Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: Legalizing Prositution
Ok then give me valid reason that's not been debunked . ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Please re-read my previous posts. You obviously can't just say "legalize-it" and expect the problem to go away, and I'm pretty sure I've made this clear. It took Edison a 1000 tries to make the light-bulb.
01-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't know if it means anything, but even though it's legal here, there are still thousands who don't work legally. Actually, the legal ones are probably a small minority. But then again, I live in Greece, nothing works here.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
01-12-2013, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 02:32 PM by sporehux.)
Ok, I failed to change anyone's mind, damn. (I wont give up, human rights are too important to capitulate on)

But I'm positive time will be on my side, prostitution is slavery IMHO
You cannot legalise it to control it, it has to be erased from society.
Legalizing will not be an incentive for the existing criminals to come clean
Sole operators will not register out of stigma of a label.
It will increase the number of customers and sex works exponentially
Any benefit will be to the new workers lured to the sextrade.

And our kids will grow up to not only know that lung cancer funds their schools but human trafficking as well.
http://www.psysr.org/issues/trafficking/farley.php

Legalised prostitution has increased human trafficing,
Legal is less stigma for customers, = many more customers = more sex workers required.

After decriminalization in NZ, violence and sexual abuse in prostitution continued as before. “The majority of sex workers felt that the law could do little about violence that occurred” and that violence was an inevitable aspect of the sex industry, according to the Law Review Committee. After the law was passed, 35 per cent of women in prostitution reported that they had been coerced by johns. Women in massage parlour prostitution who were under the control of pimps reported the highest rate of coercion. Five years after legally defining prostitution as work, the New Zealand law was unable to change the exploitative quasi-contractual arrangements that existed before prostitution was decriminalised. Most people in prostitution (both indoor and street) continued to mistrust police. They did not report violence or crimes against them to the police. - See more at: http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/view...QNl0M.dpuf

Legalizing Prostitution Does not Stop the Harm. "As Amsterdam began shutting down its legal brothels a few years ago, Mayor Job Cohen acknowledged that the Dutch had been wrong about legal prostitution. It did not make prostitution safer. Instead, he said, legal prostitution increased organized crime. It functioned like a magnet for pimps and punters. Trafficking increased after legal prostitution—80 per cent of women in Dutch prostitution have been trafficked."

After legalisation of prostitution in Victoria, Australia, the number of legal brothels doubled. But the greatest expansion was in illegal prostitution. In one year there was a 300 per cent increase in illegal brothels. - See more at: http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/view...ij6Lb.dpuf

Since decriminalisation street prostitution has spiraled out of control, especially in New Zealand's largest city, Auckland. A 200-400% increase in street prostitution has been reported. - See more at:

01-12-2013, 02:24 PM
(01-12-2013 11:57 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What he heck, my two cents, now I have to run to thanksgiving!!

I have to say, what consenting adults want to do is none of my business, but it bet that a lot of girls are only "consenting" in the sense that it's a way for them to make decent money. They didn't wake up one morning and say "hey, I'd really love to have sex for money, that'd be great!" Sure maybe some do, but I'd bet most of them do it because it's the only option to make money at the moment. Leading to the 75% suicide attempt status it sporehux pointed out.

Now If legalized, this gives even more girls the opportunity to make lots of money, it's now seen as a legitimate profession, so why not? These women won't learn other skills, they eventually will be too old / worn out / burned out to continue, then what do they do?

A lot of things are bad for society, but that doesn't mean they need to be legalized and regulated in order to fix the problem. I see it as an industry that harms it's workers, which won't be fixed just with legalization. Just MHO
My dear there are some people are into older folks, and why can't some go to school and be a prostitute?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
(01-12-2013 02:24 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 11:57 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What he heck, my two cents, now I have to run to thanksgiving!!

I have to say, what consenting adults want to do is none of my business, but it bet that a lot of girls are only "consenting" in the sense that it's a way for them to make decent money. They didn't wake up one morning and say "hey, I'd really love to have sex for money, that'd be great!" Sure maybe some do, but I'd bet most of them do it because it's the only option to make money at the moment. Leading to the 75% suicide attempt status it sporehux pointed out.

Now If legalized, this gives even more girls the opportunity to make lots of money, it's now seen as a legitimate profession, so why not? These women won't learn other skills, they eventually will be too old / worn out / burned out to continue, then what do they do?

A lot of things are bad for society, but that doesn't mean they need to be legalized and regulated in order to fix the problem. I see it as an industry that harms it's workers, which won't be fixed just with legalization. Just MHO
My dear there are some people are into older folks, and why can't some go to school and be a prostitute?

That's why god created the internet and fleshlights.

[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
(01-12-2013 02:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  But I'm positive time will be on my side, prostitution is slavery IMHO

Huh? What makes slavery bad is that it's non-consensual; violence and force are being used to coerce people into doing something against their will (ie manual labor). Here, [i]YOU[/u] are doing the same thing as the slave-owner. It's [i]YOU[/u] who, like the slave owner, using violence and force to coerce people into doing something against their will (ie locking women up at gunpoint who voluntarily CHOOSE to use their bodies that way because they feel it's in their best interest).

Obviously, human trafficking and forced prostitution are immoral, and I'm certainly not defending them. But, let's say a 21-year old woman is struggling to pay her way through the university, working late nights as a waitress, and she fears that all the work is hurting your grades and ability to graduate. Then a John offer to pay her $5,000/month to be his mistress twice a week. And the woman is herself secular and non-religious, assigning no magical role to sex. She simply makes an informed decision to take him up on his offer because she feels it will let her devote more time to studies and make her life better overall. She chooses it because she sees it as a win-win arrangement.

Now you are arguing the police should be sent in, haul her off at gunpoint, lock her up in prison, forcing her to give up her university education and any hope of getting ahead and having a good life because, when she gets out of prison, she'll be unemployable ex-con with a prison record.

Who are you to play God like that and presume to know her situation and decide to use violence to "save her from herself" and destroy her life in the process?

This is the problem with social engineers; you think you know everybody's individual situation, and you know better than we do how we should live our life. Sure, the hypothetical example I gave is probably not the typical case. And, lots of women are forced into prostitution because they have drug addictions or feel they have no other choice. A compassionate position is to open up or work at a charity shelter to provide those women with education, rehab and counseling and help them. That's wonderful. There you are empowering them--not stigmatizing them. But the idea that you know better how everybody should live and will force us all at gunpoint to do it your way is, IMO, not a "modern" or "progressive" approach; it's the same method animals and primitive cavemen used.
[+] 2 users Like frankksj's post
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
(01-12-2013 12:49 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Lets try something to agree on,
Prostitution is mostly >% 50 harmful and dehumanizing. Yes.
Legalising it, while improving things for some still be well above 50%
Underground illegal prostitution will still happen if legalised.(pimps don't pay tax)
If legalised more people will seek paid sex (germany had a 70% rise in sextraffic)
More sex workers will be required, more misery achieved as a net result.

Is this not accurate ?

Wait! Unsure You mean it's illegal to procure myself a sugar-momma?
Legalize it, or send gold-diggers to prison; stop with the moral shell game! Dodgy

I joke!

But... Consider ...I wonder how many would trade their wage from sex for the exact same wage scraping human waste off the inside of poorly ventilated pipes in the city's sewer system. Undecided We need to survey some sex workers!
I'll help Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
01-12-2013, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 02:50 PM by sporehux.)
(01-12-2013 02:30 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 02:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  But I'm positive time will be on my side, prostitution is slavery IMHO

Huh? What makes slavery bad is that it's non-consensual; violence and force are being used to coerce people into doing something against their will (ie manual labor). Here, [i]YOU[/u] are doing the same thing as the slave-owner. It's [i]YOU[/u] who, like the slave owner, using violence and force to coerce people into doing something against their will (ie locking women up at gunpoint who voluntarily CHOOSE to use their bodies that way because they feel it's in their best interest).

Obviously, human trafficking and forced prostitution are immoral, and I'm certainly not defending them. But, let's say a 21-year old woman is struggling to pay her way through the university, working late nights as a waitress, and she fears that all the work is hurting your grades and ability to graduate. Then a John offer to pay her $5,000/month to be his mistress twice a week. And the woman is herself secular and non-religious, assigning no magical role to sex. She simply makes an informed decision to take him up on his offer because she feels it will let her devote more time to studies and make her life better overall. She chooses it because she sees it as a win-win arrangement.

Now you are arguing the police should be sent in, haul her off at gunpoint, lock her up in prison, forcing her to give up her university education and any hope of getting ahead and having a good life because, when she gets out of prison, she'll be unemployable ex-con with a prison record.

Who are you to play God like that and presume to know her situation and decide to use violence to "save her from herself" and destroy her life in the process?

This is the problem with social engineers; you think you know everybody's individual situation, and you know better than we do how we should live our life. Sure, the hypothetical example I gave is probably not the typical case. And, lots of women are forced into prostitution because they have drug addictions or feel they have no other choice. A compassionate position is to open up or work at a charity shelter to provide those women with education, rehab and counseling and help them. That's wonderful. There you are empowering them--not stigmatizing them. But the idea that you know better how everybody should live and will force us all at gunpoint to do it your way is, IMO, not a "modern" or "progressive" approach; it's the same method animals and primitive cavemen used.

No, ill forgive you for not reading everything, but I specificity said the crime is on the Johns, the woman get free counseling and career help if they choose to accept it. No criminal charges.
The Swedish model which has reduced prostitution by 70% is to only charge the Johns.
Several other countries have adopted this system, and amsterdam the poster child for legal is moving to it.

By your argument, every hopeless person should become sex workers. No more homless.

A large proportion of prostitutes are raped, day in, day out,” she said. “That’s how I feel when I reflect on the fact that 50 to 80 per cent of these women are forced to work.
The Dutch policy of running licensed brothels has come under strain in recent decades from the growth of the underground sex trade, where women are trafficked into the country by gangsters and forced to work illegally. Up to 90 per cent of Amsterdam’s 8,000 prostitutes are thought to have been forced into the business.
Labour MP Myrthe Hilkens
Http://amsterdamherald.com/index.php/rss...ds-society

01-12-2013, 02:43 PM
@sporehux

Prostitution is "not normal" only because sex is a taboo still ( and for the most part Church is to blame for that ), otherwise is just providing a service.

Every job is “voluntary slavery” , maybe with few exceptions.

Almost every problem with prostitution comes from it being illegal. Making it legal and regulated solves most problems provided that sex stops being that much of a taboo ( that is a real issue that needs working on ) . You will be left maybe with some problems that apply to most professions.

Also you need to consider needs of people who can't get sex any other way, for whatever reason.
Society shouldn't deny a possibility of having sex to people who can't find a sexual partner by "normal" means .

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post