Legal Zoom?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Legal Zoom?
Anybody have any experience with Legal Zoom or other on-line legal services? I've been thinking I should break down and set up a will. It won't be complicated but I'm wondering if it'd be smart to maybe spend a little more and have it done by an attorney even if it is a very simple one.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2015, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 12:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Legal Zoom?
(04-10-2015 11:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  It won't be complicated but I'm wondering if it'd be smart to maybe spend a little more and have it done by an attorney even if it is a very simple one.

Depends on how complicated you estate is. Mine is simple. Wife is joint owner on almost every asset I have. And living will and shit.

As for Legal Zoom I know a schoolmate who is heavy into that shit. My read is that they are just another pyramid scheme like Amway which are legal only because they are providing material at each level.

They're trying to sell me shit I don't think worth buying. I can google shit myself.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
I'll set up your will for you - if you'll leave everything to me......

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Legal Zoom?
If you're even wondering, I'd suggest getting an attorney who specializes in this field.

I am not a lawyer, and that is just friendly advice.
06-10-2015, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 03:17 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(04-10-2015 11:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Anybody have any experience with Legal Zoom or other on-line legal services? I've been thinking I should break down and set up a will. It won't be complicated but I'm wondering if it'd be smart to maybe spend a little more and have it done by an attorney even if it is a very simple one.

If you own some assets like a house you might consider setting up a living trust instead of a will. Basically what that entails is creating a legal entity called the "Unfogged Living Trust". You are named as the trustee and your heirs are named as successor trustees should you face your demise. Then all your assets, house, bank accounts, etc are signed over to the trust. Since you are the trustee...you control those assets. You don't own them anymore though....because they belong to the trust. Controlling assets is really just as good as owning them.

Why do this? Because your heirs will avoid probate. But there is even a better reason. If your heirs are unwilling to wipe your ass for you when that time comes and they decide to ship you off to some nursing home, you won't have any assets cause you signed them over to your trust. This means medicaid will pay for your nursing home immediately instead of first requiring you to liquidate your assets(including the home you owned) before they begin to pay.

Living Trusts are a way to preserve your wealth for you heirs while getting all the other suckers....I mean tax payers....to pay for some fat slob like EK or Morondog with ice cold hands to wipe your ass, change your diapers, and spoon feed you pureed carrots until you finally take that dirt nap you've been longing for.
06-10-2015, 05:28 AM
(04-10-2015 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 11:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  It won't be complicated but I'm wondering if it'd be smart to maybe spend a little more and have it done by an attorney even if it is a very simple one.

Depends on how complicated you estate is. Mine is simple. Wife is joint owner on almost every asset I have. And living will and shit.

As for Legal Zoom I know a schoolmate who is heavy into that shit. My read is that they are just another pyramid scheme like Amway which are legal only because they are providing material at each level.

They're trying to sell me shit I don't think worth buying. I can google shit myself.

Is your friend into Legal Zoom or Legal Sheild (formerly Prepaid Legal)? Legal Sheild is a MLM "business." I think Legal Zoom is a normal, online service - no pyramids required.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
06-10-2015, 06:18 AM
(06-10-2015 05:28 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Depends on how complicated you estate is. Mine is simple. Wife is joint owner on almost every asset I have. And living will and shit.

Is your friend into Legal Zoom or Legal Sheild (formerly Prepaid Legal)? Legal Sheild is a MLM "business." I think Legal Zoom is a normal, online service - no pyramids required.

Legal Shield Independent Associate. Thanks for the clarification.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus