Lent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Lent
Anyone enjoying this yet? It's bombarded my work. And soon Ash Wednesday will come around...but I do get to work from home on Wednesdays Big Grin

I'm not entirely sure people understand what lent is or even why they're doing it. On facebook I see-

Person 1: I'm giving up diet coke and doritos for lent!
Person 2: God bless you! I'll pray for you!

And at work I get to be a part of...

Person 1: I'm giving up carbs for lent!
Person 2: Ugh, me too. Pray for me!

Yes, your time without diet coke, doritos, and carbs matters. The omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing, divine creator of the entire universe...cares about you not drinking diet coke. Coke zero is ok.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like =jesse='s post
06-03-2014, 03:35 PM
RE: Lent
I'm giving up masurbating myself for jebus so I can understand his suffering.

Other people are still ok.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-03-2014, 04:17 PM
If I ever get dragged to one of these, I will say "I am giving up Jesus for lent."
[+] 4 users Like DemonicLemon's post
06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Is lent even in the bible?
06-03-2014, 04:31 PM
I may be wrong, but I think yesterday was Ash Wednesday. I did a shift in the "horsepital" where I sit and watch the cardiac monitors for a few hours to fill in when they're short-staffed, (so I can put it on my resume some day). (It's very interesting ... to me, anyway). So along comes one of the hospital chaplains, and with a "vessel" of ashes, and asks if we want some. I hate to be mean to anyone, but I blurted out "Oh thanks, but I take Matthew (6:16) seriously, and he said 'And when you fast, don't make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.'. I smiled all nice, and polite, but I'm sure she now hates MY fucking guts.

Oh well. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 04:31 PM
(06-03-2014 04:17 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  If I ever get dragged to one of these, I will say "I am giving up Jesus for lent."

I always say I'm giving up religion.
[+] 3 users Like meremortal's post
06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
(06-03-2014 04:31 PM)meremortal Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 04:17 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  If I ever get dragged to one of these, I will say "I am giving up Jesus for lent."

I always say I'm giving up religion.

If only the people I would say that to don't put christianity in a different category as "religion". Weeping
06-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm not giving up anything and I haven't for the last 55 years. However, I am tempted to go Old Testament -- even though Lent is a New Testament thing -- and sacrifice a goat. Nah, I'll sacrifice a lamb instead and then we can have rack of lamb with mint jelly for dinner. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
06-03-2014, 04:49 PM
My family got donuts on the day before. Cause, apparently people do that for reason I'm not quite sure on...but hey, donuts!

In regards to Ash Wednesday, my sister walked around with them on her head yesterday, and ended up talking to me about how she didn't see anyone else with them and how a few people told her she had something on her forehead. Not gonna lie, it was kind of nice to hear.

Also, "fasting" has apparently changed meaning to "only healthy adults have a snack instead of lunch". Huh. Dodgy

I'd love to say I'm giving up listening to religious discussion. Would get me out of sitting through a lot of boring conversations. No idea what anyone in my family's giving up.
06-03-2014, 05:41 PM
(06-03-2014 04:49 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  My family got donuts on the day before. Cause, apparently people do that for reason I'm not quite sure on...but hey, donuts!

In regards to Ash Wednesday, my sister walked around with them on her head yesterday, and ended up talking to me about how she didn't see anyone else with them and how a few people told her she had something on her forehead. Not gonna lie, it was kind of nice to hear.

Also, "fasting" has apparently changed meaning to "only healthy adults have a snack instead of lunch". Huh. Dodgy

I'd love to say I'm giving up listening to religious discussion. Would get me out of sitting through a lot of boring conversations. No idea what anyone in my family's giving up.

That's cuz it's Fat Tuesday, (or Shrove Tuesday). I've been on a low-carb diet for a long time. If I ate a donut, I'd go into a coma, and need an insulin drip. Tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post