Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 03:50 AM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
(23-05-2016 03:41 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Resentment for undeserved wages might not be the most popular reason for disliking prostitutes, but it definitely is one of them.

Everyone's just trying to get by. Resenting someone else for getting by in their own way - there's no other word for that but stupidity. I mean fuck, look at me, I write code. As far as I'm concerned it's money for jam. It's piss easy. Yet no one looks at me and thinks I should be given a hard time.

I'm sorry, I don't think there's any way I can empathise with this way of thinking. It's a bullshit justification.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
23-05-2016, 03:52 AM
(23-05-2016 03:41 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:02 AM)Losty Wrote:  I wonder why professional athletes aren't viewed so negatively. I think it might be because people who view prostitutes negatively aren't actually upset because the wages aren't earned through labor. Tongue
I don't think that's a fair comparison. There are tens of millions of young people aspiring to become professional athletes but only very few of them ever succeed at it because it takes years of dedicated work and training to even have a shot at it. It's an extremely competitive area of work and only the most hard-working people ever make it to the top. I doubt there is anyone who thinks that professional athletes didn't earn their wages through labor. I mean, their rigorous training routines are more straining than most blue-collar jobs. They constantly push themselves to their physical and mental limits to reach the best possible performance.

A sex worker, on the other hand, doesn't need any kind of training or education, they simply have to be willing to have sex with strangers for money. You don't even necessarily have to stay in shape because there are plenty of guys who would pay money to satisfy their fetish for obese girls (so-called "chubby chasers"). Resentment for undeserved wages might not be the most popular reason for disliking prostitutes, but it definitely is one of them.

Yes .00000000000001% of people who resent sex workers probably feel that way because they don't have to do any "real work" to get their money. Why don't we be realistic and talk about real reasons that would even rank on the top 100 reason for disliking prostitutes? Sex is bad mmmkay.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
23-05-2016, 03:55 AM
(23-05-2016 03:52 AM)Losty Wrote:  Yes .00000000000001% of people who resent sex workers probably feel that way because they don't have to do any "real work" to get their money. Why don't we be realistic and talk about real reasons that would even rank on the top 100 reason for disliking prostitutes? Sex is bad mmmkay.

Put it that way, pretty sure there should be some dig-uppable stats on why people say they don't like prostitutes... Hmmm... Argh. I can't be arsed right now. Maybe later.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-05-2016, 03:58 AM
(23-05-2016 03:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:52 AM)Losty Wrote:  Yes .00000000000001% of people who resent sex workers probably feel that way because they don't have to do any "real work" to get their money. Why don't we be realistic and talk about real reasons that would even rank on the top 100 reason for disliking prostitutes? Sex is bad mmmkay.

Put it that way, pretty sure there should be some dig-uppable stats on why people say they don't like prostitutes... Hmmm... Argh. I can't be arsed right now. Maybe later.

I just made up the figure. I hope no one has actually wasted time surveying people who hate prostitutes.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
23-05-2016, 04:04 AM
(23-05-2016 03:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:41 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Resentment for undeserved wages might not be the most popular reason for disliking prostitutes, but it definitely is one of them.

Everyone's just trying to get by. Resenting someone else for getting by in their own way - there's no other word for that but stupidity. I mean fuck, look at me, I write code. As far as I'm concerned it's money for jam. It's piss easy. Yet no one looks at me and thinks I should be given a hard time.

I'm sorry, I don't think there's any way I can empathise with this way of thinking. It's a bullshit justification.

It depends on which code you write. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
23-05-2016, 04:09 AM
(23-05-2016 03:58 AM)Losty Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  Put it that way, pretty sure there should be some dig-uppable stats on why people say they don't like prostitutes... Hmmm... Argh. I can't be arsed right now. Maybe later.

I just made up the figure. I hope no one has actually wasted time surveying people who hate prostitutes.

Maybe there's a bit more to Vosur's point in countries where it has been legal for a long time and they don't share the same amount of shame about sex as the United States does. But insofar as the United States is concerned, I imagine that shame stemming from religiously inspired cultural norms, plays a far larger role in it's negative perception. It's a rather uncontested observation that Europeans and their cultures tend towards being more sexually liberal than Americans.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2016, 04:11 AM
(23-05-2016 04:04 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  Everyone's just trying to get by. Resenting someone else for getting by in their own way - there's no other word for that but stupidity. I mean fuck, look at me, I write code. As far as I'm concerned it's money for jam. It's piss easy. Yet no one looks at me and thinks I should be given a hard time.

It depends on which code you write. Tongue

Java can fuck right off. If only because the software I need to use to do my job is ran out of Internet Explorer and runs in Java, and it frequently shits the bed. Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Well, absent statistics, all we can really use for reference is personal experience. I don't think I've ever talked to a woman about whether or not she likes prostitutes so I can only use cite the reasons I've heard from other men here in Germany. The one I mentioned earlier is one of them. Another one would be that they're sluts because they have casual sex with a lot of people or that they have no self-respect because they're willing to sell their body to strangers. Maybe the difference between reasons comes down to different cultures. From what I've heard, Americans are much more uptight about their sexuality than other Western nations, probably in no small part thanks to the much more religious population.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-05-2016, 04:14 AM
(23-05-2016 04:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:58 AM)Losty Wrote:  I just made up the figure. I hope no one has actually wasted time surveying people who hate prostitutes.

Maybe there's a bit more to Vosur's point in countries where it has been legal for a long time and they don't share the same amount of shame about sex as the United States does. But insofar as the United States is concerned, I imagine that shame stemming from religiously inspired cultural norms, plays a far larger role in it's negative perception. It's a rather uncontested observation that Europeans and their cultures tend towards being more sexually liberal than Americans.

Europe is more liberal about sex than the US but I would wager that one of the top reasons for dislike of prostitution still stems from a sentiment that sex is only moral in specific situations.

[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
23-05-2016, 04:15 AM
(23-05-2016 04:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Another one would be that they're sluts because they have casual sex with a lot of people or that they have no self-respect because they're willing to sell their body to strangers.

In that case the only difference between me and a prostitute is that I don't charge Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post