Leela's spirituality: How is magic being taught?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2012, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2012 08:12 PM by Leela.)
Question Leela's spirituality: How is magic being taught?
Hi everybody
So this is not about any christian topic, just warning.

It's about the belief system I am coming from.
I am not believing since about 2 years, I mean I strongly don't believe anymore since that time. I had my doubts before that and I had a similar jouney as many of you. The more I tried and searched the less I could believe.

So this time I will answer the questions about:
How is it being taught?

I was a witch for a long long time, ended up in having students and educating those in witchcraft. This is kind of like a priest who only gives religion lessons to one person at a time.
A big difference between "real" witchcraft and other religions is the way how it is being taught. You know from churches the bible lessons on sunday, or the subject "religion" at school, you have a book that you use as a source of your religion, you have a big community around you and a priest who tells you exactly how to believe correctly.
Well this is not correct for the witchcraft I grew up with.
I am not, and never was into the "new age" things. I got the old knowledge, I learnt it from various sources and in a more or less traditional way, my mother, her friend, other witches.
I learnt by watching and imitating. There was no book to read from, there was no real teaching involved. I got all kinds of healing stones and crystals when I was young already, my mother did "hand healing" on me and she taught me how to do it on others. Her friend showed me how to read the cards for someone. I learnt how to use the pendulum when I was 13, I started reading the cards for friends and myself at the same time.

There are two traditional ways to learn witchcraft. One is the way I did, the other way is to have kind of a mentor, a witch that will share her knowledge with you. As I grew up I learnt a few more things but after I moved out I actually found other witches who I became friends with. They taught me more things. A lot of these things are still usefull to me although I am not a believer anymore. (More about that, another time)
So I had to main people who were kind of mentoring me for some time. One was a dark witch (a man) and one was on the way of becoming a druid (also a man).
At some point I had my own student. And I started teaching him lots of things, I gave him his initiation, he got his first notebook and utensiles from me and I taught him lots of things. He was 14 by the time, a very keen young boy, very interested, and eager. He tried to pull tricks on me, but didn't get far with it. I wasn't just his mentor, we had a close relationship, just like in a family. When he was sad or happy or scared or proud, he would tell me.
This is something that is very common in the traditional system.
There is one student, and this student gets all the attention. This student gets all the help needed, all the education. You get pretty close, he saw me as a kind of mother. We had dayly contact, I paid good attention that when he was at my place, his father knew where he was and had my phone number.

Not only the close relationship and attention is what makes traditional witchcraft special.
It is also the way it is being taught.
There is no book you read from. You teach what you learnt for a long time. You have your notebook where you can make notes for yourself, because there might be specific things you would like to have written down. Specific rituals or recipies.
This notebook is a very private thing.
One of the unwritten rules of traditional witchcraft is to never touch or even dare to open another witch's notebook. It is like reading their diary, very private, you just do not do that.

This is why the traditional witchcraft is not really known by people, there are of course some things leaking nowadays, after all we are in a time of internet, of blogs, forums, diaries on the pc....
But still there is no guide to traditional witchcraft on the internet because generally this privacy rule is highly respected. Even if you google it, even if you actually do end up in a forum with "real" witches (as oposed to wannabe smartass witches), even if in such a forum you ask for a mentor, chances are low that you will get one that way. It takes a long time for a "real" witch, a traditional witch, to accept someone as their student. This person has to prove themselves trustworthy and reliable.

For example, when I was making friends with these two "mentors" of mine. It took weeks and nearly dayly conversations to earn their trust, I never betrayed them. They knew what they had in me, they shared a lot of their knowledge with me (a lot of it still useful to me).
And my student? He proved himself worthy to me as well, I did not take him right away. I talked to him a lot, for weeks, before I started sharing my knowledge with him.
Still as you have only one student at a time, you can of course help others with their magical problems or questions.
So at the time, I was active in one forum, where i had two people who would approach me every now and then. They would ask how to improve some of their techniques or just practice with me, things like that.
I also had my own witchcraft forum. I did not share the most important things there, these were only for my student. But I shared a lot of things. I made whole tutorials for several things back then. About runes, about meditation, about other spiritual realms, I did dream reading, and I gave spiritual help to people who asked. Not everyone was accepted on the forum, and not everyone could enter every section.
So I did "teach" some things online, or to befriended witches from real life, but I did indeed concentrate mostly on my student.

Connected to witchcraft you will often read famous names like Aleister Crowley (mostly known for his set of tarot). Most traditional witches though do not respect him or people like him at all. For one, traditional witches are not supposed to take any kind of payment for any of their knowledge, it is a code of honor more or less. Also his teachings are often not correct in terms of traditional witchcraft, at least what's in his books.
There are several of teaching books for several skills. Mirror reading, pendulum, tarot, rituals... They are often incorrect with their tutorials as per tradition.

Questions? Keep them coming Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously posted:
Leela's spirituality: About the soul
Leela's spirituality: Ghosts and Energies
Leela's spirituality: balance and energy
Brief history of witchcraft

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
30-06-2012, 08:46 PM
RE: Leela's spirituality: How is magic being taught?
If there is no shared written tradition, how do you know what is traditional and what is modern? Is it possible that the tradition you learned might have more recent origins than you believed?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
30-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Are there any spells to make my manhood bigger?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
30-06-2012, 09:25 PM
(30-06-2012 09:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Are there any spells to make my manhood bigger?
You massage it with toad goo Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
30-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Cool, I just happen to have a bucket of toad goo in my garage. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Leela, are you aware of the forum site that you are on ?
That is my only question.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
30-06-2012, 10:40 PM
(30-06-2012 10:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Leela, are you aware of the forum site that you are on ?
I think she does, bro.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
01-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Since you learned from a dark witch and a druid. What kind of a witch have you been?
What is a dark witch? And what other types are there? (I hope you didn't have to answer those already in another thread ^^)

And on a more story-based interest. Did the student's parents agree with his interest and you teaching him witchcraft?
01-07-2012, 04:34 AM
(30-06-2012 08:46 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  If there is no shared written tradition, how do you know what is traditional and what is modern? Is it possible that the tradition you learned might have more recent origins than you believed?
Good point!
One of the really big signs is not just the point that you are quiet about it to other's.
The really big importance of this... say, code of honor. It is being talked about, kinda, in witchcraft forums or chats, but alone the fact that they are publishing thins they know so light hearted is already a sign that they did not learn witchcraft the traditional way, because if so, these people would not go public with it. Some are on TV, those astrologers, often they are indeed witches but they either lost their code of honor somewhere between the mountains of money or they never learnt it the traditional way, hence do not know how to be an honorable witch.
Another important thing, there are some written down things, these are the notebooks. There are really old ones. The tradition does not change, so you can find the same rituals and recipies etc, in very old notebooks of witches that are long dead. You can of course inherit these notebooks, but they won't go in print normally. At least I don't know of a *real* notebook that has been printed.

(30-06-2012 10:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Leela, are you aware of the forum site that you are on ?
Yes. You see, atheism does not only mean that one has to come from Christianity as ex-belief. There are a few more theistic directions.
(01-07-2012 03:02 AM)Vipa Wrote:  Since you learned from a dark witch and a druid. What kind of a witch have you been?
What is a dark witch? And what other types are there? (I hope you didn't have to answer those already in another thread ^^)

And on a more story-based interest. Did the student's parents agree with his interest and you teaching him witchcraft?
Ok, the druid and the dark witch came in when I was already an adult and had learnt most of what I knew already. What they did, was more of sharing and good advice, instead of teaching. They gave me a lot of brainstorming when I was stuck somehow. And what was most important, and that was the dark witch, he prevented me from actually sliding into a cult! And that is a really good thing, he just asked me some questions and let me think about it.
Your second part of the question:
Brief history of witchcraft
I can name a few, dark magic, light magic, wicca, druid are the more traditional ones > I got taught in three of them (not wicca), but dark and druidism were just added when I was an adult already.
Now for some more recent boxes, a flying witch, chaos witch. There are more.
I ended up calling myself a chaos witch because it is not so very traditional to mix different kinds of the craft, and when you do it is called chaos magic. So I am a weird mix, I did learn everything in a traditional way, and I taught in a traditional way, but I followed the chaos principal. (You mix the different branches in a way the types of witchcraft do not even each other out and "not work" because they contradict each other. It is almost a science Big Grin
Third part of your question: My student's mother was divorced from his father and did not participate in his life at all. His father did not care a lot but he had my phone number. I made sure that he told his father where he is going. I do not know if he told his father what he is doing when he came over or if he displayed his utensils at home but I would have always been fine with talking to his dead about the whole thing.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2012, 05:52 AM
So what is meant by "utensils"?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.