Lego

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 10:25 PM
RE: Lego
My four year old just recently got into them. He has a few star wars sets, the rancor pit is his favorite. Just the other day he finally wanted me to dismantle them and make him a space ship on my own, my first attempt at Lego building since I was a kid. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at the result.

[Image: 20150103_135900_zpsl7rjlpui.jpg]

[Image: 20150103_135914_zpsjkafj6f6.jpg]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
13-01-2015, 06:49 AM
(12-01-2015 10:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  My four year old just recently got into them. He has a few star wars sets, the rancor pit is his favorite.
Set 75005, 380 pieces. Nice: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/75005_Rancor_Pit

(12-01-2015 10:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Just the other day he finally wanted me to dismantle them and make him a space ship on my own, my first attempt at Lego building since I was a kid. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at the result.

A very nice build you have going on there. My daughter is 8 and is competent enough but has no interest in the subject. Actually when she was younger we used to play with Jenga blocks more than lego blocks. Maybe that has something to do with it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...VgNy7fMpx4

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
13-01-2015, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2015 07:49 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
Everything is awesome!

We have a few of the pink sets. We were late to the Lego's game.

(give me a minute, can only post pics one at a time. )

[Image: cafe.jpg?l.r2=26861107]

[Image: house.jpg?l.r2=1415535310]

[Image: c26-B005VPRETY-1-l.jpg]

And then a few years ago, I bought these, but forgot I hid them in the closet for Christmas, then we started talking about moving and I didnt want to open because there are so many pieces, figured we would wait, and then at Christmas I googled one and the price was about five times more than what I paid for it. Ohmy So now ....should we keep it pristine? lol.

[Image: post-114-128415694111.jpg]

[Image: 5153PM9A9SL.jpg]

as well as a variety of mini packs and smaller ones I cant remember

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
13-01-2015, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2015 09:57 AM by Hafnof.)
(13-01-2015 07:36 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  We have a few of the pink sets. We were late to the Lego's game.

Have you seen any of the MOC ("my own creation", custom lego) builds for these pink sets? Wink

Hard Suits:
[Image: 8381652946_26a75c698f.jpg]

Space ship:
[Image: 6773122406_a20059787c.jpg]

Giant robot:
[Image: 6812390569_4dbce7d539.jpg]Ultra-Violet by lego_nabii, on Flickr

(13-01-2015 07:36 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  And then a few years ago, I bought these, but forgot I hid them in the closet for Christmas, then we started talking about moving and I didnt want to open because there are so many pieces, figured we would wait, and then at Christmas I googled one and the price was about five times more than what I paid for it. Ohmy So now ....should we keep it pristine? lol.
as well as a variety of mini packs and smaller ones I cant remember

Harry Potter, 1290 and 399 pieces respectively. Maybe check out some of these reviews to judge the play value before cracking open the box. Both seem to be a little up towards the display end of the spectrum rather than necessarily being for play. They have a lot of small pieces that will be easily lost but do have some nice play features.

Here are a couple of models I liked from reviews.

A display only model I wouldn't know what to do with if I had it, and with a $300 price tag:

This technic model has an ugly as hell colour scheme, but is a nice example of the machinery you can put together with these pieces. Technic pieces are pretty freely mixed with mainstream lego these days from what I have seen.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-01-2015, 10:51 AM
ooo! I like those first three you posted. I will have to look more into those. Thanks! Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
21-02-2015, 07:52 PM
I, for some reason still remember my first day at kindy loooong ago, some kid picked a fight with me, and I grapped a WOODEN piece of LEGO and hit him in the head. Never had any trouble with him again. Yes, a big wooden pieces of LEGO.

First, GOD created MAN, then Woman then Temptation then Confusion.Sadcryface
21-02-2015, 09:16 PM
LEGO is awesome.

I have a whole room full back at my parents' place, but never mind that. There are several sets I've kept with me. The Lego Architecture sets for buildings in cities I've been to, and the Lego version of the space probe I watched launch.

The LEGO insectiods arachnid star base (circa... 1999?) was perhaps the greatest Christmas gift I ever received.

... this is my signature!
21-02-2015, 09:25 PM
As a kid, I always felt like I was cheating with the Lego sets, but at the same time was so OCD that I had to keep pieces from sets separate from each other. I preferred to make my own stuff, so my preference was therefore to get big boxes of random pieces that I could mix without feeling OCD guilt.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Lego, for what it is, is wayyyy overpriced.

Its a shame as I think every child should grow up with lego. You should get it given to you from school, not as a gift.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
21-02-2015, 10:59 PM
I have quite a few LOTR/Hobbit lego sets including bag end