Leaving Family Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Leaving Family Religion
I'm 18 years old and I still live at home. I haven't graduated high school yet because I was forced to drop out for 2 consecutive years due to poor health. My family is very religious and Roman Catholic, I choose to neglect their religion and followed my own path which lead to LaVeyan Satanism which I have researched for many years. It makes much more sense to me than the nonsense I've been fed since I was an infant. My partner is also LaVeyan and I don't know how, or if, I'll be able to break it to them because my uncle was shunned for being gay. If that was how they treated him I'm scared of what they might say if they discovered the true me. Any advice is welcome!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2017, 11:42 AM
RE: Leaving Family Religion
(25-09-2017 11:37 AM)Struggler Wrote:  I'm 18 years old and I still live at home. I haven't graduated high school yet because I was forced to drop out for 2 consecutive years due to poor health. My family is very religious and Roman Catholic, I choose to neglect their religion and followed my own path which lead to LaVeyan Satanism which I have researched for many years. It makes much more sense to me than the nonsense I've been fed since I was an infant. My partner is also LaVeyan and I don't know how, or if, I'll be able to break it to them because my uncle was shunned for being gay. If that was how they treated him I'm scared of what they might say if they discovered the true me. Any advice is welcome!

I'm not sure what atheists could tell you about LaVeyan Satanism. That still addresses the realm of the supernatural rather than the natural, doesn't it?
25-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Not quite, LaVeyan focuses more on you being your own god and taking responsibility for your own action. Basically being a decent human being.
25-09-2017, 01:05 PM
You might want to wait until you're more independent (with a degree and job and maybe your own place) to tell your parents. You know them best: is it likely they'll try to force you (by more than just arguing with you about it) to change your views?

It's good that you have the support of your partner. My advice would be to rely on the emotional support of your partner while you finish high school and get set for the next steps after that. Eventually, if you reveal your views to your parents, you can also point out to them that you've held these views for X number of years, in the meantime being responsible and productive.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
25-09-2017, 01:15 PM
You do know that Aton LeVay was parodying religion, right? He wasn't serious about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2017, 01:21 PM
The best advice I could give to you right now is to not to even think of telling them while your still dependent on them financially.

Get through College or University get a full time job, then you can think about telling them.

If you're careful you could "test" them perhaps... That's how I tested the waters with my wife before I decided it was safe to tell her I was an atheist. But don't try this if you think you'll accidentally "out" yourself.

Mention something like "you read an article about Satanists/atheists and you wondered about what they believe" and see what they say, or "I meet someone on the bus/street/grocery store... that told me he was an [fill in the blank]"

Was it a dismissive reaction? Angry? Hateful? or a "live & let live" sort of response.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post