Leaving religion - what should one expect?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2015, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2015 03:05 PM by mediocrates.)
RE: Leaving religion - what should one expect?
(13-07-2015 10:45 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  -The fear that every so often creeps up: What if I'm wrong? (Thanks indoctrination)

I sometimes get this one.

When you're told the sky is green countless times by almost everyone you know for most of your life... Sometimes you look up and see green.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mediocrates's post
19-09-2015, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2015 02:49 AM by Loom.)
Sorry if it's been said before:

One thing that you may begin to notice is the personality of one's personal god often parallels their own/fits within their level of society.

I never really noticed this until I became an atheist. Now, it seems everyone has their own idea of who/what god is.

My dad has a good sense of humor. He also attributes god with an odd sense of humor when things don't work out exactly as planned (example: when our hotel reservation never happened, we arrived after a long 14 hour drive only to be told we weren't in the system and they had no available rooms= god's plan/sense of humor.

It's all I can manage not to say, "You're right! I bet those kids in Africa find him hilarious!"

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
20-09-2015, 08:18 AM
I've been reading, "What are You Without God? (How to discredit religious thought and rebuild your identity)," (ISBN-10:0615789455), by Christopher Krzeminski in an attempt to understand some of the same things. The first half of the book was entirely devoted to the first half of its subtitle, & the second half, which I just got to yesterday, appears to delve into matters that deal with this thread.

I didn't experience a void in my personality when I released the last of my religious inquiries, & more accurately experienced an elating gain of relief, understanding (because the world makes no sense with a diety), & a greater appreciation for myself & the loved ones in my life. I know my experience is not unique, & I know it's not the same as everyone else who gains this particular freedom.

Mere months after this gain, however, I lost a woman I was romantically involved with to an unknown cause. She was in great pain, out of her mind (the last time I saw her alive, I didn't recognize the person in front of me), & she was terrified. I got the call from the woman's father the next morning. I didn't get any answers, & didn't feel right about asking her father what they may have told him had happened; all I knew was she was gone. I was resolved to not yield any of my newly discovered capacity to false hopes, & wanted to experience every emotional jolt. The most difficult parts were her viewing, & speaking with her friends & family, because I couldn't connect with them; we had all experienced this loss, & I felt completely alone.

The combination of that whole experience, & a desire to understand other atheists experiences different from my own prompted me to purchase the aforementioned book. Now that I'm in the second half, I hope to learn a few concepts to aid myself & others.