• 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2015, 02:58 PM
RE: Lego
[Image: Lego_629f89_2446577_zpsbbqpmcci.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2015, 03:21 PM
In my day we had Lincoln Logs and they didn't hurt so much to step on either!
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
22-02-2015, 03:26 PM
(22-02-2015 03:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  In my day we had Lincoln Logs and they didn't hurt so much to step on either!
Drinking Beverage

You typed this as I thought it - Vulcan mind meld!

I wonder if Legos, Lincoln Logs and the Erector Set I had as a kid pushed me into becoming a builder as an adult Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-02-2015, 03:39 PM
(22-02-2015 03:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-02-2015 03:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  In my day we had Lincoln Logs and they didn't hurt so much to step on either!
Drinking Beverage

You typed this as I thought it - Vulcan mind meld!

I wonder if Legos, Lincoln Logs and the Erector Set I had as a kid pushed me into becoming a builder as an adult Consider

I forgot about the erector set; lots of fun making drawbridges and robots and whatever. I don't get these sets where it builds a specific object. The fun was in just putting the pieces together in new ways to see what worked.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
22-02-2015, 03:43 PM
(21-02-2015 11:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-02-2015 10:45 PM)bemore Wrote:  Lego, for what it is, is wayyyy overpriced.

Its a shame as I think every child should grow up with lego. You should get it given to you from school, not as a gift.

It's no more expensive now than it's ever been; precision manufacturing doesn't come cheap.

I used to be a supervisor in a factory that produced different plastic items. What you refer to as precision manufacturing, involves a press that injects plastic into a 'tool head'. Once it has sufficently cooled (0.5 - 1 second given the size of the pieces) the ejector pins push out the item. When you look at a plastic item, and you see tiny indented circles, thats where the ejector pins contact.

The 'tool head' that is enginerred specifically for what it is producing is probably the most expensive part, they can cost upwards of £100,000 each.

So I humbly disagree, I still think it is overpriced for what it is. Especially when lego has competitors that produce their goods in the same way but sell their sets cheaper.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.