Left Wing Media Bias: Cleveland Police Officer Acquitted of Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 07:01 AM
RE: Left Wing Media Bias: Cleveland Police Officer Acquitted of Shooting
(26-05-2015 10:48 PM)Gatheist Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 07:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So what did you want the judge to do ? Say "Well, his shots probably were some of the ones that killed the guy, so even though we're not sure let's just pretend we can assume they did". The fact is the cops are far from off the hook. Corrupting small steps to engineer the outcome someone thinks is convenient is a pretty slippery slope. This cop will eventually get fired, as will many others.

The police department can do whatever legally permitted actions they want with the contract of employment. So long as it is within the confines of union agreements.

Not any more. The Justice Department imposed a Consent Decree on Cleveland yesterday.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2015, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 08:58 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(26-05-2015 04:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 04:52 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, there's a term that makes him sound more racist? I don't think so.

He's just your average low intelligence internet troll that thinks he is unique and provocative when he is just trite and pedantic. He just so wants to get some attention because girls don't like him and he has no real friends.

Just another kid who thinks being loud is more important than actually having soemthing worth saying. The forums history is full of them and I don't remember a one of their names. Footnotes the lot of them.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
30-05-2015, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2015 02:59 PM by BnW.)
(26-05-2015 11:51 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  So on Friday a Cleveland judge acquitted a police officer for manslaughter charges in relation to the a car chase and subsequent shooting. Here is the highly touted NY Times on this issue:

Quote:A police officer who climbed onto the hood of a car after a chase in 2012 and fired repeatedly at its unarmed occupants, both of them black, was acquitted of manslaughter on Saturday by an Ohio judge.

The trial of the white officer, Michael Brelo, following harrowing episodes in communities such as Baltimore, Staten Island and Ferguson, Mo., played out amid broader questions of how the police interact with African-Americans and use force, in Cleveland and across the country.

Officer Brelo, 31, was one of 13 officers who fired 137 rounds at Timothy Russell and his passenger, Malissa Williams, who were killed after a chase through the area on Nov. 29, 2012. Officer Brelo fired his Glock 17 pistol 49 times, including at least 15 shots after he reloaded and climbed onto the hood of Mr. Russell’s 1979 Chevrolet Malibu and the other officers had stopped firing.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/us/mic....html?_r=0

No mention of how the car attempted to run down a police officer:

Quote:"He drove straight at Wilfredo Diaz, a police officer who jumped out of his car to try to arrest Russell when the Malibu appeared stuck on the grass island?s curb. As Diaz dove out of the way he fired three shots at the Malibu. Still the car accelerated down the driveway, straight at Brelo and Moore in car 217" [1]

Nor how the car rammed an occupied patrol car:

Quote:"He had just rammed into car 238 but his car was not so wedged against 238, or blocked by 217, to keep him from continuing to use the car as a deadly weapon. The possibility that car 238 could have been pushed by the Malibu to pin Brelo to the ground was not imaginary. Second, up to three other
officers were not convinced." [1]

The NY Times article does not even provide a link to the court summary, the arguments, or the evidence.

Given that the car was reported (mistakenly) to have an armed passenger following a mistaken gun shot, combined with the shot fired by the officer nearly run over cop, and then the ramming of the occupied patrol car; I can see how the police felt it was necessary to use deadly force.

This is precluding the ability to determine which of the shots from what officer caused the death.

What is with the shoddy reporting. It seems that the media has become into a beast that wants to stir conflict instead of presenting the evidence of a case so the public can judge

[1] http://www.cleveland.com/courtjustice/in...ision.html

So, I just read the entire opinion from the trial judge and then read the NY Times article. I don't know this is left-wing media bias but I agree with the OP that the Times really did a disservice to the officer. The trial opinion goes into a lot of details on the incident. The suspects were either dead or dying when Breslo jumped on that hood and opened fire, but there was no way to know that.

Based on the rendition of the facts given, I'm surprised he was charged.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost