Leela & Malleus on Diet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 02:45 PM
RE: Leela & Malleus on Diet
Girly, I think a cheat day is a good thing. Those people feel sick from that type of meat not from the cheat day itself. But anyway, a cheat day is important because otherwise you can get cravings and at some point you just stuff yourself with everything that is bad for you. But with a cheat day you can plan and look forward for that piece of cake or chocolate that you like so much, or the burger or the coke...
Though our diet has a cheat meal, not a cheat day. So breakfast and lunch are still planned out.

This Wednesday we are giving a Halloween Party, which was planned before we thought about the diet change. So we will actually put out cheat meal day on Wednesday instead of the Sunday as it says on the plan.
We also started a diary to keep track of weight loss. So today we weighed ourselfes, and next Monday we will do that again to see if it's working.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
29-10-2012, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 03:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-10-2012 02:45 PM)Leela Wrote:  Girly, I think a cheat day is a good thing.

A cheat day might be a useful psychological tool for people unconcerned with maintaining consistently low blood sugar levels. But it's not a good idea for a prediabetic trying to stall the diabetes train.

(29-10-2012 02:45 PM)Leela Wrote:  Those people feel sick from that type of meat not from the cheat day itself.

Have them follow their same daily rules on their cheat day only substituting pork for beef and get back to me. I notice no ill effects from pork.

(29-10-2012 02:45 PM)Leela Wrote:  But with a cheat day you can plan and look forward for that piece of cake or chocolate that you like so much, or the burger or the coke...

Yeah, I no longer desire a piece of cake, I take the buns off any burger I order, won't drink anything with added sugar, and I only eat dark chocolate which is 72% cocoa or greater.

(29-10-2012 02:45 PM)Leela Wrote:  We also started a diary to keep track of weight loss. So today we weighed ourselfes, and next Monday we will do that again to see if it's working.

Pics or it don't count. Big Grin

(29-10-2012 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 02:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  The way I understand it, the body burns either carbs or fat for energy. In presence of both, the fat gets stored and is bad news. In absence of carbs, fat gets burned for energy.

I don't think it works that way, but I will research it. I will go eat some more doughnuts.

Fuckin' skinny ass Chas who's never had to worry 'bout this shit. Never had to worry about a God or metaphysics, either. Don't know whether to envy him, pity him, or just fucking Sumo him. Big Grin

This, to my understanding, is my body's ordering of fuel preference:

1) Alcohol. Fuck yeah, that shit burns easy. Gimme more. 7 Kcals/g.
2) Carbs. Okay, not as efficient as alcohol but I can work with it with a little kindling. 4 Kcals/g.
3) Fat. All right now I need to actually get a fire going but it gives better than a 2:1 return on carbs and is slightly more thermogenic than alcohol. 9 Kcals/g.
4) Protein. Sorry muscles, I know this is what you need but I'm stealing it from you for my own purposes and you haven't staked a claim. Interestingly, my liver sucks up excess amino acids in my bloodstream and converts them into sugars via gluconeogenesis while I sleep. My fasting sugars in the AM are always high. 4 Kcals/g.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-10-2012, 03:42 PM
(29-10-2012 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That dense slice of pumpernickel Leela shows in her breakfast is fine. It has virtually no impact on blood sugars. I know, I've tested it.

This is incorrect. Very incorrect.

I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 24 years. I have a lot of experience with things that impact blood sugar. In fact, virtually everything you put in your mouth impact blood sugar. That even includes water. (not from sugar content, but in how it changes the way your body uses the sugar it get from other sources)

A dense slice of pumpernickel impacts the blood sugar in a very important way. It raises the blood sugar long after you've eaten it. Often that results in another food taking the "blame" for raising your blood sugar. That bread is not your friend.

Sorry to contradict ya girly, but you are way off on this one.

I know. I've tested it.

Just visiting.

-SR
29-10-2012, 03:53 PM
(29-10-2012 03:42 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(29-10-2012 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That dense slice of pumpernickel Leela shows in her breakfast is fine. It has virtually no impact on blood sugars. I know, I've tested it.

This is incorrect. Very incorrect.

I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 24 years. I have a lot of experience with things that impact blood sugar. In fact, virtually everything you put in your mouth impact blood sugar. That even includes water. (not from sugar content, but in how it changes the way your body uses the sugar it get from other sources)

A dense slice of pumpernickel impacts the blood sugar in a very important way. It raises the blood sugar long after you've eaten it. Often that results in another food taking the "blame" for raising your blood sugar. That bread is not your friend.

Sorry to contradict ya girly, but you are way off on this one.

I know. I've tested it.

Are you sure? I have never ever seen this in the US, and I have an eye open for it always, I love that stuff.

It has no flour at all.

Do all carbs, complex and not, raise blood sugar? I really don't know much about blood sugar, just some about burning fuel. And I shouldn't have said blood sugars, I don't know where that came from, I was likely thinking of chocolate again Shocking.

Although on a low carb diet, sugar is a total no-no. But complex carbs are allowed, unless high in actual sugar content.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I am positive. No need for flour in bread to screw with the sugars.

It's important to remember a few things.....

#1 eating fat doesn't mean your body stores it as fat.

#2 insulin plays a pinnacle role in storing fat. Always try to maintain a constant trickle of insulin by planning your meals according to how much energy you need, and when. Spikes in blood sugar mean spikes in insulin. That ends in too much insulin and the storage of fat.

#3 losing weight does not mean getting healthier. It's just that people who genuinely pursue weight loss usually discover that getting healthier means losing weight. The weight loss should be a by-product of a healthier lifestyle.

Worrying about pounds inevitably results in either temporary weight loss, or a miserable lifestyle. Instead, worry about health, and the pounds will go away all by themselves.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Girly, for you another diet might be better (obviously as you debunk everyone of my sentences with the stuff that works for you), but Malleus and me are not (pre)diabetic. If you are doing well with pork and without sweet stuff, good for you. I like to have a cake or five and I will use the cheat meal to have that because otherwise I will drop the whole diet in no time because. I think you still mistake that one meal of cheating per week for a whole day of being a pig, which it is not.

So for the moment I will simply follow that plan and see if it works or not. If it doesn't work I will drop it, if it does work I will keep it.

Now me needs some sleeps because very late it is here. Good night

29-10-2012, 06:20 PM
(29-10-2012 05:10 PM)Leela Wrote:  Girly, for you another diet might be better (obviously as you debunk everyone of my sentences with the stuff that works for you), but Malleus and me are not (pre)diabetic. If you are doing well with pork and without sweet stuff, good for you. I like to have a cake or five and I will use the cheat meal to have that because otherwise I will drop the whole diet in no time because. I think you still mistake that one meal of cheating per week for a whole day of being a pig, which it is not.

So for the moment I will simply follow that plan and see if it works or not. If it doesn't work I will drop it, if it does work I will keep it.

Now me needs some sleeps because very late it is here. Good night

I'm guessing sweet and sour pork is a non-starter?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-10-2012, 06:36 PM
(29-10-2012 04:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I am positive. No need for flour in bread to screw with the sugars.

It's important to remember a few things.....

#1 eating fat doesn't mean your body stores it as fat.

#2 insulin plays a pinnacle role in storing fat. Always try to maintain a constant trickle of insulin by planning your meals according to how much energy you need, and when. Spikes in blood sugar mean spikes in insulin. That ends in too much insulin and the storage of fat.

#3 losing weight does not mean getting healthier. It's just that people who genuinely pursue weight loss usually discover that getting healthier means losing weight. The weight loss should be a by-product of a healthier lifestyle.

Worrying about pounds inevitably results in either temporary weight loss, or a miserable lifestyle. Instead, worry about health, and the pounds will go away all by themselves.

I got to go offline now - but just wanted to throw out there that a low carb diet purposefully throws the body into ketosis, which is purposefully maintained.

Also, while I know next to nothing about Diabetes, there are a lot of claims that a low carb diet, heavy in meat and fat and non-sugary vegetables, is used by diabetics with success. It is said to cause some sort of remission for diabetes, and I have read that many people do not go back to living with diabetes if they proceed to live on a more moderate low carb diet after the initial very strict one.

The initial phase of this diet is almost no carbs at all and supposed to start the ketosis. People test their urine for it.

I have no time to look for sources tonight. Just wanted to mention it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-10-2012, 06:52 PM
That is actually what the Atkins diet is based on.

Ketoacidosis (re-named by Mr. Atkins himself to "ketosis" to give it a less harsh sound) is when your body burns it's own muscle for energy. This is not a good thing, though there are crackpots who say otherwise. Ask any diabetic that is actually insulin dependent. We can easily swing into high blood sugars and go ketonic. When it gets bad, one of the worst parts is a feeling like you have acid in your veins. That's the ketosis.

Here's why it helps non-insulin dependent diabetics:
After the initial abuse to the body, it starts to become accustomed to this new form of energy. Since it requires so little insulin, the meager capabilities their pancreas has to produce insulin suddenly becomes enough. Sometimes, it even eases the workload so much that the pancreas is able to recover partially, and the islet cell are able to keep up with a small increase in production.

This is a valuable treatment option for some diabetics. But for the most part, the shock of ketosis should be avoided. This is easily achieved by transitioning slowly to a new diet under a health care practitioners watchful eye.

As for a weight loss program, slower is better anyways, so rushing a change in diet that puts you into ketosis is crazy.

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 03:17 AM
As far as I know the body always burns fat before muscle. And we certainly have enough fat to burn before there is need for the body to go to muscle.

@Stark: thanks for clearing some stuff up and explaining, otherwise I would have. My mom is diabetic and I went with her the whole way from diagnosis and pills and trying very hard to not get to insulin, to the point where she is now with insulin. And right now she is doing really fine.