Left Behind rapture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 07:28 PM
RE: Left Behind rapture
Gasp And who's going to do my hair? Dammit, if I'm going to be killed by an unsanitized telephone I at least want to look good doing it.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
10-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Quote:Question? Is this what Christianity comes down to?

Yes. Total fucking bullshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-01-2017, 07:31 PM
(10-01-2017 06:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  All the christians, suddenly gone ?
I'd miss some family members, but on the whole, the world would be a better place.
Can we rapture the Muslims too ?

No need. Just point at B Ark and shout, "The Christians are all in there!"

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
10-01-2017, 07:43 PM
This takes me back. When I was coming of age in the 1970s, Hal Lindsey's Late, Great Planet Earth was a Christian best-seller, and cashed in on the paranoia immediately after the Six Day War. In the 80s, he was suggesting that decade "might be the last one". Tellingly, one of his more recent books was titled, Vanished Into Thin Air: The Hope of Every Believer. Make of that what you will.

Tim LaHaye was of course the guy who produced the "Left Behind" series of novels starting in the mid 90s, seven of which reached NY Times best-seller status. Jerry Falwell, who LaHaye urged to found the Moral Majority, exulted rather grandiloquently that LaHaye's books had a greater impact on Christianity than any book other than the Bible. So it was a big deal in evangelical circles, a regular phenomenon.

I am not sure whether this end-of-the-world stuff is still as popular as it was in the last three decades of the 20th century. I think it was helped along by angst over Mutually Assured Destruction and the like, as such fears made the final "Battle of Armageddon" seem more plausible.
11-01-2017, 04:17 AM
(10-01-2017 06:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  All the christians, suddenly gone ?
I'd miss some family members, but on the whole, the world would be a better place.
Can we rapture the Muslims too ?

Rahn,

Actually, there was a muslim character in the film, a kindly, thoughtful and obviously devout young man. He was left behind.

Nice dog whistle there for the haters.

D.
11-01-2017, 05:53 AM
(10-01-2017 07:43 PM)mordant Wrote:  This takes me back. When I was coming of age in the 1970s, Hal Lindsey's Late, Great Planet Earth was a Christian best-seller, and cashed in on the paranoia immediately after the Six Day War. In the 80s, he was suggesting that decade "might be the last one". Tellingly, one of his more recent books was titled, Vanished Into Thin Air: The Hope of Every Believer. Make of that what you will.

Tim LaHaye was of course the guy who produced the "Left Behind" series of novels starting in the mid 90s, seven of which reached NY Times best-seller status. Jerry Falwell, who LaHaye urged to found the Moral Majority, exulted rather grandiloquently that LaHaye's books had a greater impact on Christianity than any book other than the Bible. So it was a big deal in evangelical circles, a regular phenomenon.

I am not sure whether this end-of-the-world stuff is still as popular as it was in the last three decades of the 20th century. I think it was helped along by angst over Mutually Assured Destruction and the like, as such fears made the final "Battle of Armageddon" seem more plausible.

Way back when Iraq's Saddam Hussein attacked Iran and started a war, there was a big squirt of biblical prophesying that that presaged the end of the world and the second coming. A little googling shows that the end of the worlders are back at it again with the rise of ISIL. And of course, the ISIL idiots have been prophesying their version of the end of the world. Among the Christians, it just hasn't caught fire, I think we are all a little burned out on end of the world - rapture fantasies. The large rise in numbers of Nones since the days of Hal Lindsey, Pat Robertson et al may have something to do with the lose of enthusiasm of such silliness.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
11-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Pick one:

1. The LeftButtCheekers have never read Revelations.

2. 1. The LeftButtCheekers have never read Revelations for comprehension.

3. 1. The LeftButtCheekers have never read Revelations and learned that it was a political polemic about the times when the author was alive.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
11-01-2017, 06:18 PM
You may laugh even harder at the God Awful Movies breakdown of the trilogy. Having seen these turds, their walkthrough was sidesplittingly funny.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/scathing...0-46485765

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/scathing...e-46485764

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/scathing...e-46485764

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post