Leaving religion - what should one expect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 07:21 PM by FreeThinker1994.)
Leaving religion - what should one expect?
Hi, all.

I don't want to start too many new threads close to one another since I'm just a n00b, but I really want to know about the topic of this area of the forum.

What are common experiences people encounter when leaving religion and adopting a more godless perspective? What are the struggles? What parts are most difficult?

I want to know if my experience is normal, but it seems like the experiences of people leaving religion are as different as the religious circumstances they've left.

I don't feel I've lost anything. I feel so good, and so free. I feel that I'm finally being honest with myself about what I believe. I'm half way through "The God Delusion", and I spent the day listening to lectures from Dawkins and comedy shows from Bill Maher. This is delightful, and I'm so happy I'm not alone. Reading through this site has helped so much, too.

What kinds of "side effects" should I be prepared for? Do I sound terribly naive?

I feel like I've been wearing a terribly heavy fur coat around, and I've finally taken it off. I'm now enjoying the breeze and the sunshine. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
10-07-2015, 07:58 PM
RE: Leaving religion - what should one expect?
More time to sleep on Sundays, more disposable income, visits from the 'faithful", requests for phone sex from Jack Van Imp's plastic obsequious wife, and a visit from Helen Damnation.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-07-2015, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 08:33 PM by Dom.)
It varies a lot from person to person. Here are a lot of stories: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Side effects: Living your life on your own terms, disappearing religious guilt, better sex, exploring the wonders of science, thinking rationally, embracing differences, learning more about yourself and the world around you, not relying on magic for answers.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
11-07-2015, 12:12 AM
(10-07-2015 08:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  It varies a lot from person to person. Here are a lot of stories: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

Thank you for the link, I'm really enjoying reading. I've just posted my own, too!

This site is so cool!
[+] 3 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
11-07-2015, 12:30 AM
I've never been much for religion so when I left it for good I don't saw much change. I had more time for myself on Sunday but that's about it.

I don't felt like I lost something rather I escaped delusion that could make my life a sad one, focused on guilt and loving an imagined, heavenly abuser.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
11-07-2015, 05:22 AM
Bucky's right -- sleeping in on Sundays is a bonus....

I've seen the "faithful" showing up and trying to bring somebody back....

I dated a lady, who'd only recently quit going to church (Christian Reformed - a real bunch of zealots) -- long story short ---

They showed up at her house one morning (I'd spent the night before) -- and they had her on the front porch -- hounding her...... They told her her KIDS were going to hell because of her....

I finally came out - and got into their shit.... They told me I had "no rights" in the situation..... I told them that THEY had no rights whatsoever -- and as I was a guest in her house - I DID have LEGAL rights - and declared them to be trespassing ---- and I was going to call the State Police - rather than the local yokels (the Chief of Police was Christian Reformed) --- They took the hint - realizing that the State boys wouldn't be so likely to overlook their trespassing ........ They left.....

Xtians can really be some pompous jackoffs..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-07-2015, 07:14 AM
(11-07-2015 05:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Bucky's right -- sleeping in on Sundays is a bonus....

I've seen the "faithful" showing up and trying to bring somebody back....

I dated a lady, who'd only recently quit going to church (Christian Reformed - a real bunch of zealots) -- long story short ---

They showed up at her house one morning (I'd spent the night before) -- and they had her on the front porch -- hounding her...... They told her her KIDS were going to hell because of her....

I finally came out - and got into their shit.... They told me I had "no rights" in the situation..... I told them that THEY had no rights whatsoever -- and as I was a guest in her house - I DID have LEGAL rights - and declared them to be trespassing ---- and I was going to call the State Police - rather than the local yokels (the Chief of Police was Christian Reformed) --- They took the hint - realizing that the State boys wouldn't be so likely to overlook their trespassing ........ They left.....

Xtians can really be some pompous jackoffs..

I once caught a xian screaming at a homeless guy to reform and accept jebus as his savior. I too threatened to call the police. The piece of shit (xian, not poor homeless guy) ran off.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-07-2015, 07:41 AM
I shop Sundays during church time - if you plan to check out like 30 mins before church lets out, there will be tons of cashiers in place expecting the onslaught, and no shoppers. Talk about fast service. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
11-07-2015, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 09:31 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
I didn't have too much resistance from people I know. Initially, the most difficult part for me was learning not to over think the conversations prior to them occurring. Deciding how much or how little you're going to voice your opinion is an ever evolving benchmark.

As you further stimulate the mind, you'll find things that often go overlooked can be quite fascinating. In turn, you'll become less prone to provoking from simple baseless claims.

A part of the process I remind myself of regularly, is that it's a process. It takes time to gain a feel for what your principles are on a variety of topics/issues. It's okay not to have all the answers. It's also okay to "agree to disagree" in conversation.

If you're doing your best to think (logically, critically, morally, etc), the critiques of others are relegated to the status of background noise.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post