Legalisation of Marijuana

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Legalisation of Marijuana
I'm curious to see what everybody's thoughts are about marijuana. Do you think it should be legal, decriminalized, or illegal? What are the reasons for your position?

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2010, 02:28 PM

RE: Legalisation of Marijuana
My only concern with marijuana use is the origin of the plant. Potheads will be potheads whether or not is legal or not. However, legalizing it may make it easier to grow the plant domestically, so marijuana users are not funding drug wars in Central America that lead to widespread destabilization and poverty.
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I found that there are only two problems with weed.

1) Fake weed

2) Overdosing

I have a friend who grows and dries his own cannabis with nothing added and he doesn't smoke more than once a day and he managed to drag his life up from nothing to something in just 6 months after starting. I also have other friends who use it irregularly who are holding normal lives.
I used to have 2 friends though who are both entirely messed up now because they got their weed from street dealers rather than from someone they knew who grew the plant.

Besides. I heard that it was only made illegal to save the lumber industry when someone found out what you could use Hemp for.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
16-09-2010, 06:25 PM

I live in a state that recently legalized medical marijuana. I thought I was all for it, but the effect of the legislation is starting to change my mind.

Crack-pot doctors with mobile clinics are EVERYWHERE handing out cards after 5-minute-visits. The abuse is horrible, and there are now as many pot pharmacies here as coffee houses.

In theory I think pot should be as legal as alcohol, but states better have some damn good regulatory measures in place.
16-09-2010, 06:35 PM
personally I'm a little sketchy on this subject, living near the slums I can see how fucked up people get by the stuff, half the people in any one of my classes probably get absolutely shit-faced when they get home from school.
But we have had conversations about the pros and cons so idk is all I can say on the subject.

The thing that bothers me is that if you want to outlaw it than don't let every niknak shop sell bongs, you're just inviting trouble by making this stuff readily accessible.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
17-09-2010, 02:40 AM

I'm against the so-called "war on drugs" - as with prostitution, many negative impacts are associated with making pot illegal - most having to do with the fact that you have to deal with criminals to obtain it (unless you grow your own, which carries with it the threat of huge criminal penalties if you grow more than a tiny amount).

Having used pot, however, I find it incompatible with the things I find important in life. As a scientist, I can't use it if I want to be able to think clearly and logically. I've written a whole essay about it here:

http://www.flame.org/~cdoswell/pot_criminalization.html

Therefore, I can't say it's entirely harmless. Like alcohol, there are some down sides. But if alcohol is legal, then so should pot be legal.
17-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm all for the legalization of pot for medicinal uses and I understand it has a lot of value in helping with things like glaucoma or fighting the effects of chemo for cancer patients.

As for whether it should be legal for recreational use, I doubt (but am not 100% sure) that it's all that worse for people than drinking. From what I've read, the idea that it's a "gateway" drug has been proven to be false. I also don't think it's any more addictive, and probably less so, then some of the legal drugs pharmaceutical companies produce and sell.

I also think that when you look at places it's legal, like Netherlands, their drug problem is no worse then in countries where it is legal, like the US and UK, and probably may be a little better.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Go ahead and legalize it. Just expand the "don't drink and drive" law to "don't drink and toke".

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2010, 11:54 AM
(16-09-2010 06:25 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I live in a state that recently legalized medical marijuana. I thought I was all for it, but the effect of the legislation is starting to change my mind.

Crack-pot doctors with mobile clinics are EVERYWHERE handing out cards after 5-minute-visits. The abuse is horrible, and there are now as many pot pharmacies here as coffee houses.

I find a major problem in North America is that we have a great immaturity when it comes to "grown-up" substances. That is to say, when we impose all these age restrictions on substances, 19 - 21 to drink, 18 to smoke, so on and so forth, we make kids curious. Children will rebel against their parents, some in different ways, but the majority of kids try alcohol before they even reach high school. Why? Because they're curious and their parents told them not to.

What's the first thing you do when someone tells you not to do something? Either do it, or wonder what it would be like to do it and (depending on the severity of the consequences) then do it. Now, I'm not saying kids are tempted to jump off cliffs because their parents tell them not to, the result to that is obvious, but kids don't know what alcohol will do.

Now, I'm on heavily about alcohol here, but marijuana is the same. Most kids will at least try smoking pot before they leave high school. Some will make it through without trying (myself included actually) but the majority at least try, if not become weekend tokers. Why? Because it is a foreign substance their parents absolutely forbid with no further explanation, peer pressure, and a system that attempts to repress drug culture unconditionally.

Kids are curious, we all are, trying pot for the first time is no different than trying calamari for the first time, it's something new and foreign, and you're curious for both firsts, naturally. The difference is that it isn't illegal to eat calamari, the cool kids don't sneak out of class to eat calamari in the parking lot, but they would if it was forbidden. When places, people, or foods, are forbidden our curiosity is piqued. Why? What makes it so bad?

Consider the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine is waiting for her boyfriend at the restaurant, her food arrives and the waitress says "Don't touch the plate, it's really hot". She immediately touches the place and burns her finger, the waitress then says, "Why did you do that? I told you it was hot!" and Elaine replies, "I just wanted to see what your definition of hot was."

It's the exact same thing. "Don't smoke pot, it's bad for you!" The kids then smoke pot, "Why did you smoke pot? I told you it was bad for you!"

"We just wanted to see what your definition of bad was... Pass the Cheetos?"

(16-09-2010 06:25 PM)athnostic Wrote:  In theory I think pot should be as legal as alcohol, but states better have some damn good regulatory measures in place.

That goes without saying though, doesn't it? ;P

17-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Pot should likely be legalized. I have smoked for 40 plus years, but as I have grown older it doesn't seem to have the attraction it once had. I have known people who greeted the day with a joint and smoked all day. Whenever I tried this it made me totally worthless, I used pot more like most people use alcohol I would smoke just enough in the afternoon to get a mild buzz and that does it for me. One of the main reasons to legalize can be seen nightly on news shows from Mexico, it is unreal the violence perpetrated on the Mexican border towns. Check out Alarma TV on the Estrella network at 10 PM EST.
every night the 30 min. show is full of bodies hung from bridges, decapitated, burned, or dismembered.
This is whole families, police officers, people from all walks of life and it is the U.S. appetite for illegal drugs that causes it. The war on drugs is over...drugs won.