Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 01:16 AM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
(23-05-2016 12:26 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I do understand why they are viewed so negatively by so many people.

I don't.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-05-2016, 02:03 AM
(23-05-2016 01:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 12:26 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I do understand why they are viewed so negatively by so many people.

I don't.

Yeah. I get that they are viewed so negatively, but I don't understand why either.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2016, 02:15 AM
(23-05-2016 02:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 01:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  I don't.

Yeah. I get that they are viewed so negatively, but I don't understand why either.

Actually thinking about it, I do - cultural conditioning. People grow up in a society where prostitution is viewed as taboo and prostitutes live at the fringe. They frequently do have shitty, tough lives as a consequence of the mistreatment they receive. People see the shitty life and think "it must be their fault". Ergo, the cycle perpetuates.

There's no *logical* reason why they shouldn't be treated like any other normal human being, the reason they're not is human stupidity. Dodgy

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-05-2016, 02:37 AM
This thread is so old. It's Chas' grandpa.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
23-05-2016, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 03:00 AM by Vosur.)
(23-05-2016 02:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 01:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  

I don't.

You guys could use a little bit more empathy in that case. Tongue

Try to imagine yourself in the shoes of all the different people in society who aren't sex workers and think about why they might resent them. I'll give you a hint: The feeling that their wages aren't earned through labor.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-05-2016, 03:02 AM
I wonder why professional athletes aren't viewed so negatively. I think it might be because people who view prostitutes negatively aren't actually upset because the wages aren't earned through labor. Tongue

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
23-05-2016, 03:37 AM
(23-05-2016 02:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 02:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah. I get that they are viewed so negatively, but I don't understand why either.

Try to imagine yourself in the shoes of all the different people in society who aren't sex workers and think about why they might resent them. I'll give you a hint: The feeling that their wages aren't earned through labor.

Then those people clearly haven't had enough sex, or they're just not very good at it. It's a skill just like any other, one capable of a mastery that requires effort and dedication.

But what do I know? I was an art major, and we don't work either...

P.S. I'm more than well aware of the definition of 'empathy'.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2016, 03:38 AM
(23-05-2016 02:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 02:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah. I get that they are viewed so negatively, but I don't understand why either.

I think stupidity covers the resentment. I don't have empathy for stupid people. If those twits think earning money through sex is easy, why aren't *they* doing it?

[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
23-05-2016, 03:41 AM
(23-05-2016 03:02 AM)Losty Wrote:  I wonder why professional athletes aren't viewed so negatively. I think it might be because people who view prostitutes negatively aren't actually upset because the wages aren't earned through labor. Tongue
I don't think that's a fair comparison. There are tens of millions of young people aspiring to become professional athletes but only very few of them ever succeed at it because it takes years of dedicated work and training to even have a shot at it. It's an extremely competitive area of work and only the most hard-working people ever make it to the top. I doubt there is anyone who thinks that professional athletes didn't earn their wages through labor. I mean, their rigorous training routines are more straining than most blue-collar jobs. They constantly push themselves to their physical and mental limits to reach the best possible performance.

A sex worker, on the other hand, doesn't need any kind of training or education, they simply have to be willing to have sex with strangers for money. You don't even necessarily have to stay in shape because there are plenty of guys who would pay money to satisfy their fetish for obese girls (so-called "chubby chasers"). Resentment for undeserved wages might not be the most popular reason for disliking prostitutes, but it definitely is one of them.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-05-2016, 03:45 AM
(23-05-2016 03:41 AM)Vosur Wrote:  A sex worker, on the other hand, doesn't need any kind of training or education, they simply have to be willing to have sex with strangers for money. You don't even necessarily have to stay in shape because there are plenty of guys who would pay money to satisfy their fetish for obese girls (so-called "chubby chasers"). Resentment for undeserved wages might not be the most popular reason for disliking prostitutes, but it most definitely is one of them.

You say it like there isn't a difference between a short order cook and a world renowned chef. Sex is a skill like any other. Sure, anybody can do it, but being good at it requires work.

There's a reason why we have different words for prostitutes, representing different levels of perceived value and skill. An upscale call girl is different from a street walker.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post