Leaving work for job interviews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Leaving work for job interviews
Hi, hope you all don't mind me asking, but I've found that you all seem to be quite intelligent about things overall.

Anyway, sadly I might be released to return to hell (aka, my workplace) next week--but I've sent out a lot of resumes and such that I could be called for an interview for....
The problem is, my workplace doesn't give us personal days, vacation days need a 1 month notice so they can decide if they'll approve it, doctor's appointments require a note from the doctor, leaving work for any other reason counts as a half or full days un-excused absence (with three days in three months leading to termination--if you work 7 hours and 50 minutes, they'll count you absent for half or a full day!).... oh, and we can find out minutes before clocking out after an 8 hour shift that "hey, you've got to work another 4 hours" and if you don't, you were absent a half or full day.

Anyway have any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2012, 10:48 AM
RE: Leaving work for job interviews
(28-07-2012 10:41 AM)elemts Wrote:  Hi, hope you all don't mind me asking, but I've found that you all seem to be quite intelligent about things overall.

Anyway, sadly I might be released to return to hell (aka, my workplace) next week--but I've sent out a lot of resumes and such that I could be called for an interview for....
The problem is, my workplace doesn't give us personal days, vacation days need a 1 month notice so they can decide if they'll approve it, doctor's appointments require a note from the doctor, leaving work for any other reason counts as a half or full days un-excused absence (with three days in three months leading to termination--if you work 7 hours and 50 minutes, they'll count you absent for half or a full day!).... oh, and we can find out minutes before clocking out after an 8 hour shift that "hey, you've got to work another 4 hours" and if you don't, you were absent a half or full day.

Anyway have any ideas?

Yes, leave that job as soon as possible. Your employer is a complete asshole.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
28-07-2012, 11:05 AM
(28-07-2012 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, leave that job as soon as possible. Your employer is a complete asshole.

They're called the "slave drivers" or "those whose egos like being stroked" by the people. They have massive egos. They say it's all done to make us "flexible"--I say it's done because they don't know how to manage people. But yeah, it's one reason I'm trying to get out of there..... They even said we needed to have faith and believe in the higher power of something to get us through it. But that's something else altogether.

They've even been working people 72 hours a week in triple-digit temps outside (about 125 or so inside) this past month! So yeah, even interviews would require me running home, showing, changing clothing, and heading to one.

Granted, it's a factory-floor thing nothing big, just putting things into boxes and some stamp out gaskets (as the bosses say, I'm qualified to do their jobs), but still, you shouldn't treat employees like that.
28-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow. Any ideas... ?

Uh, yea... my idea would be to make friends with a doctor, dentist, chiropractor, and/or psychologist so if you get a job interview, they can write a note for those few hours or the day. Treat it as a business relationship. You may need to explain your situation and provide them with alcohol, food, babysit their kid ... it's not like this will go on anyone's records or anything. Promise them an invite to the celebration of the new job with no obligation to continue the business relationship beyond that point. If friendship happens, cool - if not, no biggie. It's a temporary situation.

Once you get the new job, it's up to you whether you feel a need to burn bridges. No need to be mean about it... just work with what you are given. If I'm not mistaken, it is only customary to give an employer two weeks notice, not mandatory. Do make sure you are paid in full for your last day, but don't expect a letter of recommendation. A redo of your resume will need to concentrate focus more on your skill set, rather than a full list of previous employers; your abilities are far more important than your past -make that known.

There are different ways of telling the boss to stick the job up their ass. You could show up at work on your last day and advise your boss that you won't be working there anymore and will need some official exit confirmation for insurance purposes. It's probably not necessary, but might make them scramble a bit and will look good. You could even "hint" at discontinuing employment for medical reasons; don't be afraid to work for that Academy Award.

Ah, I suppose that would be my attempt if revenge is called for; personal satisfaction is subjective and I like to keep my evil frozen. Your employer seems to have never given employees consideration or trust or respect, I see little reason for reciprocation. Though that is a fact, I only say it to justify the chill in the air - I actually would love to quit this job for you. Your employer is indeed, an asshole.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
28-07-2012, 12:36 PM
(28-07-2012 12:17 PM)kim Wrote:  Wow. Any ideas... ?

Uh, yea... my idea would be to make friends with a doctor, dentist, chiropractor, and/or psychologist so if you get a job interview....

Once you get the new job, it's up to you whether you feel a need to burn bridges. No need to be mean about it... just work with what you are given. If I'm not mistaken, it is only customary to give an employer two weeks notice, not mandatory. Do make sure you are paid in full for your last day, but don't expect a letter of recommendation. A redo of your resume will need to concentrate focus more on your skill set, rather than a full list of previous employers; your abilities are far more important than your past -make that known.

Guess what doctors they don't consider excused? Chiropractors and psychologists! If you need a psychologist, they force you to take the FMLA (family medical leave act thing). Chiropractors "aren't doctors" so it's on your own time.

Even some places have said it'd look better if I said I spent the past years doing nothing over listing them on my resume (or just keeping my own company on the resume as it applies). As I've told people there, and others have done similar, those that leave give as much notice to us quitting as they give for overtime--same day. They've outright said we're disposable anyway.
28-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Well then, you have no choice but to fake your death.

Oh sure... you could take the easy way out and get yourself fired and collect unemployment.

At least in faking your death, your family might score a plant or a condolence card from coworkers. Far more interesting and possibly profitable... considering, you really have nothing to lose.

Hope springs eternal. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-07-2012, 01:56 PM
To be allowed dead from work you will have to give at least one week notice and a doctors note for your absence!

assholes...!! I had such too. Just be "sick" for every interview and quit without a warning. Who cares, they don't care about you anyway.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
30-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Why don't you call some kind of inspection? Work inspection? How is possible for an employee to hold you for 4 hours after you just finished your 8 hour shift? Isn't that illegal and against the contract you signed with the employer?

Get out of that job as soon as possible.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
30-07-2012, 07:36 AM
(30-07-2012 03:08 AM)Filox Wrote:  Why don't you call some kind of inspection? Work inspection? How is possible for an employee to hold you for 4 hours after you just finished your 8 hour shift? Isn't that illegal and against the contract you signed with the employer?

Get out of that job as soon as possible.

Work decided that they needed to alter the agreement (union) or they would close the plant--so the majority said yes to save jobs only they have sometimes been waiting a bit long before notifying from what I've heard. Before the alteration, we wouldn't have to work the same day--even though we could've found out Monday that we had mandatory tues-sat.
31-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Aha. Well that sucks... Stupid unions and their protection of workers rights. Bad, bad.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson