Leela's spirituality: Brief history of witchcraft

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Leela's spirituality: Brief history of witchcraft
Hi everybody

So this is not about any christian topic, just warning.

It's about the belief system I am coming from.

I am not believing since about 2 years, I mean I strongly don't believe
anymore since that time. I had my doubts before that and I had a similar
jouney as many of you. The more I tried and searched the less I could
believe.

This time I would like to give you a
brief history about witchcraft (in Europe)and a little terminology

terminology:
There is a certain way people have the terms witch and witchcraft in their minds.
Most of the time I hear "so you used to be wicca" and when I truthfully answer "no" people get confused.
So just to clear that
witch and wicca do not equal.
There are tons of branches in witchcraft, "wicca" is only one of those. Wicca (male) and Wicce (female) are old English words for witch but it is a very specific way of practicing the craft. Therefore don't mix up those words.
Two also commonly known branches are black and white / dark and light magic/witch. People commonly assume that black or dark magic is the bad side and white or light magic is the good side, this is incorrect. They are branches of witchcraft just like wicca, the difference between all kinds of witchcraft is the way you practice it.
You know that from Christianity, orthodox practice the believe different than pentacostals and they do it different than Jehova's witnesses.

brief history:
So we want to go back into the time we call the dark ages or the middle ages. Just at the point when christianity was spread. The leaders needed more power and they needed to keep the power. And how can you do it better than plant a kind of, let's say "brain virus".
People had their own believe systems. They had multiple Gods that had to be worshipped throughout the year, all in specific ways. So the emperors of the time came with force, and they got everyone to christianity.
First it was difficult of course, people would keep practicing their own rituals etc.
So what was done to make it easier. Holidays where put near the holidays of those people who where called Pagan. And btw back then, everyone who was not a christian was called a Pagan.

Examples for those holidays:
Christmas on 24th/25th December coming from Jul/Yule on 21st December (roughly, as it changes depending on the moon). Ever asked yourself why there is a christmas tree? The bible doesn't talk about something like that, and every thought about why you hang apples and little spheres, etc on it? 21st is Midwinter, the longest night in the year, after that night, the days become longer again. So exactly this is what is being celebrated. That is why candles are lit (originally you would light red candles and let them burn over night), they stand for the light that is coming back, the green tree with fruit stands for the natural circle of things growing and the hungry time over (as you can't plant food in winter or do a proper hunt etc), the little spheres stand for the circle of the year.

Easter (always on another day, depends on the moon again) coming from Ostara. Ever asked yourself what it is about the bunny and the eggs and the chicks and the nests? All about life, nature getting alive after looking dead through winter Wink Easter is in spring, when plants are waking up from winter, the first trees and flowers start blooming, "the world gets ready to reproduce", you know about fu**ing like a bunny/rabbit, and of course the eggs stand for life, and out comes the chick in the nest. Even the coloring of the eggs used to have a meaning. They used to be colored red, because red was known as a color of life (blood).

So people had it easy-ish to become christians, the army of gods they had before was replaced by one single god.
I already mentioned what a Pagan used to be back in the time (though the term changed it's meaning by now). We now had Pagans and Christians. Pagans of course had to be removed because they would keep fighting while all the christians got busy with the new believe system and everything that comes with it and working for the emperor.
But there was a second big threat. And that was people who were smart. And especially women because women have to be under the man. So originally if you were a smart woman and you didn't hide it in those times, that was a problem. They had to make the knowledge, those women had, a bad thing. So they invented two things at this point. They invented a real Satan, one that actually has a physical form and demons (but that's another topic) and they invented witches, and a witch would be a woman that gains her knowledge from a pact with satan. Christianity had the devil already in a non physical form before that so it was easy to make people believe there is an actual devil who tempts women and makes them know things.

So let's say I see that one of my neighbours gets sick and a woman (or sometimes also a man) goes there, gives him some herbs that I don't know, and the neighbour regains full health within a few days. I don't know how exactly it happened so this knowledge has to come from the devil. So it was planted into people's brains.
Now we come to the real ugly part. The real ugly part is about the torturing. Confessions about being a witch where forced out of those people. They put the words into their mouths. Horror stories about baby eating and pacts with the devil and bad rituals etc etc were made up and forced out of those people before they were being killed > most likely burnt as we know.

This is how it all got rolling, and nowadays we have witches who really think they are witches and we have people believing that other people can be real witches. We have witch hunters in africa (posted that child witch hunter video somewhere) and we have some really weird religions all about a craft that was made up by conquerers in the first place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously posted:
Leela's spirituality: About the soul
Leela's spirituality: Ghosts and Energies
Leela's spirituality: balance and energy

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2012, 04:20 AM
RE: Leela's spirituality: Brief history of witchcraft
(25-03-2012 07:18 AM)Leela Wrote:  Therefore don't mix up those words.
The hell do you care? It ain't your racket no morez, you apostate. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
26-03-2012, 06:03 AM
(26-03-2012 04:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The hell do you care? It ain't your racket no morez, you apostate. Evil_monster
I care because people tell me over and over again that I have been wicca when that is not true. I am not telling Malleus he was catholic because that's not true either.
"Witch" is the universal word for it, so if not sure, just use that, just like you would say Christian if you don't know what exact branch someone followed.
Plus this is about the correct terminology, in case you would ever talk about this topic to someone you don't want to make a fool of yourself, I hope.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
26-03-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm in love with Gwyneth Paltrow, something that manifests within five minutes of a random encounter. Not making a fool of myself is not an option. Thumbsup

Just witches and psychics in my lexicon, pretty much. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-03-2012, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 11:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-03-2012 06:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm in love with Gwyneth Paltrow, something that manifests within five minutes of a random encounter. Not making a fool of myself is not an option. Thumbsup

That goes here.

Quote:Just witches and psychics in my lexicon, pretty much. Wink

That one gets equal recognition.

This is not my signature.