Left handed amino acids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Left handed amino acids
A few years ago Neil DeGrasse Tyson was on a show (can't remember what the show was) explaining the universe was left or right handed. For instance, there are left handed amino acids.

Ok you science nerds, I'm curious. Explain to this artsy-fartsy dancing fool what the hell this is. Did I even remember this correctly? Sounds interesting what ever it is.

Thanks!Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
RE: Left handed amino acids
I was registerd and banned on and from several atheist forums and never encounterd a single scientist on any.

The only scientist I got to know via the internet is a mathematician on a pc gaming forum.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
(11-09-2015 04:51 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I was registerd and banned on and from several atheist forums and never encounterd a single scientist on any.

The only scientist I got to know via the internet is a mathematician on a pc gaming forum.

There are multiple people of degree and working credentials of science on here routinely.

All I know is it related to studying frozen meteorite fragments and such things.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Amino acids can twist in one direction or the other. For some reason, all life on Earth is made of one version, never the other. The other versions can be found in nature, but never in living things. I don't think anybody knows why. Sometimes when you synthesize amino acids, you get both versions. But living things only make the one version. Again, I don't think anybody knows why. Yet. There are always new questions, and eventually someone finds an answer and they move on to other questions. This one remains a mystery for the time being.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
11-09-2015, 08:02 PM
There was just an article about this in my Facebook feed - which has like every science reference in it (and Gwynnies), actually thought you were posting that article. It's chirality... Imma go google-fu some shit, brb.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2015, 08:06 PM
(11-09-2015 07:44 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Amino acids can twist in one direction or the other. For some reason, all life on Earth is made of one version, never the other. The other versions can be found in nature, but never in living things. I don't think anybody knows why. Sometimes when you synthesize amino acids, you get both versions. But living things only make the one version. Again, I don't think anybody knows why. Yet. There are always new questions, and eventually someone finds an answer and they move on to other questions. This one remains a mystery for the time being.

Yeah, one of the reasons I ask is that someone I know claims it's a part of intelligent design. Hobo If it's a fuckin mystery then it must be fuckin god. Christ, people drive me crazy sometimes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-09-2015, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 08:41 PM by houseofcantor.)
Dammit, you made me get up - I don't know why this site works like ass on the iPad now - and, go figure, the article I was going to link to is on a site presently - like just this second - down for maintenance. Laugh out load

So to share my misery - here's the creation dot com link. Tongue

This article is dated later than the creation crap posted above, and had too many points of interest for a cut and paste summary.

The breakdown of the problem is that if you shake up a bunch of ingredients to make an RNA precursor, you end up with basically a balanced mix of handedness; and according to the article, that's a non-starter. So some conditions must have favored one chiral form over another; the question is what conditions and where along the timeline of life's development. The only way to become reasonably certain is to develop precursors and see what works, which the catz in article are on about. Wink

living word
11-09-2015, 08:40 PM
(11-09-2015 08:23 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dammit, you made me get up - I don't know why this site works like ass on the iPad now - and, go figure, the article I was going to link to is on a site presently - like just this second - down for maintenance. Laugh out load

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/f...-left.html

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes Ted Tucker's post
11-09-2015, 08:42 PM
(11-09-2015 08:40 PM)Ted Tucker Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:23 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dammit, you made me get up - I don't know why this site works like ass on the iPad now - and, go figure, the article I was going to link to is on a site presently - like just this second - down for maintenance. Laugh out load

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/f...-left.html

Dude, I was fixing that. Tongue

living word
11-09-2015, 08:51 PM
New you had it under control. My iPad is also not playing well with the forum?? There is that spooky action thing...must be proof for the existence of God.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein