Legalisation of Marijuana

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2010, 07:07 PM
RE: Legalisation of Marijuana
back in the mid-late 70's, when I smoked a lot of pot, we all thought it would be legalized by now. We sure were wrong. I quit smoking pot a long time ago, but I still think it should be legal. Alcohol is far far far more dangerous in every way. Alcohol IS the gateway drug. If I had never drank, I would have never smoked pot. I never wanted to try any hard drugs though; the people that did them always creeped me out. Plus, I knew that hard drugs like coke and speed are physically addictive.
Pot should be legal, and taxed and regulated just like alcohol. It would allow law enforcement people to concentrate their efforts on drugs that REALLY harm society because they are physically addictive. Pot just makes a person lazy and hungry.
It is interesting to me that the main opponents of the legalization of pot in California (on the ballot in Nov.) are the alcohol and pharmaceutical companies. Gee, I wonder why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Penn an Teller's Bullshit! episode on the War on Drugs changed my mind, and I'm all for legalization of pot. Personally I would never smoke the stuff out of mainly personal cowardice, Tongue but I know plenty of people that would, plenty of people that have, and plenty of people that do, and they're pretty average guys. With there being scientific data that shows alcohol is a stronger drug than marijuana (please correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course--Penn and Teller claimed there was), I don't see the point in keeping it illegal.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I´m all for the legalization. From all that I have read I can see no reason why ethanol should be legal, and not pot. Sometimes I even think it should be the other way around. "Who cares if you get in a car accident when your high? your only going 3 mph!" Big Grin

That said, I was recently working for a period in Holland, and i brought some knowledge and perspective home with me. Contrary to what people think, it is not legal to smoke weed in Holland. It is just not punishable. It is up to each city council to decide how to treat it. some are still quite conservative, and some have put up signs directing tourists to the nearest "coffee shop" as they are called.
What I saw in Rotterdam particularly was very uplifting. There they have weed bars where people gather to watch football matches, just like we would in a normal bar.

The ironic part is that you can´t smoke cigarettes in bars in Holland, but the ban does not cover weed! Exclamation

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
18-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow, I'm glad that pretty much everybody agrees with me ^.^
I really think weed should be legalised, for a few reasons:

1. It would lower the amount of drug crime, and as was mentioned, it would allow police to target those selling more dangerous drugs.

2. Access would be restricted to those of legal age (say 18). Kids would then have to find a boot to get weed, like they do for alcohol. At the moment, it is much easier for kids to get weed than to get alcohol.

3. Legal weed would have to go through processes to ensure its purity and safety. At the moment, highly concentrated strains of THC are being created in illegal weed, and many drug dealers are lacing weed with other, more highly addictive drugs to make their customers dependent.

4. It would take the profits out of the hands of criminals, and put it in the hands of the government, who can put the money into social programs, or education, etc.

5. Alcohol and nicotine are both legal, despite the fact that alcohol can be very deadly (look at all the deaths caused as a result of drinking and driving) and nicotine is very hazardous to not only the smoker's health, but to those around him/her. So there is no logical reason weed should be illegal.

6. Finally, it is a medical solution to many anxiety-related problems, as well as for chronic pains. Many pharmaceutical drugs are addictive, and are only meant to be used for a short-term. However, many people get stuck on a cycle where their doses need to be continually increased in order to produce the same effects. Also, many of these drugs have unpleasant side-effects, or as of yet, unknown effects on the brain. This may be true for some strains of weed as well, but at least weed is a more natural solution.

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I have an example that I think is quite important. There is a huge drug problem in the Canadian Forces. Because we have a small army, many soldiers have had numerous tours to Afghanistan, which strains their nerves. Many soldiers develop PTSD and other anxiety-related problems. Unfortunately, because of the military's very harsh stance on drugs, soldiers aren't even allowed medicinal marijuana, and if they are caught with weed, they'll be charged and sent to rehab. This is in a country where medicinal marijuana is legal, and weed is decriminalized. Many soldiers also turn to worse drugs like cocaine, heroin, and meth; soldiers caught with any of these drugs are treated the same as a soldier caught with weed (unless, of course, they are trafficking a large amount of illegal drugs; in that case, they go to military prison). Legalising weed would create a solution in which many soldiers would be relieved of their anxieties, and would prevent most of them from turning to worse drugs.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
18-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Fun article I popped up on my news feed today, thought you'd enjoy it guys Tongue

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/201...96916.html

19-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Why not legalize pot? The only bad effects (stupid stuff done when high does'nt count) are possible psychosises. The pot bought from streets has a very high content of CHT, BUT ''normal'' marihuana contains about 50/50 CHT and BCD (I do'nt remember if BCD is the correct name, but I'll call it it anyways). And BCD is good at preventing psychosis and other possible mental harms caused by THC. I'm surpriced that marijuana is'nt legalized even for breeding it to contain more BCD which could be used as effective medicine.
I might be very wrong, because I've learned that stuff from television.

I have never ever even seen real pot nor smoked it, and I probably wont.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
19-09-2010, 03:36 PM

While it may not directly affect your thinking capacity, all my friends who smoke it have experienced a tangible drop in their academic performance. I think it just promotes a lifestyle of laziness and being "chill" which can easily slip into complacence and failure. Of course, this refers to those of a high school age. So like all drugs, it must have a minimum age to acquire it. It won't stop teens from getting it, but they have no problem with that now either. I could make a few phone calls and get some myself if I wanted.
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 03:44 PM
(19-09-2010 03:36 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  While it may not directly affect your thinking capacity, all my friends who smoke it have experienced a tangible drop in their academic performance.I think it just promotes a lifestyle of laziness and being "chill" which can easily slip into complacence and failure.

I know a guy who smokes weed commonly, as well as drinks socially, and he just got his bachelors degree and is off to work on his masters now. While his drinking was a social thing, the weed took the edge off school for him, helped him cope with the stress. He had good grades too because he only smoked when he actually had the time. While I know that's walking down the razor's edge with addiction and dependence I just thought I'd mention it Tongue

19-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Likewise, my brother is a very successful accountant. He's been a regular pot smoker for 20 years. He also reads about quantum physics for fun. And the kicker is, he gets it!! (I don't smoke, don't even drink, and the introductions to the books he reads loose me). The way I see it is, if weed makes you feel lazy, only smoke it in your liesure time. If that leads to you being lazy all the time, you have bigger fish to fry.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I think it should be legal. Lord knows there are legal things you can do that are more dangerous.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert