Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but on prostitution, making it legal also frees up police time.
I don't know how accurate it is, but if TV and movies are anything to go off (which I know they're not but they are imbedded in a grain of truth), all police seem to do is bust middle aged men hiring some hooker.
Those police resources would be better spent tracking down dodgy customers and dodgy pimps etc.. to protect the girls (or boys, as DLJ pointed out).

I use to deliver Indian food and we have a couple brothels around town and I use to deliver to them regularly (customers would buy the girls dinner). They're hidden away, they're in a building and there's even a security guard. It's a much safer environment than some danky motel and getting into cars with strangers. It's also a better look for the community. You could walk past these buildings and never know they were a brothel, hell I use to walk past one of them all the time and I didn't know until I delivered food there. Far better look than trashy girls/guys on a street corner.

I understand where you're coming from spore, that it's not exactly a glamorous job for the girls/guys, but making it illegal does far more damage than good I can assure you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Want to bring up the fact that there are male prostitutes as well, you're completely overlooking it and selling out to the feminist pov.
01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Chas, we're still going round and round. I listed 6 tools of enforcement and asked a simple yes/no question: "do you advocate any of those 6 enforcement tools above?" Why can't you just answer yes or no? Look at those 6 items: tasers, guns, batons, fists, handcuffs, prison cells. Do you seriously think those 6 items are vague? You don't know what they are? Come on, I'm not talking about complex things like "charmed quarks". I'm referring to simple items the average 10 year old could identify, like a taser. Why can't you just say 'yes' or 'no' if you advocate using one of those 6 items?

(01-12-2013 07:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  First, I disagree with your definition of violence.

I copied/pasted from the dictionary. Is there another word you prefer I use? Perhaps, even though it's the accurate word, violence carries too many negative connotations.

(01-12-2013 07:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, those are violence, but there are other forms of violence as well.

Agreed. I am against all of them. In fact, I would like to eliminate coercion altogether. I don't even like the idea of "shaming" people into doing what you want. However, I'm not going to try to boil the ocean. One baby step at a time. As I look at you liberals and conservatives beating each other with tasers, guns, batons, fists, handcuffs and prison cells, it would be a HUGE, MONUMENTAL step forward if you guys would just agree to put down the guns. Hopefully, once you realize that the harshest form of violence is unnecessary, then we start working on the more subtle forms.

(01-12-2013 07:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Second, you need to be more specific. You say "someone who himself is not using violence", but what about threats of violence?

I've said repeatedly that I count 'threat of violence' as the same thing. If somebody threatens a woman with ANY form of physical force, to her or anybody else, it's violence, and he should be dealt with harshly. And I disapprove of non-physical force too, like applying mental pressure. But, again, I'd start with the basics of physical violence.

(01-12-2013 07:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  And it's not about what I want, it's about what we as a society have agreed upon.

Sort of. We have a constitution which our founders signed which forbids the federal government from using violence to coerce people to do things against their will (they're limited to a small set of enumerated powers). Technically, that STILL is the law of the land. It hasn't been formally repealed, and remains the rules which "society agreed upon". Now, it's true, that most in society have forgotten about the rules and just use violence all the time. The US locks up more of it's citizens in jail than anywhere else, and Americans seem to have a hardon for hauling people off at gunpoint and throwing them in jail for just about everything. But, society hasn't formally agreed to it yet.
01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
(01-12-2013 07:10 PM)sporehux Wrote:  In effect, regulation means that under certain conditions it is permissible to exploit and abuse women. Most arguments in favor of legalization are based on trying to distinguish between "free" and "forced" prostitution and trafficking. Considering the extreme conditions of exploitation in the sex industry, those distinctions are nothing but abstractions that make for good academic debates.

There most definitely IS a distinction. You refuse to accept this, but there ARE women paying their way through college as a paid mistress. It's actually not uncommon at all. These women are not being exploited. THEY are making an informed decision.

You keep insisting that there's no different between that college student vs. a poor woman from a third world country who's been trafficked, had her passport confiscated, and faces beating and abuse.

Can you seriously tell me you can't see the distinction? Let me put it to you this way... Let's say you really needed money for something (your Mom's surgery, whatever). And a businessman comes along and says sporehux, you're really hot, I'll give you $100,000 to have sex with me. And then a thug comes along and grabbed you, beat you, pinned you down and forced himself on you. Are you seriously going to tell me there's no distinction between those two? You are seriously going to say the distinction is purely academic, and it doesn't really matter to you which of those two approaches is used???
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't think any of you get the message that existing illegal prostitution never goes legal, only new establishments take the legal path.
The suffering people you claim to be protecting are just ignored, same health dangers same abuse dangers.

Swept under the rug of big government did something at last so lets stick fingers in ears now and sing lalalalalala.

Everyone (frankksj) here is delusional to think sex workers want to have sex with their clients, and one sided sex may as well be RAPE.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Chas,frank, i don't think this part belongs in this thread. Why don't y'all create a new thread and setlle the dispute there?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
01-12-2013, 07:39 PM
(01-12-2013 07:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I don't think any of you get the message that existing illegal prostitution never goes legal, only new establishments take the legal path.
The suffering people you claim to be protecting are just ignored, same health dangers same abuse dangers.

Swept under the rug of big government did something at last so lets stick fingers in ears now and sing lalalalalala.

Everyone (frankksj) here is delusional to think sex workers want to have sex with their clients, and one sided sex may as well be RAPE.

So the poll currently sits on 76% Rape apologists. {sarcastic clap}

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
01-12-2013, 07:39 PM
There are people who want to have sex for money,spore.
When i open up the advertising page on the news paper,a huge part is filled with "indian/ebony girl looking for goodlooking 25-35 male, $200 per hour. Call ########" and alike

01-12-2013, 07:41 PM
(01-12-2013 07:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I don't think any of you get the message that existing illegal prostitution never goes legal, only new establishments take the legal path.

That's not true. It may not be instantaneous but gradually illegal prostitution will shrink (maybe not altogether but at least very drastically). It's the same reasons that illegal alcohol supply and demand if far reduced now from what it was during prohibition.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Dude,what is better? A nice govt run brothel that
1.pays the girls atleast minimum wages
2.test girls once a week on std's
3.has a few secuirity guards incase of trouble

or
a dirty motel,with no secuirity,no tests on std's and no way of knowing if the girls get paid?