Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 04:15 AM
RE: Legalizing Prostitution
(23-05-2016 04:14 AM)Losty Wrote:  Europe is more liberal about sex than the US but I would wager that one of the top reasons for dislike of prostitution still stems from a sentiment that sex is only moral in specific situations.
That's a hard thing to determine without some sort of solid measurement stick like opinion polls.

Angel

Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
23-05-2016, 04:18 AM
(23-05-2016 04:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 04:04 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  It depends on which code you write. Tongue

Java can fuck right off. If only because the software I need to use to do my job is ran out of Internet Explorer and runs in Java, and it frequently shits the bed. Wink

Java is fine... It's IE that sucks. ahah Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
23-05-2016, 04:19 AM
(23-05-2016 04:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:52 AM)Losty Wrote:  Yes .00000000000001% of people who resent sex workers probably feel that way because they don't have to do any "real work" to get their money. Why don't we be realistic and talk about real reasons that would even rank on the top 100 reason for disliking prostitutes? Sex is bad mmmkay.
Well, absent statistics, all we can really use for reference is personal experience. I don't think I've ever talked to a woman about whether or not she likes prostitutes so I can only use cite the reasons I've heard from other men here in Germany. The one I mentioned earlier is one of them. Another one would be that they're sluts because they have casual sex with a lot of people or that they have no self-respect because they're willing to sell their body to strangers. Maybe the difference between reasons comes down to different cultures. From what I've heard, Americans are much more uptight about their sexuality than other Western nations, probably in no small part thanks to the much more religious population.

Your second two examples boil down to "sex is bad mmmkay" as far as I can tell. Whoever gave you that first reasoning is just a dork. I have had sex. I have also worked in a restaurant as a cashier/go-to person. I think being a prostitute would be much harder work than many other jobs.

I also don't see how it's relevant. Some people offer a service that other people are willing to pay for. People get paid to pump other people's gas. Both literally and metaphorically. Why should one be worse than the other?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
23-05-2016, 04:20 AM
(23-05-2016 03:58 AM)Losty Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  Put it that way, pretty sure there should be some dig-uppable stats on why people say they don't like prostitutes... Hmmm... Argh. I can't be arsed right now. Maybe later.

I just made up the figure. I hope no one has actually wasted time surveying people who hate prostitutes.

I don't think it's a waste. If the problem is not with the prostitutes but with their image in society then it's highly worthwhile to find out what people's objections are and address that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
23-05-2016, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 04:44 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(23-05-2016 04:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Another one would be that they're sluts because they have casual sex with a lot of people or that they have no self-respect because they're willing to sell their body to strangers.

*For the record, this isn't directed at Vosur, but at whoever he talked to that voiced this opinion.*

That pisses me off. A man who has a lot of casual sex is seen as being successful. Being both sexually desirable, and indulging in it, are generally perceived as being acceptable. Being good enough to get paid for it? He'd be an Übermensch. But if a woman does the same? Then she's a whore.

The valuation of chastity and virginity? Thanks religion.

“Politics and prostitution have to be the only jobs where inexperience is considered a virtue. In what other profession would you brag about not knowing stuff? “I’m not one of those fancy Harvard heart surgeons. I’m just an unlicensed plumber with a dream and I’d like to cut your chest open.” The crowd cheers.” - Tina Fey

“To the moralist prostitution does not consist so much in the fact that the woman sells her body, but rather that she sells it out of wedlock.” - Emma Goldman

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2016, 04:28 AM
(23-05-2016 04:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:58 AM)Losty Wrote:  I just made up the figure. I hope no one has actually wasted time surveying people who hate prostitutes.

I don't think it's a waste. If the problem is not with the prostitutes but with their image in society then it's highly worthwhile to find out what people's objections are and address that.

Well, for my country you don't need a survey for that. Sex is so bad and baby Jesus murders a kitten every time an unmarried woman gets laid. He then devours the kitten if said unmarried woman got paid for said sex. And baby Jesus devouring murdered kittens makes Americans feel icky.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
23-05-2016, 04:30 AM
(23-05-2016 04:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 04:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Another one would be that they're sluts because they have casual sex with a lot of people or that they have no self-respect because they're willing to sell their body to strangers.

That pisses me off. A man who has a lot of casual sex is seen as being successful. Being both sexually desirable, and indulging in it, are generally perceived as being acceptable. Being good enough to get paid for it? He'd be an Übermensch. But if a woman does the same? Then she's a whore.

I've seen this being said before but... is it really true for everyone? It seems like a generalization. I wouldn't hold that opinion towards another male, to be honest.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
23-05-2016, 04:33 AM
But for example, homosexuality, which in the US is still not completely socially OK (AFAIK), has really had a good image turn-around recently, especially since the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage. These religious people are not incapable of changing their minds, they just have to have it dressed up for them in some kind of way that the double-think doesn't cause too much dissonance.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-05-2016, 04:35 AM
(23-05-2016 04:30 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 04:27 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That pisses me off. A man who has a lot of casual sex is seen as being successful. Being both sexually desirable, and indulging in it, are generally perceived as being acceptable. Being good enough to get paid for it? He'd be an Übermensch. But if a woman does the same? Then she's a whore.

I've seen this being said before but... is it really true for everyone? It seems like a generalization. I wouldn't hold that opinion towards another male, to be honest.

Sure. But how many sexual partners would a woman need before she'd be labeled a whore? In many circles, a single one before marriage is enough. Now even in that most extreme end of the spectrum, do they hold male sexuality to the same chaste standard? Not that I've ever seen.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2016, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 05:23 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(23-05-2016 04:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  But for example, homosexuality, which in the US is still not completely socially OK (AFAIK), has really had a good image turn-around recently, especially since the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage. These religious people are not incapable of changing their minds, they just have to have it dressed up for them in some kind of way that the double-think doesn't cause too much dissonance.

That's also a bit different. Prostitution ins't typically something you're born with, it's a profession. Once more and more people were out about their sexuality, more and more people had to face the fact that they had friends and loved ones who didn't fall into the typical binary gender roles. Fortunately, more and more people have chosen love and acceptance as a means to square that particular circle.

But damn, if people can make a living playing videogames on YouTube (and I wish them all the success in the world), but exchanging money for sex is still illegal? How fucked up is that?

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post