Left Wing Media Bias: Cleveland Police Officer Acquitted of Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Left Wing Media Bias: Cleveland Police Officer Acquitted of Shooting
So on Friday a Cleveland judge acquitted a police officer for manslaughter charges in relation to the a car chase and subsequent shooting. Here is the highly touted NY Times on this issue:

Quote:A police officer who climbed onto the hood of a car after a chase in 2012 and fired repeatedly at its unarmed occupants, both of them black, was acquitted of manslaughter on Saturday by an Ohio judge.

The trial of the white officer, Michael Brelo, following harrowing episodes in communities such as Baltimore, Staten Island and Ferguson, Mo., played out amid broader questions of how the police interact with African-Americans and use force, in Cleveland and across the country.

Officer Brelo, 31, was one of 13 officers who fired 137 rounds at Timothy Russell and his passenger, Malissa Williams, who were killed after a chase through the area on Nov. 29, 2012. Officer Brelo fired his Glock 17 pistol 49 times, including at least 15 shots after he reloaded and climbed onto the hood of Mr. Russell’s 1979 Chevrolet Malibu and the other officers had stopped firing.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/us/mic....html?_r=0

No mention of how the car attempted to run down a police officer:

Quote:"He drove straight at Wilfredo Diaz, a police officer who jumped out of his car to try to arrest Russell when the Malibu appeared stuck on the grass island?s curb. As Diaz dove out of the way he fired three shots at the Malibu. Still the car accelerated down the driveway, straight at Brelo and Moore in car 217" [1]

Nor how the car rammed an occupied patrol car:

Quote:"He had just rammed into car 238 but his car was not so wedged against 238, or blocked by 217, to keep him from continuing to use the car as a deadly weapon. The possibility that car 238 could have been pushed by the Malibu to pin Brelo to the ground was not imaginary. Second, up to three other
officers were not convinced." [1]

The NY Times article does not even provide a link to the court summary, the arguments, or the evidence.

Given that the car was reported (mistakenly) to have an armed passenger following a mistaken gun shot, combined with the shot fired by the officer nearly run over cop, and then the ramming of the occupied patrol car; I can see how the police felt it was necessary to use deadly force.

This is precluding the ability to determine which of the shots from what officer caused the death.

What is with the shoddy reporting. It seems that the media has become into a beast that wants to stir conflict instead of presenting the evidence of a case so the public can judge

[1] http://www.cleveland.com/courtjustice/in...ision.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gatheist's post
26-05-2015, 11:59 AM
RE: Left Wing Media Bias: Cleveland Police Officer Acquitted of Shooting
Media is biased, there is nothing surprising there. The question is which one is more biased towards fantasy and which more towards reality.

It seems to me that reality has a liberal bias Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
26-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Highly touted NY Times? What decade to you think this is?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-05-2015, 12:01 PM
It also turns out that you can probably blame ol' Reagan himself for the unfair bias in media with the repeal of FAIR.
http://fair.org/extra-online-articles/th...-doctrine/

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
26-05-2015, 12:05 PM
If the law is enforced against blackies it's automatically racism.
26-05-2015, 12:19 PM
(26-05-2015 12:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Highly touted NY Times? What decade to you think this is?

I grew up at the American School in Taipei. We read the NY Times as the standard for the current events instruction for the History class.

P.S. I am not asking to the media to justify the shooting but I find omitting key details to the incident to be remiss in their duties and obligations as journalists. In fact, while writing for the schools newspaper, I am certain that if my reporting was this shoddy; they would have suspended me from my position.

Now it has become that I have to watch MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News then parse out the agenda to come close to a real story. Unless, if I watch PBS Newshour.
[+] 2 users Like Gatheist's post
26-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Rather than argue about which media "got it right" --

How about the weight of evidence - that was in the courtroom????

We didn't see that --- so we really don't have any real basis for deciding guilt or innocence ----

except our preconceptions....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-05-2015, 04:02 PM
(26-05-2015 12:19 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  I grew up at the American School in Taipei.

Taipei? Now there's a blast from the past! It's been decades since I was there. Loved the place, loved the food and loved the women! Thumbsup
26-05-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2015 04:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-05-2015 11:51 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  [1] http://www.cleveland.com/courtjustice/in...ision.html

Your link no take me where you think it take me. It appears you have omitted key details. It also appears that GigglyMess didn't even bother trying to read it before liking it and providing his own unfounded racist commentary.

#sigh
26-05-2015, 04:45 PM
(26-05-2015 12:05 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  If the law is enforced against blackies it's automatically racism.

"Blackies"???

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost