Legalisation of Marijuana

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2010, 10:03 AM
RE: Legalisation of Marijuana
(25-09-2010 10:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  I sincerely was not trying to do anything like that. I was trying to make a point and felt it was a tough point to make without being obnoxious, so I tried to go with humorous. However, what is funny in my head may not always be funny out of context, so perhaps I failed.

In my head, though, it was absolutely hysterical. If my brain was a comedy club, I would have killed with that material.

Well, it was a good attempt ^.^ It's sometimes difficult to get things like humour across without being face to face. Part of the wonders of the internet Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm 4 pages late on this argument, but I think it's still worth posting.
Yes, marijuana should be legalized with the same restrictions as alcohol.

Why?

1: Make weed safer to smoke.

The legalization of marijuana would allow it to be regulated. Currently, many marijuana producers lace their weed with dangerous chemicals in order to minimize the money spent on producing the drug and maximize the profit made by selling it. By lacing the drug with other substances you can increase the addictiveness of the drug thus making your clients more likely to come back for more. Let's get one thing straight, weed really isn't as addictive as folks (mostly folks who haven't even smoked it before) make it out to be. Addiction to marijuana tends to be much more of a psychological dependency rather than physiological.

2. Taxation of Mary Jane

Legalizing marijuana would result in the taxation of marijuana sales, much like cigarettes. These tax dollars could be used to fund social services, education, and infrastructure.

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?conte...3410_93410 Wrote:Hard as it may be to believe, Canada's biggest agricultural product is an illegal plant. Various estimates peg this country's cannabis trade at considerably more than $7 billion in annual sales--twice as much as pig farming brings in, and almost three times more than wheat does. Even the mighty cattle industry, at $5.2 billion a year in revenue, lags behind the marijuana business for sheer size. There is no formal market and cultivation has to be done surreptitiously, and still, nothing brings in the green like grass does.

Anybody else think an extra few billion dollars a year would be handy?

3. Prisons.

According to Statistics Canada in 2006, out of every 100,000 Canadians 295 of those people were incarcerated for drug related crimes. How much does it cost to keep these folks in prison?

http://www.prisonjustice.ca/politics/facts_stats.html Wrote:Cost of incarcerating a Federal prisoner (2004/5):
$259.05 per prisoner/per day
Cost of incarcerating a Federal female prisoner (2004/5):
$150,000-$250,000 per prisoner/per year
Cost of incarcerating a Federal male prisoner (2004/5):
$87,665 per prisoner/per year
Cost of incarcerating a provincial prisoner (2004/5):
$141.78: per prisoner/per day

If the recreational use of marijuana were legalized tons of non-violent prisoners would be freed for their petty crimes. Sounds like an economic boost to me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Mindprowler- I agree with all of the above.

I'm actually not surprised that weed is such a large product in Canada. BC would easily become the richest province if weed were legalised, since it already exports so much. Think of all the funding! (Cheap post-secondary education, anyone?)

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Post secondary, public schools, infrastructure, social services, tax reduction, perhaps raising minimum wage, the possibilities are endless.

06-10-2010, 12:27 PM

7 billions in the US is chump change. However, it would still be something.

My weed smoking friend today told me that he would not like to see it legalized because he says that people like him are going to do it anyways, and so legalization will not affect them at all. However, legalization may encourage people who otherwise would not do it to do it, namely, intelligent people valuable to society, to do it. He says we cannot afford to lose them. I don't follow his logic completely, but I will admit that if it was legal, I would do it. My consciousness is just a temporary illusion after all, why not exploit all possibilities of experience?
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
that is completely illogical. It's not all about the "doing" or "not doing". It's about providing more tax dollars for (hopefully) infrastructure etc., taking some power away from the drug cartels, and eliminating some of the prison/court burden.
06-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Encouraging "intelligent people valuable to society" to do it?
Please tell me you're exaggerating... weed DOES NOT make you
a god damn couch zombie with no ambition like "peers" may tell you.
Being a lazy ass couch zombie makes you a lazy ass couch zombie. In
fact, after I started experimenting with marijuana my marks in school went
from C average to honor role in a semester. Legalizing marijuana is not about
getting more people to smoke it with, it's about the MASSIVE revenue it brings
in and the endless amount of services that could benefit from the extra tax bucks.

07-10-2010, 01:53 PM

(06-10-2010 11:49 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Encouraging "intelligent people valuable to society" to do it?
Please tell me you're exaggerating... weed DOES NOT make you
a god damn couch zombie with no ambition like "peers" may tell you.
Being a lazy ass couch zombie makes you a lazy ass couch zombie. In
fact, after I started experimenting with marijuana my marks in school went
from C average to honor role in a semester. Legalizing marijuana is not about
getting more people to smoke it with, it's about the MASSIVE revenue it brings
in and the endless amount of services that could benefit from the extra tax bucks.

Again, I was simply quoting a friend.
07-10-2010, 02:16 PM

(17-09-2010 02:40 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Having used pot, however, I find it incompatible with the things I find important in life. As a scientist, I can't use it if I want to be able to think clearly and logically.
There's the issue, right there. The entire point of pot is to get 'shit-faced' as it's so nicely put and forget your troubles.

Just like alcohol really. But then legalising it would make it uncool and because I live in a society where breaking the law is cool to my peers, i say it SHOULD be legal, but that would ruin the fun of it. Like underage drinking and sex.
07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
(07-10-2010 01:53 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Again, I was simply quoting a friend.

My mistake, I should have read more carefully.