimidated me in school.

The periodic table of the elements. Yep, all those letters and symbols and numbers. I knew what protons neutrons and electrons were, but never put it all together until last night. So much fucking easier than I thought.

This started yesterday when I had the boob tube on and got tired of all the bad news in the world and flipped over to mind rot tv, decided to watch some Neil Degrees Tyson videos. Can't watch stuff like that without hearing about atoms. So after that I said "fuck it, I am going to look up that periodic table of the elements and figure that shit out". I did have some help with my friend Bob Spence. I am blown away because what I could not understand in years in a classroom I picked up on in under two hours.

I now know what atomic weight is, what isotopes are, and covalent bonds vs ionic bonds, and I can calculate the number of neutrons in an atom.

I have had a couple moments of crying being that I am 47 and having longed so much to understand this. No I am not going to become a chemist, but damn, I am so glad I understand it now.

[Image: 1490ff023ac62f215a12a2b022b4cb6da9e29356...d98816.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
13-08-2014, 01:17 PM
The more you learn, the easier it is to learn new stuff. You then get a sense of reward from learning because you start to see the benefits of doing so. It gives you more confidence to attempt new things as well because you have already proven to yourself that you can learn.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-08-2014, 01:23 PM
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 09:21 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There's a huge amount of difference between a good teacher and a bad teacher.

Well it isn't so much the teacher, as much as the climate, lack of resources, huge classes, and not teaching society that each kid processes information differently.

True enough; "environment" would have been a much better choice of vocabulary.

... this is my signature!
13-08-2014, 02:27 PM
(13-08-2014 10:24 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Well it isn't so much the teacher, as much as the climate, lack of resources, huge classes, and not teaching society that each kid processes information differently.

How each kid/individual processes information differently is definitely important. How I learn and how you learn can be two very different ways and may need very different approaches.

I am happy to hear that you have dived in and started learning, such a feeling of accomplishment. Myself, I am trying to learn more about philosophy and human evolution and psychology, of which is for sheer enjoyment rather than practical application. It keeps me out of trouble Cool Even though my work is willing to pay for me to take further accounting classes....zzz.zzzz.zzz.zzzzzzz..........not exciting LOL but they're footing the bill!

Keep up the learning!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" -- George Elliot

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Kemasyn's post
14-08-2014, 12:31 AM
(13-08-2014 01:17 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  The more you learn, the easier it is to learn new stuff.
Newly minted pilots handed their hard won certificates by the examiner are always told "Congratulations. You now have a license to learn". It's a moth-eaten tradition, that admonishment, but dead pilots are the ones who thought it mere ceremonial cliche.

I think our culture (USA) has yet to learn what learning is. I think a teacher of first grade should clue the students into why they're there. They're not there because they need to be taught things, they're there to be taught how to learn. All the teaching of things is just a framework to hang the learning skill set on. The things themselves, in the first grade, don't really matter. Not getting phonics, or arithmetic, or map coloring should not be cause for despair or worry, because at that stage none of them is the point. Nonetheless, if the things taught are attractive and fun, constantly tickling curiosity, then getting the hang of learning isn't a chore.

Then, knowing how to learn, there's nothing that can't be learned. I can't think of any power on earth greater than that. Wealth and charisma can change history, only learning has the power to shape it.

But I don't think our educational establishment gets that. It's too bad.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post