Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 05:14 AM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
(05-09-2015 02:03 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:04 PM)M107 Wrote:  It isn't prostitution that's immoral, dehumanizes people or causes psychological trauma, but rather the conditions that create a need for it in the first place. The fact that someone has to sell their body and their labor to make ends meet or have any sort of standard of living is abhorrent

Everybody sells their labor to make ends meet.

Thank you. What about pro athletes and such as well? They too have a price they are paid for using their body for entertainment. They also have a very strict set of rules their boss gives them. If they don't abide they get in trouble. Everybody sells themselves in a way. It's time for people to back off from those feelings and realize how reality works.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
05-09-2015, 06:51 AM
I think it's the homeless who would suffer. If giving handjobs behind a McDonalds dumpster is now taxed they have to increase the price to account for the added costs and thus people will look elsewhere for cheap readily available handjobs. And where will they turn? towards the illegals of course. The immigrants come in and undercut the market thanks to their illegal status.

Think of the homeless. #saveamericanjobs
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
05-09-2015, 06:53 AM
How do they assess tax on the fries you're not going to eat anyway????

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Prostitution should be legal for adults. The only reason it's not is the Judeo-Christian prudery around sex, which they consider to be morally "dirty."

The arguments against legal prostitution are, 1. God doesn't want people to have sex for fun; 2. It exploits the prostitutes, who would never do it if they had a choice; and 3. It's dangerous for the prostitutes.

Number 1 is a religious argument. We're supposed to have religious liberty. If your religion opposes prostitution, don't engage in it. But don't try to push your religion on me.

Number 3 is true only because it's illegal. A prostitute cannot go to the police if she is beaten or raped by a client, because she will be arrested. Once it's legal, prostitutes will have the same legal protections as anyone else, and will be in no more danger than anyone else in a profession that has to deal one-on-one with strangers.

Number 2 is the most complicated. First of all, some women enter prostitution out of economic necessity, but others do it because they enjoy it, and yet others because the pay justifies the labor. Of these three groups, only the first requires an answer. There are many dangerous, demeaning, or back-breaking jobs that women, children, and men, enter out of necessity. Today most of the clothing and electronics that Americans buy are manufactured under atrocious labor conditions, by workers who have no other means of livelihood. The solution is not to outlaw the jobs, but to enforce humane working conditions and to guarantee that everyone who wants a job can get a decent wage. Then nobody would have to take any job that paid less than a living wage, and factory owners would have to maintain dignified working conditions and pay decent wages to get workers. But of course that means you'd have to pay more for your clothing and electronics and food.

Keeping prostitution illegal gives the johns an advantage, because the prostitute fears being arrested. Making it legal levels the playing field.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 3 users Like daniel1948's post
05-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Just like the "War on Drugs", making it illegal is what creates far more problems than it "solves".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-09-2015, 09:35 AM
(01-12-2013 11:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ..
Quote: by legalising it we are indirectly telling our children that this a normal thing. When it's not..

Why isn't it? What is your moral (not social or financial) argument?

I'm curious as to how comfortable you are with it?

If your daughter desired to be a prostitute when she turns of legal age, would you see that no different than if she desired to be an accountant, or a fashion designer? Does at it least feel abnormal to you, even if the rational part of you sees no distinction between it?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-09-2015, 10:09 AM
(05-09-2015 09:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 11:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ..

Why isn't it? What is your moral (not social or financial) argument?

I'm curious as to how comfortable you are with it?

If your daughter desired to be a prostitute when she turns of legal age, would you see that no different than if she desired to be an accountant, or a fashion designer? Does at it least feel abnormal to you, even if the rational part of you sees no distinction between it?

I'd get her to a nunnery if she ever showed interest in being a fashion designer!

Ohmy

05-09-2015, 10:10 AM
(05-09-2015 09:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...

If I had a daughter, there are LOTS of jobs I would not want her to take. I would not want her to be a professional wrestler, because of the injuries she'd be likely to sustain. I would not want her to become a lawyer because I think it's a slimy profession. I would not want her to become a missionary because I think missionaries are evil. I would not want her to have to work in a textile factory because it's unhealthy. I could go on and on. And I would not want her to become a prostitute because I would not like the idea of MY daughter having sex with anyone.

But once she turns of legal age she has the legal right to make her own choices. I would have by then taught her about safe sex and avoiding unwanted pregnancy. I'd have taught her to be assertive about her own rights, and perhaps I'd have seen to it that she had taken self-defense classes. I certainly would not try to legislate away the right of half the population to make their own choices of employment just because the idea of my daughter having sex would weird me out.

The issue here is not what I would or would not want my daughter to do. The issue is people's right to make their own choices, and have the ability to turn to the police if they are attacked or abused.

You'll never stop prostitution. There's a reason it's called "the oldest profession." All you can accomplish by keeping it illegal is to make it more dangerous for the women who for whatever reason engage in it.

I think eating snails is disgusting. Should I campaign for a law prohibiting the eating of snails, just because I'd probably barf if I saw my own daughter eating them? If any common activity is unnatural, it's eating snails.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
05-09-2015, 10:17 AM
(04-09-2015 11:04 PM)M107 Wrote:  It isn't prostitution that's immoral, dehumanizes people or causes psychological trauma, but rather the conditions that create a need for it in the first place.

Same could be said about other jobs.Though I somewhat agree as I doubt that prostitution would be a first choice of a job if economy would be better.

(04-09-2015 11:04 PM)M107 Wrote:  The fact that someone has to sell their body and their labor to make ends meet or have any sort of standard of living is abhorrent

Any work is selling one labor so I don't see something abhorent in it. More to the point it's not my concern - I could be disgusted by prostitution, but so what. It does not give me the right to prohibit others form doing this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-09-2015, 10:29 AM
The stuff I do is a LOT more disgusting than two adults engaging in consensual sex. It's probably been six years (as in when I worked home health) since I've gone a shift without having to touch a naked person/handle a penis/go spelunking in a vagina. I have a higher risk of contracting HIV or Hep C than the general population (as well as a huge host of other diseases).

It pays the bills. Drinking Beverage

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post