Learning w/o being under pressure.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2014, 10:17 AM
RE: Learning w/o being under pressure.
Congratulations. Sounds like a lovely experience - and I am sure it will continue. Once you start learning, it is awfully hard to stop.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2014, 05:39 PM
I've always thought I've learned so much more in the seven years since leaving school than all of the time I was there.

I think the reason is because in school you're taught a wide range of subjects, some of which you find boring... Once you leave, you're free to focus on things that interest you.

My grades reflect my interests perfectly...

My best subjects were music, science and English literature... (I dropped out of music because the teacher was a cunt). The rest of my grades were a mix of Cs and Ds.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2014, 05:47 PM
(13-08-2014 08:12 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I've always accepted science even though I sucked at it in high school and college. Best grades I got were Cs. Last night in less than two hours I figured out the basics of something that totally intimidated me in school.

The periodic table of the elements. Yep, all those letters and symbols and numbers. I knew what protons neutrons and electrons were, but never put it all together until last night. So much fucking easier than I thought.

This started yesterday when I had the boob tube on and got tired of all the bad news in the world and flipped over to mind rot tv, decided to watch some Neil Degrees Tyson videos. Can't watch stuff like that without hearing about atoms. So after that I said "fuck it, I am going to look up that periodic table of the elements and figure that shit out". I did have some help with my friend Bob Spence. I am blown away because what I could not understand in years in a classroom I picked up on in under two hours.

I now know what atomic weight is, what isotopes are, and covalent bonds vs ionic bonds, and I can calculate the number of neutrons in an atom.

I have had a couple moments of crying being that I am 47 and having longed so much to understand this. No I am not going to become a chemist, but damn, I am so glad I understand it now.

I feel you man. I was a high school drop out when I joined the navy at 17yo, was too cool for school Rolleyes

Now at 45 I have 2 degrees and I am still a full time college student (The Navy pays for my classes, and I love learning) I take every religious course I can get my hands on because to kn ow ones enemy is to defeat them. I am working on my Criminal Justice Masters in Critical Incident Management now. Next semester, history of christianity REL 450 (I cant wait, I am going to decimate this course, my favorite past time...I love making the instructors stutter and back peddle) and Modern Middle East HTY 533. Good times. We are never too old to learn when we WANT to learn. Drooling Smartass Although I wish I could go back in time to myself in high school and kick my own ass. Hobo

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post