Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: Legalizing Prositution
(01-12-2013 12:19 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't know about legalization (prostitution is legal in Greece), but I believe that if a woman wants to have sex for money, why shouldn't she?

Yes, definitely the majority is forced into it, but I have to admit that it has crossed my mind to do it since it seems they do make a lot of money (I'm not talking about brothels, just call girls who work independently) and my family is having a really rough time financially.

The lack of money that has serious effects on the health of the people you love is a very strong incentive. Sadly, I couldn't possibly do it.

You could sell a kidney, just some physical scars then, not life crippling emotional ones.

Another reason why I continue my stance is I really don't trust in the social science of psychology either. It tries too hard to make absolute statements like "this will happen if this occurs in your life" which repulses me because it's not always true and doesn't account for societal and government influences which may cause a situation to be worse than it actually is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post
01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
(01-12-2013 12:19 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't know about legalization (prostitution is legal in Greece), but I believe that if a woman wants to have sex for money, why shouldn't she?

Yes, definitely the majority is forced into it, but I have to admit that it has crossed my mind to do it since it seems they do make a lot of money (I'm not talking about brothels, just call girls who work independently) and my family is having a really rough time financially.

The lack of money that has serious effects on the health of the people you love is a very strong incentive. Sadly, I couldn't possibly do it.

You could sell a kidney, just some physical scars then, not life crippling emotional ones.

That's exactly why I wouldn't do it. Because I don't think I could handle it emotionally. However, I believe there are people who can.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
01-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Lets try something to agree on,
Prostitution is mostly >% 50 harmful and dehumanizing. Yes.
Legalising it, while improving things for some still be well above 50%
Underground illegal prostitution will still happen if legalised.(pimps don't pay tax)
If legalised more people will seek paid sex (germany had a 70% rise in sextraffic)
More sex workers will be required, more misery achieved as a net result.

Is this not accurate ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Man, prostitution and drug dealing are two of the oldest professions in the world. The world would be awesome if they were legalized and taxed.

Ferdi for pres.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
01-12-2013, 12:54 PM
There are different methods to legalize, different regulations, and different outcomes based on the type of population. Maybe (as suggested before) we would be better off having hubs of legalized prostitution rather than universally so, maybe there needs to be strict oversight and a working relationship with police depts.

Just as there are creative ways to work against it, there are creative ways to legalize it, and we see different outcomes through either course.
01-12-2013, 01:06 PM
The only way you could think legalised prostitution is a good thing is if your under the delusion that its all
About high class independent call girls out of a romcom.

Reality is stinky rooms with non English speaking slave girls paying 90% of their now taxable income back to the business operators.

And sorry Ferdi I like you but "the oldest profession" statement is like some horrendous bible quote.
Lets turn a blind eye to 99% of paid rapes because 1% are pretty women with sugar daddies.

01-12-2013, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 01:21 PM by sporehux.)
(01-12-2013 12:54 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  There are different methods to legalize, different regulations, and different outcomes based on the type of population. Maybe (as suggested before) we would be better off having hubs of legalized prostitution rather than universally so, maybe there needs to be strict oversight and a working relationship with police depts.

Just as there are creative ways to work against it, there are creative ways to legalize it, and we see different outcomes through either course.

Why legalise something that will increase misery, as its proven to be the case in Germany and netherlands.

You wont remove the underground scene, just give it more legitimacy.

Better to target street customers, and let the high class hookers simply ask for large cab fair. Allowing dens of legalised human misery is medieval.

Please read the following arguments for and against, explain why you disagree.
Http://debatewise.org/debates/3583-prost...-be-legal/

01-12-2013, 01:22 PM
(01-12-2013 01:06 PM)sporehux Wrote:  The only way you could think legalised prostitution is a good thing is if your under the delusion that its all
About high class independent call girls out of a romcom.

Reality is stinky rooms with non English speaking slave girls paying 90% of their now taxable income back to the business operators.

And sorry Ferdi I like you but "the oldest profession" statement is like some horrendous bible quote.
Lets turn a blind eye to 99% of paid rapes because 1% are pretty women with sugar daddies.

I'm a fan of fixing a problem rather than just saying "no" and trying to hide it away. Creativity and regulation can be powerful tools if applied correctly. A workers union, tax, testing, inspections, training, all under the same rules as any other business could do wonders. (remember I am only in favor of brothels) The money made could be used to get illegal prostitutes off the streets and the care they need to rejoin normal society, fund the inspections of the brothels to keep them legitimate, and possibly fund sex-education programs (not abstinence-only education).
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post
01-12-2013, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 01:41 PM by sporehux.)
Please read the following arguments for and against, explain why you disagree.

(01-12-2013 01:22 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I'm a fan of fixing a problem rather than just saying "no" and trying to hide it away. Creativity and regulation can be powerful tools if applied correctly. A workers union, tax, testing, inspections, training, all under the same rules as any other business could do wonders. (remember I am only in favor of brothels) The money made could be used to get illegal prostitutes off the streets and the care they need to rejoin normal society, fund the inspections of the brothels to keep them legitimate, and possibly fund sex-education programs (not abstinence-only education).

What you don't get is that you are not fixing it, and you are hiding it away, all it will achieve is additional sex workers in model establishments for gov pr .
Why would high profit pimps want to expose themselves to the IRS,

01-12-2013, 01:41 PM
(01-12-2013 01:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Please read the following arguments for and against, explain why you disagree.

Those arguments against are fairly fool-hardy and fallacious, liberal usage of the slippery-slope fallacy, and gross comparisons do not make for a debate. Here is the difference between prostitution and murder: everything! More specifically? Everything, how about more specifically? Okay, well the former is performing a service to a person for an agreed upon amount, the second is a final, violent act that leaves one person incapable of further life which violates every acceptable form of morality. Empathy basically asks if you're okay with everyone else doing the same thing, murder is a pretty resounding no, prostitution is a debatable question.

If you want to use fallacious arguments to support a position which you have already reasonably justified with psychological arguments, go ahead, but don't expect me to take it seriously.