Legalize pot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Legalize pot
(02-11-2012 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  It seems that drugs are illegal for moral or political reasons. They are either sinful or a threat to society.

However, most of the harm to society seems to be because they are illegal. Their illegality creates otherwise non-existent criminal behavior, with its harmful side effects for even those not involved.

If all drugs were legal, then the ill effects would be the same as for alcohol, i.e. health problems for users, addiction, impaired driving, other impaired behaviors. We already have mechanisms for dealing with these effects.

If we legalized drugs, most of the prison over-crowding would cease to exist, police assets could be redistributed, costs lowered.

The FDA would ensure purity, truth in labeling, etc.

I don't like having the nanny-state trying to coddle me. And if you think that I am sinful for using drugs, too fucking bad, it's none of your business.

And if you object because it would burden the health care system, shut up until we have socialized medicine - only then will that argument have any possible validity.
My sentiments precisely Chas.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 03:35 PM by Dark Light.)
(02-11-2012 02:09 PM)sandman Wrote:  A clarification : pot does cause cancer more so than cigarettes and is not used to treat it. It IS very useful to treat the nausea and anorexia that often accompanies cancer. Great for palliative care. Btw I have stopped prescribing OXY except for palliative care as it is the narcotic with the least side effects.
None of this is any reason to ban pot.
sandman, not that my argument hinges on it, because it certainly doesn't, but I am curious as to what data has shown marijuana alone to cause cancer? A link would be nice. The studies I have read is that smoking marijuana (opposed to vaporizers, and edibles) alone has not caused cancer but it may, when combined with tobacco smoke, make cancer more likely. Vaporizers and edibles have no known link to cancer as far as I can tell. I do know some government funded studies said that marijuana smoke may cause cancer, but without confirming a case.

Largest study of it's kind at the University of California

02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Cannabis is illegal for a reason. All those made up things that say it isn't bad for you, are all shite.
02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
(02-11-2012 05:29 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Cannabis is illegal for a reason.
Not a good enough reason though. I should be able to consume whatever the hell I want.

[Image: opforum1.png]
02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
(02-11-2012 05:29 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Cannabis is illegal for a reason. All those made up things that say it isn't bad for you, are all shite.
Doesn't matter. Freedom matters.

Fried food is bad for you.
Soft drinks are bad for you.
And so on.

Would you like there to be laws banning whatever someone else decides is bad for you?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 06:06 PM
(02-11-2012 05:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 05:29 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Cannabis is illegal for a reason. All those made up things that say it isn't bad for you, are all shite.
Doesn't matter. Freedom matters.

And so on.

Would you like there to be laws banning whatever someone else decides is bad for you?
Example, New York soft drinks....fucking disgusting! Chas you need to bash some Yankee heads up there.

02-11-2012, 06:11 PM
(02-11-2012 06:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 05:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  Doesn't matter. Freedom matters.

And so on.

Example, New York soft drinks....fucking disgusting! Chas you need to bash some Yankee heads up there.

Fuckin' cryptoFascist Bloomberg.

02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
(02-11-2012 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 06:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Example, New York soft drinks....fucking disgusting! Chas you need to bash some Yankee heads up there.

Fuckin' cryptoFascist Bloomberg.

Oooh ... I like it. Chas and Bloomberg in the Boxing Ring. ... Okay I'm gonna have to go by the color of their shorts 'cause they both look the same to me. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
(02-11-2012 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fuckin' cryptoFascist Bloomberg.

Oooh ... I like it. Chas and Bloomberg in the Boxing Ring. ... Okay I'm gonna have to go by the color of their shorts 'cause they both look the same to me. Big Grin
What? Girly, lay off the mind altering substances.

02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
(02-11-2012 12:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  II warned before I posted that most people on here would probably not agree with my opinion from a rights perspective, didn't even want to start it because I knew this is what would happen, but I did so reluctantly. You either think that governments should be allowed to regulate your personal behaviour when it harms no one else, or you don't, but for me it is immoral.

Even if you disagree with my thoughts on that all of my other points are valid, most of them are factual and the data reflects so. If you want to continue doing so one point at a time like Stark suggested by all means, make your case, one facet at a time when possible.

That, "[your] opinion from a rights perspective", along with you acting dismissively toward logic and reason, plus what seemed like lack of wisdom, with some other pieces of your ideas that I viewed as being based in pure naivety, which I'll ignore since it could be just me (being naive and unreasonable), that was really all taken together in, basically, your overall view toward the issue and expression of ideas toward the issue, that is what really bothered me.

Like I said before, I really don't think we have that much of a different view, in certain relevant regards, specifically toward this thread, in terms of legality of drugs, decriminalization, etc; it's really just a nuanced disagreement, that at a certain point, can either make things bigger, or even just seem bigger, than they actually are, in terms of our disagreement.

I might add to the discussion later (probably not No ), but arguing rhetorically and arguing the practicality of something, in a way kind of like political talking points, arguing about football teams, or writing a middle school level persuasive piece, which is what this conversation, basically, seems like it is turning into, or will be turned into, is something I view as kind of stupid. I could explain it long and thought out, talking about society, philosophy, morality, micro and macro economics, human behavior, government, policy, law, science, the effects of drug use, the causes of crime and how all of these tie together and have an impact on people, this discussion and how legalizing drugs, in detailed explanation of policy, should take place, but I highly doubt I want to do that. I'm pretty sure people wouldn't give a shit, at all. And I really kind of don't give much of a shit about what others think either. Hell, I kind of don't even know why I went on the previous redundant and annoying rant, or why I responded here.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell