Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
(15-05-2016 02:21 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Believe it or not, men that are not interested in sex with prostitutes exist, not because it's an "immoral thing", but because there are people with different views and personalities.

Nobody thinks literally all men have the same opinions. It was, as you acknowledged, a generalisation. In general men like conditionless sex with many partners more than they like entering contracts which bind them to one partner; At least, in general, they like it more than women. That's is what Zeke is saying.

You motherfuckers get too emotionally invested in this. "B-but I'm not/Muh friends aren't like that!" Nobody is talking about you and your friends.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 02:47 PM
(15-05-2016 02:39 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 02:21 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Believe it or not, men that are not interested in sex with prostitutes exist, not because it's an "immoral thing", but because there are people with different views and personalities.

Nobody thinks literally all men have the same opinions. It was, as you acknowledged, a generalisation. In general men like conditionless sex with many partners more than they like entering contracts which bind them to one partner; At least, in general, they like it more than women. That's is what Zeke is saying.

You motherfuckers get too emotionally invested in this. "B-but I'm not/Muh friends aren't like that!" Nobody is talking about you and your friends.

The irony when you say I get too emotionally invested while you use expressions like "You motherfuckers" is hard not to notice.

In any case, even if you put it like that, Zeke's statements are wrong, because they generalize. He's assigning intention to other people he doesn't know. If he wants to state his own views, he's free to do it, but if he speaks about how men want this or don't want that, I'm going to call him out on it.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
15-05-2016, 02:55 PM
(15-05-2016 02:47 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 02:39 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Nobody thinks literally all men have the same opinions. It was, as you acknowledged, a generalisation. In general men like conditionless sex with many partners more than they like entering contracts which bind them to one partner; At least, in general, they like it more than women. That's is what Zeke is saying.

The irony when you say I get too emotionally invested while you use expressions like "You motherfuckers" is hard not to notice.

In any case, even if you put it like that, Zeke's statements are wrong, because they generalize. He's assigning intention to other people he doesn't know. If he wants to state his own views, he's free to do it, but if he speaks about how men want this or don't want that, I'm going to call him out on it.

It's text, dude. I use that expression only ever in play. I'm not angry lol.

His generalisations definitely could be wrong, sure. They're not wrong on the basis of being generalisations, though.
15-05-2016, 03:00 PM
(15-05-2016 02:39 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Nobody thinks literally all men have the same opinions. It was, as you acknowledged, a generalisation. In general men like conditionless sex with many partners more than they like entering contracts which bind them to one partner; At least, in general, they like it more than women. That's is what Zeke is saying.

Citation needed.

(15-05-2016 02:55 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  You motherfuckers get too emotionally invested in this. "B-but I'm not/Muh friends aren't like that!" Nobody is talking about you and your friends.

Where did you see emotion exactly?
It's useful, I think, to give examples and talk about our experiences to a person who holds views about stuff he hasn't experienced and only knows on paper. It's not necessarily an argument.

(15-05-2016 02:55 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  His generalisations definitely could be wrong, sure. They're not wrong on the basis of being generalisations, though.

He has so far failed to give any evidence for them though. And they're generalizations he keeps repeating in many parts of the forum.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
15-05-2016, 03:05 PM
(15-05-2016 02:55 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 02:47 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  The irony when you say I get too emotionally invested while you use expressions like "You motherfuckers" is hard not to notice.

It's text, dude. I use that expression only ever in play. I'm not angry lol.

His generalisations definitely could be wrong, sure. They're not wrong on the basis of being generalisations, though.

Really, because the marriage rate might say differently. Uncommitted sex is more available than ever before and yet most men are still lining up to get married or want to get married.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163802/marria...opped.aspx

The over generalization that men mostly want uncommitted sex looks a bit shaky to me.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
15-05-2016, 03:07 PM
(15-05-2016 03:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Citation needed.

Ask Zeke again. I was only clarifying. Although I do agree with him; These generalisations are consistent with my observations of the world. I'm not going to pretend my observations hold any power to convince, though.
15-05-2016, 03:08 PM
(15-05-2016 03:05 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 02:55 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  It's text, dude. I use that expression only ever in play. I'm not angry lol.

Really, because the marriage rate might say differently. Uncommitted sex is more available than ever before and yet most men are still lining up to get married or want to get married.

The over generalization that men mostly want uncommitted sex looks a bit shaky to me.

I fail to see exactly what this had to do with anything I said.
15-05-2016, 03:08 PM
(15-05-2016 03:05 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Really, because the marriage rate might say differently. Uncommitted sex is more available than ever before and yet most men are still lining up to get married or want to get married.

If I had a dollar for every time an ex wouldn't just accept we've broken up and stalked me like a leech, or for every time a guy complained to me that he can't find a girl who wants to get married or for every time my friends complained about not being able to find a guy to just have sex without commitments... sigh. But yeah, anecdotes.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
15-05-2016, 03:10 PM
(15-05-2016 03:07 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 03:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Citation needed.

Ask Zeke again. I was only clarifying. Although I do agree with him; These generalisations are consistent with my observations of the world. I'm not going to pretend my observations hold any power to convince, though.

Well, they are not consistent with my observations, so why not share our observations? The problem is that Zeke is just presenting his opinion as fact, not only without citations, but without even presenting his observations of the world.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
15-05-2016, 03:17 PM
When people state an opinion, they just need to say that's what it is. There is nothing wrong with stating opinions, long as they are not presented as facts.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post