Leela's spirituality: balance and energy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Leela's spirituality: balance and energy
Hi everybody

So this is not about any christian topic, just warning.
It's about the belief system I am coming from.
I am not believing since about 2 years, I mean I strongly don't believe anymore since that time. I had my doubts before that and I had a similar jouney as many of you. The more I tried and searched the less I could believe.

This third part is about

balance and energy

So what I learned from a young age is, that there are energies and that you can use them.
So I started using that with about 11 or 12.
My mother had always put her hand on what hurt me and she called it her magic hand. Her coworker had taken her headache away with her hand, too. And now it was my time to heal with my hands. So all that was required is to put the hand there and "pull" the pain.
I still did that when I was an adult. By than I knew what I was pulling, the energies causing the pain, that was what I was pulling. Or so I believed.

So when I am talking about energies in spiritualism/esotheric I have to mention that this goes hand in hand with claims about the universe.
There are rules like when you think or do something bad, bad will come back upon you. This is because the universe/nature/the energies balance themselves out. I know this logic is faulty but that was the explanation. I am not supposed to do something bad and I will only learn from it if something bad happens to me too so in future I won't do the bad thing. And of course this also goes for positive things. If I think or do good, good things will happen to me.

Example for this:
I remember my old landlord, he was not ok. When I moved in he had hidden some problems with the appartment well enough to only show after I moved in. So when I moved out I decided that I will make the new people who move in, see the problems early. How? I loaded a specific stone / quarz called apache-tear. It stands partly for seeing truth and asking for the truth. And this is what I wanted to reach. So I planned to hide it somewhere behind a lid after cleaning and preparing the appartment spiritually. But what happened while moving the boxes out was that the (very old and broken) kitchen caught fire.
My, back then still, friend was also a witch. And she said you see, this is the problem. you wanted to do something bad.
I hadn't seen this as a bad thing but then of course I understood.

But it is not only the universe that has to balance itself, we as people have to do that too. Which is actually true, but how I grew up, it had to be via meditation, later on also via rituals (rituals will be another topic).
So I meditated like crazy. I started meditating with 9 years old and I kept doing it until I was like 25? Shortly before I left the whole thing anyway.
The meditation was only for a small part about actually doing magical stuff. Most of the time it was really to balance out myself. And I still feel like meditating a lot and I know it would be good for me but I connect it with my witchy life so much that I simply can't do it anymore. So I didn't do that for nearly 3 years now.
Back in the witchy days I actually hosted an online course on meditation and visualisation. Visualisation as part of meditation in real life actually finds use in psychotherapy and in my opinion it is a great tool for this purpose. But I did it as to prepare people for the real delusions (seeing something floating in midair that isn't really there and such things).
I tell you that because it has to do with the whole energy stuff.
The energy of your mind. I was taught and I taught that with your mind you can do great things (move things, make things happen,...) and I was very sure that I have done such things and that I have experienced them, too.

Questions? Ask

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previously posted:
Leela's spirituality: About the soul
Leela's spirituality: Ghosts and Energies

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
21-03-2012, 03:36 PM
RE: Leela's spirituality: balance and energy
I've got a couple friends like that. Crystals, healing energy etc. Happy hippies. I like them. Batshit crazy but they seem to have a happy life. I guess it's like any religion, you have to take it seriously first, and once your on the *inside* then it's the outside world where people don't act like you that seems crazy.

[Image: Hand+with+Reflecting+Sphere+1935+Lithograph.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
21-03-2012, 06:21 PM
(21-03-2012 03:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  My mother had always put her hand on what hurt me and she called it her magic hand. Her coworker had taken her headache away with her hand, too. And now it was my time to heal with my hands. So all that was required is to put the hand there and "pull" the pain.
I still did that when I was an adult. By than I knew what I was pulling, the energies causing the pain, that was what I was pulling. Or so I believed.

When I first heard about Reiki some years ago now I thought that's some really seriously fucked up woowoo. But now that they've actually started to rigorously investigate it with some statistically significant results, I'm withholding judgment. Think they're gonna have a real doozy of a time coming up with a mechanism of action, though.

Oh, and now every time I see a post from Leela the image of Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile is gonna pop in my head. ... Well at least Malleus don't have to worry about me hitting on his wife. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi Leela.

Like morondog said, I have friends who believe similar or live by similar principles. From my aunt who is a witch to a friend who meditates constantly and thinks the he is in touch wih spirit.

I still have problems with these though. You hear all sorts of claims such as moving objects etc, but none can ever be demonstrated. If you ever meet anyone that can, tell them to call the JREF they have a million dollars waiting for them.

I also think that bad things/thoughts go unpunished all the time, whilst equally, good can go unrewarded. Personally I see most of the energy stuff as a placebo effect, not just opinion but from personal experience too.

Whilst I understand balance in ones life being desirable I don't believe there is anything outside effecting us, it is an admirable goal for those that wish to achieve it. It is also very nice to think that all life balances out over a lifetime, making life just. Unfortunately I do not think this is what happens in the real world.

There may very well be energies out there that we are yet to discover let alone understand. I would imagine that if there are though, they are not balancing or guiding us. If they are then they do a pretty shitty job.

This is of course just my opinion. I am always open to new information, so please feel free to change it for me.

Sorry if I have misunderstood any of what you was trying to convey, please correct away or expand your thoughts as needed.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
21-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote: There may very well be energies out there that we are yet to discover let alone understand.

I am quite sure there are, we only know what we can perceive with our senses or otherwise measure.

I know enough to know that we don't know a whole lot. But we're learning.

There is something beneficial in meditation for sure. It's kind of rejuvinating. I think it's just the relaxation, it lets the body relax completely.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I think when you look at the knowledge the human race has gained in recent centuries and see just how different our world view is now, it would be extremely arrogant to think we are even close to knowing whats what. I'm sure even some pretty established theories will have to dramatically adapt or be replaced.

From looking at the discoveries we have made I think it is sensible to presume that if anything else is discovered it will be a natural force. Whether it is one we can manipulate, who knows.

I do agree about it being useful for meditation etc. as a tool for visualization it gives a mechanism that can be used. As useful as it is though, I see no reason to attribute it to anything other than the power of suggestion, and how the physical body reacts to that suggestion.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
22-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Well I broke contact pretty much with all the esotheric people I knew. I would feel very bad to tell them all the time that what they believe is bs and that there is no proof of all those things.

And about mediation, as I mentioned I did it for a long long time. I still feel like doing it from time to time, I do miss it. Not for the esotheric part but for the relaxing, clearing part. to get my head free and into a real state of relaxation, I do miss it. But I connect too much of it with that whole witchy thing so right now I am not doing that.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2012, 02:54 PM
This is how I've always justified the witch hunts of the 16-18 centuries. the fact that there are people today who fully believe that they are a witch. Imagine what it was like 300 years ago when most people believed witches were powerful and not just a couple of nutters like we do today.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
22-03-2012, 03:15 PM
(22-03-2012 02:54 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  This is how I've always justified the witch hunts of the 16-18 centuries. the fact that there are people today who fully believe that they are a witch. Imagine what it was like 300 years ago when most people believed witches were powerful and not just a couple of nutters like we do today.

How much do you know about these witch hunts? From what I've heard they were just as senseless as e.g. the ones in Nigeria which go on in the present day. In other words, barbaric bullshit. They used to *burn* people to death.
22-03-2012, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 05:01 PM by Luminon.)
(21-03-2012 03:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  Hi everybody

So this is not about any christian topic, just warning.
It's about the belief system I am coming from.
I am not believing since about 2 years, I mean I strongly don't believe anymore since that time. I had my doubts before that and I had a similar jouney as many of you. The more I tried and searched the less I could believe.
Hi. You're quite a special person, you know. There are lots of ex-Christian atheists, but you're the only one ex-New Age atheist I know about. I want to say, it is all right not to believe. Belief or faith is a good motivation, but it must not become the goal itself, it must always lead to something real. Belief for the sake of belief is something we'd better get rid of.

(21-03-2012 03:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  So what I learned from a young age is, that there are energies and that you can use them.
So I started using that with about 11 or 12.
My mother had always put her hand on what hurt me and she called it her magic hand. Her coworker had taken her headache away with her hand, too. And now it was my time to heal with my hands. So all that was required is to put the hand there and "pull" the pain.
Well, it really sort of feels like that. So as I understand, you were never really aware of these energies on your own? You were taught that they exist and what they do, but you didn't find that out for yourself?

(21-03-2012 03:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  So when I am talking about energies in spiritualism/esotheric I have to mention that this goes hand in hand with claims about the universe.
There are rules like when you think or do something bad, bad will come back upon you. This is because the universe/nature/the energies balance themselves out. I know this logic is faulty but that was the explanation. I am not supposed to do something bad and I will only learn from it if something bad happens to me too so in future I won't do the bad thing. And of course this also goes for positive things. If I think or do good, good things will happen to me.
You see, New Age teachings speak of action and reaction and some natural principles, but they don't really understand them, that would take some technical thinking. Maybe bad thoughts have consequences, but there is also the principle of inertia. Objects and events in the world already have some mass and velocity and overcoming that takes more energy than we're likely to produce with mere thoughts. Thoughts alone won't change much, specially not our brief, daily thoughts. Thoughts are rather important because actions come out of them.
The New Age delusion is in the idea, that to be good and spiritual means to act nice and pleasant to everyone. Which is not always the case, more often it only corrupts people and spoils them - makes them think that they can do to you anything they please. I know of some actual spiritual interventions for the good of the person involved, which included some yelling abuse and almost a kick in the ass.

Btw, in your situation instead of leaving a quartz crystal in the apartment, I'd fabricate a fake e-mail correspondence between me and a fictional repairman. I'd describe all the things wrong with the apartment and ask him how much would it cost to fix it all. Then I'd print the e-mails and "lose" the papers somewhere in the apartment, like under a sofa or between closet and a wall or something. But that's just my sneaky and vengful side Tongue

(21-03-2012 03:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  But it is not only the universe that has to balance itself, we as people have to do that too. Which is actually true, but how I grew up, it had to be via meditation, later on also via rituals (rituals will be another topic).
So I meditated like crazy. I started meditating with 9 years old and I kept doing it until I was like 25? Shortly before I left the whole thing anyway.
The meditation was only for a small part about actually doing magical stuff. Most of the time it was really to balance out myself. And I still feel like meditating a lot and I know it would be good for me but I connect it with my witchy life so much that I simply can't do it anymore. So I didn't do that for nearly 3 years now.
Back in the witchy days I actually hosted an online course on meditation and visualisation. Visualisation as part of meditation in real life actually finds use in psychotherapy and in my opinion it is a great tool for this purpose. But I did it as to prepare people for the real delusions (seeing something floating in midair that isn't really there and such things).
Wow, 9 years is way too young for meditation, I think. You seem like a living example of the necessity for moderation in what we do. We shouldn't burn out ourselves, the life's a marathon, not sprint.
I actually meditated for 2 hours today and I find that a great stimulant, I feel better all the week long. I can only recommend that. Of course, not all kinds of meditation are equally effective.

(21-03-2012 03:18 PM)Leela Wrote:  I tell you that because it has to do with the whole energy stuff.
The energy of your mind. I was taught and I taught that with your mind you can do great things (move things, make things happen,...) and I was very sure that I have done such things and that I have experienced them, too.
Very well... Did you ever think what for? Why should we move things? What sorts of event should we make happen?
There is certainly nothing wrong with visualizing what we want to manifest in our lives. Of course, it can take several months or up to 2 years. And most importantly,
WE are parts of the universe, parts of the solution and we must too act on every opportunity that might lead to what we want to manifest. Lots of New Age hippies make that mistake of taking themselves out of the equation, as doing something by yourself would be cheating.
My parents used this technique a long time and there was surprisingly little misfortune and much success in our lives for past 25 years, compared to our neighbours, co-workers and so on.

(22-03-2012 02:54 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  This is how I've always justified the witch hunts of the 16-18 centuries. the fact that there are people today who fully believe that they are a witch. Imagine what it was like 300 years ago when most people believed witches were powerful and not just a couple of nutters like we do today.
Actually, "witches" can be powerful and dangerous. A witch can start a New Age group of meditation/healing/balancing/harmonizing, throw in some catchy words like Christ energy and harmony yoga and then collect some substantial cash. Weekly. Often the "witch" is a genuine medium with channeling messages by a voice in head and knows how to make people feel things and get them interested in channeled drivel.

Of course, all the words they use have seldom anything to do with the actual Christ or initiation, these are highly esoteric and technical concepts found in due literature. Using them without meaning is an equivalent of pseudoscience. The true esotericism isn't for everyone, it requires a substantial intellect, intuition and experience. If many people could do it, chances are, that it is nothing special. But people can sit in a crowd of 300 and still feel chosen.
I know of one "good witch", but I'd rather not speak of her. She is a powerful person, but quite unlike how people imagine spiritual folks and she's a good example of how our perception of the "spiritual" is skewed.