Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
I thought under decriminalization that it remained illegal under law without punishment, or am I mistaken? If you look at the marijuana issue, certain areas have decriminalized it, in which it is legal to own, and use, but remains illegal to trade, buy, or sell. Obviously in this situation the government isn't taxing the marijuana.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Hah, so interesting, I started a thread like this on a different atheist website like a year ago.

Yes, it should be legalized. There is nothing wrong with choosing what to do with your body and receiving money from it. I see it as barely different than getting paid to give somebody a massage.

OF COURSE no sex trafficking or forced sex should be allowed. It should always be consensual, and a choice made by the person performing the act. And the profession should bar minors from participating. Regulate and tax this shiz!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Also,in my country it is legal.
You apply for a permit to open a brothel,and you get a health officer every month to check the girls for stds, check the rooms, check if girls have acces to panic button 'n stuff.
It could be done better imo,but we don't have a big prooblem of human trafficing(if i may believe stats from 1992)

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
(02-12-2013 10:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I thought under decriminalization that it remained illegal under law without punishment, or am I mistaken? If you look at the marijuana issue, certain areas have decriminalized it, in which it is legal to own, and use, but remains illegal to trade, buy, or sell. Obviously in this situation the government isn't taxing the marijuana.

Decriminalization of marijuana involved removing the law that prohibited it's use but failed to create any sort of regulation of the drug. Legalization would have legitimized a business that sells marijuana. Is that a bit more clear? It's more important when it comes to sex, drugs, and alcohol, for everything else it's really a moot point.
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
(02-12-2013 11:01 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  Decriminalization of marijuana involved removing the law that prohibited it's use but failed to create any sort of regulation of the drug.

No, this isn't correct. I looked it up to be sure. Under decriminalization the law isn't removed. The criminal penalty is removed. Depending on how the decriminalization is applied decriminalized acts can still be a fine-able offense, or require a permit. This isn't at all what I advocated.

02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
(02-12-2013 11:18 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 11:01 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  Decriminalization of marijuana involved removing the law that prohibited it's use but failed to create any sort of regulation of the drug.

No, this isn't correct. I looked it up to be sure. Under decriminalization the law isn't removed. The criminal penalty is removed. Depending on how the decriminalization is applied decriminalized acts can still be a fine-able offense, or require a permit. This isn't at all what I advocated.

I don't think anybody here (except for maybe a select few) is advocating decriminalization. But it's basically the same thing, you remove the force behind the law, you are basically removing the law.
02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
(02-12-2013 11:45 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  ...
I don't think anybody here (except for maybe a select few) is advocating decriminalization.

Au contraire, mon brave

I got the impression that's what many people were meaning / approving of.

I think the poll needs to be changed to be more specific.

For another thread perhaps.

Night all.

02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
(02-12-2013 11:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 11:45 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  ...
I don't think anybody here (except for maybe a select few) is advocating decriminalization.

Au contraire, mon brave

I got the impression that's what many people were meaning / approving of.

I think the poll needs to be changed to be more specific.

For another thread perhaps.

Night all.

Depends on how you're viewing decriminalization. Regulating and restricting are traits of legalization though. Decriminalization is basically taking all governing hands away from it.
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Let's say we legalized prostitution here in the US, and, like in Amsterdam, there was a flood of human trafficking victims from Cambodia, working for oppressive pimps, exploited and living in fear, and the number of prostitutes exploded, with brothels all over town. Sporehux would claim vindication and say it needed to be criminalized again.

BUT, if you really cared about the victims, you'd need to dig deeper. What was their life like back in Cambodia? Perhaps all of them were already prostitutes in Cambodia, and when they got a disease back home, they were just thrown out to die, whereas in the US they were able to get treatment. Thus, while their situation in the US may be deplorable and horrific by our standards, perhaps for them it's still better than what they had back home.

In this case, eliminating prostitution in the US wouldn't REALLY be what was in the girls' best interest--rather it'd be what was in OUR best interest because then we wouldn't have to witness their miserable existence in our own backyard; we'd ship them back to Cambodia to die under much worse conditions, but, out of sight out of mind, we won't have to watch.

I've been reading some of the "criminalize prostitution" arguments from liberals in Europe, and thinking about sporehux's comments about exploiting women. I don't see where any of them have ever researched what the prostitutes' lives were like before or if the prostitutes are actually better off. It seems disingenuous to claim to be all about helping these poor girls, when you may actually be making things much worse for them, and just moving the problem elsewhere so you can pretend it doesn't exist.
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I think the main issue with this issue is that very few people ask the prostitutes what they want.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post