Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 09:26 AM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
(16-05-2016 09:17 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 08:49 AM)natachan Wrote:  On the other side there are a LOT of women who don't want to be sex workers. They are forced into it, through sex slavery or by family or romantic partners. While legal prostitution might decrease the former I'm not as sure about the latter. Remember that abuse is currently illegal, but how many people get away with it?

True, and legalizing prostitution won't magically solve all problems related to it, but I think it will improve the situation considerably from what we currently have.

Prostitution is legal in Greece, but the state only acknowledges it as a profession for women who work in what they call "studios". I just read that out of the 20,000 women working as prostitutes in Greece, only 1,000 of them do it legally. There are pimps, there are drugs, there is child trafficking and there's exploitation of women from Eastern Europe.

Laws are good, as long as the state abides by them.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
16-05-2016, 09:44 AM
(16-05-2016 09:26 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 09:17 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  True, and legalizing prostitution won't magically solve all problems related to it, but I think it will improve the situation considerably from what we currently have.

Prostitution is legal in Greece, but the state only acknowledges it as a profession for women who work in what they call "studios". I just read that out of the 20,000 women working as prostitutes in Greece, only 1,000 of them do it legally. There are pimps, there are drugs, there is child trafficking and there's exploitation of women from Eastern Europe.

Laws are good, as long as the state abides by them.

Yes, the government needs to be willing to take it seriously.

Like I said in my original comment years ago, most people think prostitution is legal in Nevada. It is, but only very few places far away from Reno, Vegas. People are arrested frequently on the Vegas strip for it and seem surprised to learn it's illegal.

Every time a law is created or something is legalized, people will try to find a way around it, to avoid the pesky government looking over their shoulder or tax (whatever). Legalizing prostition, I feel might help, but people who engage in illegal activity won't stop -- it just drives them even further underground. That can be worse.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-05-2016, 09:50 AM
(16-05-2016 09:44 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, the government needs to be willing to take it seriously.

Like I said in my original comment years ago, most people think prostitution is legal in Nevada. It is, but only very few places far away from Reno, Vegas. People are arrested frequently on the Vegas strip for it and seem surprised to learn it's illegal.

Every time a law is created or something is legalized, people will try to find a way around it, to avoid the pesky government looking over their shoulder or tax (whatever). Legalizing prostition, I feel might help, but people who engage in illegal activity won't stop -- it just drives them even further underground. That can be worse.

The problem with Greece is that the police is so corrupt that it is actually connected to those illegal activities.

The situation here is so bad that I actually had to Google it to make sure prostitution is actually legal.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
16-05-2016, 10:00 AM
(16-05-2016 09:50 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 09:44 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, the government needs to be willing to take it seriously.

The problem with Greece is that the police is so corrupt that it is actually connected to those illegal activities.

The situation here is so bad that I actually had to Google it to make sure prostitution is actually legal.

I have to wonder in social situations like prostition, if the police or local governments are actually part of the problem. I knew more than a couple police officers who turned a blind eye to women they knew -- I don't know if they took money in exchange for that, I hope not.

I had to wonder what the quid pro quo was.

Prostition is an onion of layers and the answers aren't easy.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-05-2016, 11:53 PM
(16-05-2016 07:40 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Just because you pay legally for prostitution doesn't mean it's ethical by any means.
Splitting hairs here; if it's sanctioned by the state, it is ethical. Prostitution is legal in all Australian states.

Quote:Think about how many sex slaves there are in the world.
How many exactly? Citation please. Conjecture is not evidence.

Quote:Think about how many children are being stolen from their parents in order to satisfy the hunger of sexual immorality.
See above.

Quote:What about all the women that are imprisoned because of their drug addition.
See above.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
22-05-2016, 12:03 AM
(21-05-2016 11:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 07:40 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Just because you pay legally for prostitution doesn't mean it's ethical by any means.
Splitting hairs here; if it's sanctioned by the state, it is ethical. Prostitution is legal in all Australian states.

Splitting your split:
Organisational ethics and personal ethics are often in collision ... and often not.

I think you just equated 'ethical' with 'legal'.

Undecided

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-05-2016, 02:37 PM
(16-05-2016 07:40 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Just because you pay legally for prostitution doesn't mean it's ethical by any means. Think about how many sex slaves there are in the world. Think about how many children are being stolen from their parents in order to satisfy the hunger of sexual immorality. What about all the women that are imprisoned because of their drug addition. Have you ever seen, the movie, Hostel? Those people pay high dollar to kill people. Does that justify good behavior?

Most of those problems are at least partially ameliorated by legalizing prostitution. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-05-2016, 11:32 PM
(16-05-2016 07:40 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Just because you pay legally for prostitution doesn't mean it's ethical by any means. Think about how many sex slaves there are in the world. Think about how many children are being stolen from their parents in order to satisfy the hunger of sexual immorality. What about all the women that are imprisoned because of their drug addition.
What nonsense. Slavery, kidnapping, and unlawful imprisonment are issues of those things and are not the fault of lawful consensual prostitution. If fact it's widespread illegality is one of the many reasons sex slavery is so problematic: making something illegal creates a black market and black markets are regulated through violence.
You're taking the immorality of slavery and kidnapping and trying to make prostitution immoral by association. There is nothing immoral whatsoever about consensual prostitution, and I'd love to hear a cogent argument from you that says otherwise.
That people want to exchange money for sex is no more to blame for slavery and kidnapping than people wanting to exchange money for clothing was responsible for slavery on cotton plantations.

Slavery should be stamped out and that includes sex slavery, however slavery is not prostitution nor is prostitution slavery no more than any other industry that has used slave labor. Farming was for generations often peopled by slaves, does that mean farmers today who don't use slaves are engaged in an immoral industry?

Your arguments are nonsense.

(16-05-2016 07:40 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Have you ever seen, the movie, Hostel? Those people pay high dollar to kill people.
Are you seriously using a work of fiction to justify your position? Are you actually trying to compare the exchange of money for sex by two consenting adults with non-consensual murder for cash?

Nonsense.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
22-05-2016, 11:43 PM
(16-05-2016 10:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have to wonder in social situations like prostition, if the police or local governments are actually part of the problem.

Police are one of the biggest problems but not because of bribes or anything like that (though it happens) but because of the attitude that society as a whole has towards sex workers. That attitude being: who cares it's just a whore.

Police will routinely turn a blind eye for the same reason most people do, because they don't consider sex workers as being "people". Client assaulted you? "Your fault, what did you expect being a whore?"
You think slut shaming is harsh to the average woman? Try being a sex worker trying to report a rape. Cops will laugh you right outta the building, if they don't arrest/beat you that is. That's in countries where it's legal by the way, some of the illegal ones your liable to end up in a cell and raped by the police.

Local governments are hostile to the sex industry because being friendly to "whores" costs them WAY more votes than it gets because of the social stigma on sex workers. Legalization is a very VERY good thing because it's the first step to humanizing a section of the population that very badly needs it.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
23-05-2016, 12:26 AM
(22-05-2016 11:43 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 10:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have to wonder in social situations like prostition, if the police or local governments are actually part of the problem.

Police are one of the biggest problems but not because of bribes or anything like that (though it happens) but because of the attitude that society as a whole has towards sex workers. That attitude being: who cares it's just a whore.

Police will routinely turn a blind eye for the same reason most people do, because they don't consider sex workers as being "people". Client assaulted you? "Your fault, what did you expect being a whore?"
You think slut shaming is harsh to the average woman? Try being a sex worker trying to report a rape. Cops will laugh you right outta the building, if they don't arrest/beat you that is. That's in countries where it's legal by the way, some of the illegal ones your liable to end up in a cell and raped by the police.

Local governments are hostile to the sex industry because being friendly to "whores" costs them WAY more votes than it gets because of the social stigma on sex workers. Legalization is a very VERY good thing because it's the first step to humanizing a section of the population that very badly needs it.
I agree that prostitution should be legalized, but I have serious doubts about it doing anything to change how sex workers are viewed by the general population. The stigma doesn't appear to come from the legal status of the practice because they're still viewed as subhuman by many people in countries where the practice has been legal for decades. In countries where prostitution is currently illegal, like in the US, a decisive majority of women and a minority of men are opposed to legalizing it, which suggests that the stigma would continue to exist even if you were to legalize it. Now, while I obviously don't condone rape or violence, I do understand why they are viewed so negatively by so many people.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]