Poll: Should Prostitution be legalized
Yes, free from government and tax
Yes, with reasonable constraints and regulations
No, because it's immoral/dehumanizes people/causes psycological trauma
No, it's against my religion
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Legalizing Prostitution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
RE: Legalizing Prositution
When it comes to legalizing things, particularly prostitution, we really need to look at the core issues and not some implied minor benefit.
For example, to claim that prostitution may lower rape, places the male as some sort of pathetic individual who has to rape or pay a hooker. Pretty fuzzy logic.
As for the safe sex in legalized brothels; well here in Oz, where it's legal.....'it ain't necessarily so' either.................................Confused

There are many other anti arguments, when it comes to the big picture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Prostitution is legal in Germany. I rest my case. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
01-12-2013, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 03:21 PM by sporehux.)
(01-12-2013 02:43 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  @sporehux

Prostitution is "not normal" only because sex is a taboo still ( and for the most part Church is to blame for that ), otherwise is just providing a service.

Every job is “voluntary slavery” , maybe with few exceptions.

Almost every problem with prostitution comes from it being illegal. Making it legal and regulated solves most problems provided that sex stops being that much of a taboo ( that is a real issue that needs working on ) . You will be left maybe with some problems that apply to most professions.

Also you need to consider needs of people who can't get sex any other way, for whatever reason.
Society shouldn't deny a possibility of having sex to people who can't find a sexual partner by "normal" means .

That's naive, the pretty scented candle brothels( “voluntary slavery” ) that account for 1% of the worlds paid sex Might fit your idea of a legal establishment,
And stats show that most of the johns have partners and the paid sex is for addiction reasons..

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
You're not being particularly coherent there, sporehux.

People are forced into prostitution,
THEREFORE, prostitution should be illegal.

But that doesn't follow, at all. Because that's not where the problem lies...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
(01-12-2013 02:52 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Prostitution is legal in Germany. I rest my case. Drinking Beverage

Your kidding, its an example why it should not be legalised
.www.rememberoursisterseverywhere.com/profiles/blogs/germany-having-second-thoughts-on-legalized-prostitution

BERLIN: A decade after Germany loosened already relaxed restrictions on prostitution, a debate has kicked off to again ban the trade, with leading feminist Alice Schwarzer labeling the country “a paradise for pimps.”

Dozens of politicians, actors and journalists this month have signed Schwarzer’s appeal to Chancellor Angela Merkel and parliament to abolish sex work.

“We know there is slavery in the world today, but there is no modern democratic country that would tolerate, accept or promote slavery,” she said at a recent Berlin press conference on her new book “Prostitution, A German Scandal.”

“However, Germany tolerates, accepts and promotes prostitution, mostly at the expense of the poorest women from neighboring countries.”

She urged a review of the 2002 law – passed under a center-left Social Democrats-Greens coalition government – that theoretically gave sex workers access to unemployment insurance, controlled working conditions and medical coverage.

The founder of the feminist magazine Emma argued that the law backfired and has turned Germany into a “paradise for pimps” who can now more easily exploit women, especially from poorer central European countries like Romania and Bulgaria.

Schwarzer, 70, said this “liberalization of prostitution has been a disaster for the people involved,” estimating the number of prostitutes working in Germany now at 700,000. ...

01-12-2013, 03:09 PM
(01-12-2013 10:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It should be legal. If it's legal you can regulate it which protects the safety of the girls involved as well as their customers (health standards).
It also gets them off the streets and into brothels some times which is a good thing for safety also.

You can also tax it.

It's damaging to keep it illegal, I mean it's gonna happen anyway, better to address the "issue" and control it.
From my perspective it boils down to the purpose of government.
If government make prostitution illegal then this is a symptom of a government whom are going overboard. They are using law and force (obligation of police) to control the lives of people for matters that do not impact the stability of society.
This is akin to a Nanny State.
Even though I am not personally interested in utilising the prostitution industry, it is not in my interests to force others not to partake. If I support government in arbitrary laws against prostitution then what grounds to I have to complain if the same government choose to arbitrarily force their will on me on some other issue?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
(01-12-2013 02:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You're not being particularly coherent there, sporehux.

Well there's that, I get that my definition of "slavery" is not taking.
And all of you think its ok for a woman to sell themselves because of debts.

But the evidence is that existing workers, the well to do, and the down trodden will not
Benefit from any legalization, it will just be the newly recruited workers who choose or are allowed by their pimps to register as sex workers getting taxed for some benefits.

To allow men to act as dominate thugs demanding sex, is akin to following the bibles treatment of women.

01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
(01-12-2013 02:57 PM)sporehux Wrote:  That naive, the pretty scented candle brothels that account for 1% of the worlds paid sex
Might fit your ideal legal establishment,
And stats show that most of the johns have partners and the paid sex is for addiction reasons..

Exactly , if you make it legal and regulated more establishments would be that scented candle brothels and less the other kind that we want to get rid off.
And getting rid of prostitution altogether is not going to happen.

I know that most of the johns...but what about that minority who are not in that "most of" group?

A bit off topic.
Humanity of a society is not measured by how it fits the majority, but rather how it treats the minorities, the underprivileged , the ones with special needs.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
01-12-2013, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 03:28 PM by sporehux.)
There are sex volunteers for the disabled.

Legal establishments just create more customers and workers, organised crime havens, legitimises paid sex, while the supposed people its claiming to help stay where they are making less money because of the increased competition.

[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
(01-12-2013 03:16 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 02:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You're not being particularly coherent there, sporehux.

Well there's that, I get that my definition of "slavery" is not taking.
And all of you think its ok for a woman to sell themselves because of debts.

But the evidence is that existing workers, the well to do, and the down trodden will not
Benefit from any legalization, it will just be the newly recruited workers who choose or are allowed by their pimps to register as sex workers getting taxed for some benefits.

To allow men to act as dominate thugs demanding sex, is akin to following the bibles treatment of women.
What do you mean "sell themselves" ?
Your positions, seems to me, comes from sex being a taboo for you.

I don't think prostitute "sells him/herself" more then anybody else who provides a service. In what way is it different from hiring somebody to unload a truck , or to do a pedicure for you?

If prostitution is legal and regulated, where is the need for pimps?
If some woman is willing to work as a prostitute in a society where prostitution is legal there is no need for a pimp.
In that situation prostitute wouldn't need a pimp more then a hairdresser needs one.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post