Leftover ham...what can I do with it...Cooks needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Leftover ham...what can I do with it...Cooks needed
So the Christmas ham yielded a LOT of leftover meat and I need some ideas as to how to use it...any ideas?

Please keep in mind that cooking isn't my strong suit. I do have multiple crockpots so recipes for those would be fine and I think I will dig out the small food processor and make some ham salad.

I hate to waste all that meat...oh, there is a bone in it, so that's available too.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 07:37 PM
RE: Leftover ham...what can I do with it...Cooks needed
Just eat it out of a tub when you have the munchies... that is what I do with leftovers. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
27-12-2012, 07:38 PM
(27-12-2012 07:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So the Christmas ham yielded a LOT of leftover meat and I need some ideas as to how to use it...any ideas?

Please keep in mind that cooking isn't my strong suit. I do have multiple crockpots so recipes for those would be fine and I think I will dig out the small food processor and make some ham salad.

I hate to waste all that meat...oh, there is a bone in it, so that's available too.
The ham bone is a good basis for stock for soup; pea soup, bean soup.

Ham salad is good, also ham sandwiches, ham and eggs, eggs Benedict.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm with Chas on this one. The best after-Christmas cold-weather use of ham is a nice bean soup.

My kids love Monte Cristos with our leftover. They've had me make them twice already. (There are lots of recipes on the internet, but going for simple and kid-friendly: Two slices bread, texas toast is great for this, a slice of ham, a slice of turkey, and about three slices of swiss cheese. After you get the sandwich together, make up some french toast batter, eggs and milk beaten together. Set the sandwich in the batter for a minute, flip over, then fry. I use lower heat than you would for french toast so the cheese has time to melt.)

You can make these with whatever you have. They are rich and decadent and my kids are nuts for them.
[+] 1 user Likes ScienceGeek2587's post
27-12-2012, 07:55 PM
What I'd do with leftover ham? I'd cook it and fucking eat it, that's what I'd do. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
27-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks Logica...was hoping for a little more detail...but you got the gist of it. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Not really a recipe, but I love to make a Ham, Cream Cheese, and Bagel sandwich after Christmas. Pretty much the only time of year we have ham, and a simple sandwich can be really enjoyable. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
27-12-2012, 08:19 PM
If you really do have lots, don't make yourself sick of it. Instead, keep back enough for some sandwiches, dice some up into your pea soup (I'll give you an easy crock pot recipe next time I go to the kitchen) then take the rest, dice it up into cubes, and divide it into half pound portions (or perhaps quarter pound, you'll get the idea when you see it in the bag). Put each portion into a ziplock, and submerge the open bag into water, keeping the very top above water. Basically, just push as much air out as you can. Now close it up, toss it in the freezer, and next time you make omlettes, sandwiches, soup, fried rice, or whatever else you feel like adding ham to, all you gotta do is defrost.

You'll use it up in no time and be wishing you'd made a ham twice as big. Key is not getting sick of it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
27-12-2012, 08:23 PM
If you were closer, I'd send George over. That would take care of the problem with the quickness. Thumbsup

But I don't cook. We got one of them, and ya know what Imma do to it? Knife. Belly. Done. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
27-12-2012, 08:25 PM
......pro tip: as the ham freezes, take the bag out of the freezer and give it a shake. Try to keep the ham cube separate. That way you can open a bag, grab a handful (it ends up being the consistency of hash browns from a bag) and not even worry about portions. It can be tricky, but ready handy. You can use a cookie sheet "blueberry style" if you like, but you may get a touch of freezer burn that way. Not a biggie though.

So many cats, so few good recipes.