Leela's spirituality: How is magic being taught?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2012, 01:33 PM
RE: Leela's spirituality: How is magic being taught?
Leela, the reason I asked if you knew where you were, was because you made a post about witchcraft, your history with it and the teaching techniques used.
Then you asked if anyone had any more questions. I don't recall anyone ever asking about witchcraft in the first place.

It really felt like you were someone knocking at my door saying "I'm an atheist now and haven't been with the church for over 2 years, but if you have a few minutes, I'd like to tell you all about Christ, how he saved my life, the history of the bible and how it was taught to me."

It's great that you no longer let gullibility rule your life and that you now use reasoning to help you answer those difficult questions, but this whole thread just seems out of place.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
(01-07-2012 02:49 PM)kim Wrote:  Actually what Leela said in regard to "dangerous" was:
"when you are being taught stuff that works and is useful along with stuff that does not work and is useless, but both are absolute facts, your brain will not make a difference unless you start asking lots of questions" At least that's what I gathered from her original post.

To me, she is addressing the hook of faith. This is the dangerous thing... this is the con. It hooks the unsuspecting; people who may not even be looking for faith can easily be sucked in by good and practical things about it. And indoctrination takes place with a mixture of both. This is why I pointed this very sentence out... I think most people do not even notice it. Wink Did ya?

Do you want examples of "good" from another faith or from folklore? How about... don't count your chickens before they hatch. Or... do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Slow and steady wins the race. Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Teaching good things along with the destructive things... that's what confuses and eventually secures faith for people.

Nice re-railing, kim. Thumbsup

Go back to sleep, Scottie. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
not going to keep discussing herbs anymore. do that without me and tell me when you are done

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm done. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-07-2012, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 03:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-07-2012 03:17 PM)Leela Wrote:  not going to keep discussing herbs anymore. do that without me and tell me when you are done

Okay. Wake the fuck back up Scottie and show your skill at splitting this thread, 'cause I got more shit to say on this topic but not here.

01-07-2012, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 04:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-07-2012 03:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-07-2012 03:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let's take a breath on the phytochemical discussion and see if a mod can split this thread. I am keen to get into it, but not on Leela's Wiccan thread. The herbs are just fuckin' incidental to her points.
Yup, let's vigorously enforce the no-derailing-a-thread rule. Thumbsup

Let's not do that. But we can collectively selectively decide when not to do so as a courtesy. It's just a recognition and appreciation of the time and effort and intention that Leela invested in the OP. ... Goddam if we can't be some serious fucking pricks ourselves without even fucking realizing it.

(01-07-2012 03:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Men. Dodgy

Fucking idiots. Give Girly three months regulating their testosterone/estrogen ratio and I can minimize their prickness to tolerable levels while maximizing their manhood. ... Fucking idiots.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
edit: nvm I'm pissed

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
(01-07-2012 03:45 PM)kim Wrote:  
(01-07-2012 03:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fine, but you are the one that started the herb discussion. I don't know why your shorts are in such a knot.

I just want to interject... that's "..panties in ...a bunch."

Men. Dodgy
I stand corrected. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-07-2012, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 09:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-07-2012 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-07-2012 03:45 PM)kim Wrote:  I just want to interject... that's "..panties in ...a bunch."

Men. Dodgy
I stand corrected. Yes

You stand as a prick, brother, wrt Leela's thread. ... Don't make me hug your ass to convince you. You wouldn't like it.

02-07-2012, 06:20 AM
(01-07-2012 09:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-07-2012 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I stand corrected. Yes

You stand as a prick, brother, wrt Leela's thread. ... Don't make me hug your ass to convince you. You wouldn't like it.
Piss off. Both you and Leela missed the point, got your hackles up, and want to put it on me. Meh.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]