Left handed amino acids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 03:53 PM
RE: Left handed amino acids
(14-09-2015 10:48 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 10:44 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I believe thalidomide is given as a 1:1 mixture of both enantiomers. This is most likely due to the fact that even if the one beneficial enantiomer were administered, it will racemize or be converted into a mixture of both enantiomers in the body. Although, this can happen with thalidomide (and Advil), it doesn't necessarily happen with all chiral drugs (or compounds). This racemization is a function of their structures (suffice it to say they have an acidic alpha-hydrogen on the chiral carbon...)

I found this on a website.

"Thalidomide is a sedative drug that was prescribed to pregnant women, from 1957 into the early 60's. It was present in at least 46 countries under different brand names. "When taken during the first trimester of pregnancy, Thalidomide prevented the proper growth of the foetus, resulting in horrific birth defects in thousands of children around the world" [1]. Why? The Thalidomide molecule is chiral. There are left and right-handed Thalidomides, just as there are left and right hands. The drug that was marketed was a 50/50 mixture. One of the molecules, say the left one, was a sedative, whereas the right one was found later to cause foetal abnormalities. "The tragedy is claimed to have been entirely avoidable had the physiological properties of the individual thalidomide [molecules] been tested prior to commercialization [2]."

Well that explains a lot. I was born in '62 and my mom took thalidomide. Hobo

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2015, 03:59 PM
(14-09-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 10:48 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I found this on a website.

"Thalidomide is a sedative drug that was prescribed to pregnant women, from 1957 into the early 60's. It was present in at least 46 countries under different brand names. "When taken during the first trimester of pregnancy, Thalidomide prevented the proper growth of the foetus, resulting in horrific birth defects in thousands of children around the world" [1]. Why? The Thalidomide molecule is chiral. There are left and right-handed Thalidomides, just as there are left and right hands. The drug that was marketed was a 50/50 mixture. One of the molecules, say the left one, was a sedative, whereas the right one was found later to cause foetal abnormalities. "The tragedy is claimed to have been entirely avoidable had the physiological properties of the individual thalidomide [molecules] been tested prior to commercialization [2]."

Well that explains a lot. I was born in '62 and my mom took thalidomide. Hobo

I just figured it had more to do with those times she "accidentally" dropped you.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
14-09-2015, 04:02 PM
(14-09-2015 03:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well that explains a lot. I was born in '62 and my mom took thalidomide. Hobo

I just figured it had more to do with those times she "accidentally" dropped you.

I don't even know... Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2015, 06:01 PM
(14-09-2015 10:48 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I found this on a website.

"Thalidomide is a sedative drug that was prescribed to pregnant women, from 1957 into the early 60's. It was present in at least 46 countries under different brand names. "When taken during the first trimester of pregnancy, Thalidomide prevented the proper growth of the foetus, resulting in horrific birth defects in thousands of children around the world" <...snip...> "The tragedy is claimed to have been entirely avoidable had the physiological properties of the individual thalidomide [molecules] been tested prior to commercialization [2]."

In the United States the FDA never approved Thalidomide, on the grounds that there had not been sufficient testing. This saved a bucketload of children. In Europe it was given a faster track because a sedative for pregnant women was considered too important to delay. In the aftermath, European countries got stricter.

Without government regulation, we'd be flooded with inadequately-tested drugs.

It's too bad the morons in Congress are too fucking stupid to allow the FDA to require proof of efficacy for supplements and bullshit like acupuncture and homeopathy.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
14-09-2015, 08:03 PM
(14-09-2015 06:01 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  It's too bad the morons in Congress are too fucking stupid to allow the FDA to require proof of efficacy for supplements and bullshit like acupuncture and homeopathy.

You can thank Orrin Hatch for that. Apparently Utah is a major player in the supplement business. On the other hand he did manage to keep a number of hormones avaialable OTC like melatonin, DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone ... So I thank him for that.

#sigh
14-09-2015, 08:03 PM
(14-09-2015 06:01 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  It's too bad the morons in Congress are too fucking stupid to allow the FDA to require proof of efficacy for supplements and bullshit like acupuncture and homeopathy.

You can thank Orrin Hatch for that. Apparently Utah is a major player in the supplement business. On the other hand he did manage to keep a number of hormones avaialable OTC like melatonin, DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone ... So I thank him for that.

#sigh