Leaving religion - what should one expect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 01:44 PM
RE: Leaving religion - what should one expect?
I did not have any issues deconverting. It was a slow process, but relatively painless. My mom is an atheist, while my father, sister, and wife are nominally religious/agnostic. I also happen to live in the most godless state, so religion does not play any part in my daily interactions. With that said, on this forum, I have heard some of the most heart rending stories from good people who through no fault of their own deconvert and have terrible issues with their spouse or parents or children and are trapped in a sea of christianity (or islam). There are times, when I just feel like giving up on the very religious states, but then I remember all the good atheist people who live there, who deserve happy, fulfilling lives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2015, 08:13 PM
(11-07-2015 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  I shop Sundays during church time - if you plan to check out like 30 mins before church lets out, there will be tons of cashiers in place expecting the onslaught, and no shoppers. Talk about fast service. Smile

Grocery shopping or going for a haircut any time before 9am on a Sunday is just delightful. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
11-07-2015, 08:24 PM
(11-07-2015 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  I shop Sundays during church time - if you plan to check out like 30 mins before church lets out, there will be tons of cashiers in place expecting the onslaught, and no shoppers. Talk about fast service. Smile

Sunday brunch & lunch at the local eaterys begin at 11 & 11:30, but many churches don't finish til then. Friends and I always get right in - we have our pick of tables and pristine buffets and clean restrooms. Yup, Sundays are pretty dandy. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-07-2015, 08:26 PM
(10-07-2015 07:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  requests for phone sex from Jack Van Imp's plastic obsequious wife

This offends my delicate homosexual sensibilities. Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
11-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Deconversion is a very observable process with some. With others it may not be palpable. I try to be compassionate with most people here, for that very reason. Who knows where someone might be in their deconversion process?

Learning appears to be a big part of it. As a lifelong atheist, I never realized just how under exposed to general culture & education religious people can be, until I came here.

I think places like this are very necessary, even if only as a transitional period during deconversion... a sort of testing ground for a new found self. It's a good idea to learn to walk before running a race.

This is often a place of encouragement but then too, sometimes the shit can really get stirred up. People need to experience that kind of community upset and see how it's handled in a secular manner.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Well said, Kim!

Just using the "Quick Reply" entry to add three more LIKES to that post, since there's only a button to add one. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
13-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Leaving religion is a double edged sword.

Some of the benefits I'm experiencing are:

-More realistic expectations about life
-Less judgement towards myself
-Accepting people that i had formerly judged to hell
-An influx of loving to learn
-New friends

However, there are some side effects for me as well:

-Balancing a family that condemns me
-Trying to raise children in a split-belief household
-Trying to show my wife that I still love her even though my beliefs have changed
-Losing friends
-The fear that every so often creeps up: What if I'm wrong? (Thanks indoctrination)
-Identifying a different community to dig in with, (leaving the church fold).

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
13-07-2015, 04:10 PM
(11-07-2015 08:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 07:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  requests for phone sex from Jack Van Imp's plastic obsequious wife

This offends my delicate homosexual sensibilities. Laugh out load
How about Tammy Fay Baker????

Cuz I'm hetro and she always offended MY sensibilities......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-08-2015, 07:15 AM
I've only recently deconverted, but I find myself being highly attracted to learning more about science. A lot of it is just re-processing the world around me, re-examining issues from a godless perspective.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
08-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Octa - That's what deconverted me. I simply loved science too much, and the more I learned about how things actually work, the more ridiculous the charlatans seemed, until it was possible for me to detach myself from the indoctrination of my childhood. My church's obvious (even to a 17 year old) lies about what science really taught started my process of more-critical examinations of the tenets of my faith, and I found them lacking.

My scientific education continues to this day, and I find the world infinitely more interesting as a result.

Plus, as Tonechaser pointed out, I don't have to hate anyone or their "sins", unless of course they harm others. Unfortunately, that last bit means I now see many religionists as evil, for their actions in seeking to do harm to others via social pressure and/or legislation to impose their faith-rules/laws, and so I reserve my loathing for those individuals and institutions. The "average" faithful persons, who believe their faith-rules only apply to their own lives, I have no issues with, particularly if they embrace the knowledge we have gained via the Scientific Method.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post