Lent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: Lent
Personally, I love lent, now. It's a reminder that I no longer have to give anything up!

On a side note, I used to give stuff up. Some times it would be pop. Sometimes beer or all alcohol. I found f I gave one up, my consumption of the other increased. One year, I gave up all pop and all alcohol, and in those 46 days, I lost ten pounds! Fuck, I drink a lot of liquid calories (as I'm drinking a beer, right now. Big Grin).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2014, 11:47 PM
(06-03-2014 03:29 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  Anyone enjoying this yet? It's bombarded my work. And soon Ash Wednesday will come around...but I do get to work from home on Wednesdays Big Grin

I'm not entirely sure people understand what lent is or even why they're doing it. On facebook I see-

Person 1: I'm giving up diet coke and doritos for lent!
Person 2: God bless you! I'll pray for you!

And at work I get to be a part of...

Person 1: I'm giving up carbs for lent!
Person 2: Ugh, me too. Pray for me!

Yes, your time without diet coke, doritos, and carbs matters. The omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing, divine creator of the entire universe...cares about you not drinking diet coke. Coke zero is ok.
Modern Christians should feel lucky they can leisurely give up trivial things for their religion, that's progress!
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
06-03-2014, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 12:08 AM by Bucky Ball.)
I was wondering if Japanese people keep the season of Lent (and what do they call it ) ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-03-2014, 11:57 PM
My wife's coworker gave up facebook for lent.

I gave up facebook after a month for my fucking sanity.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-03-2014, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 12:45 AM by NWchgo_atheist.)
Clever user- In the Chicago area we celebrate paczki (donut) day. It goes back to when they had to use up lard, butter, and sugar before fasting. I participate in the celebration every year, not because I believe the bs, but because I freakin' love them!
07-03-2014, 12:44 AM
God: Oh son of a bitch. All these crazy people on earth are giving up complete normal luxuries that they think are daily struggles and necessities. One fucker gave up eating entire bags of doritos for a day. You know what, these people are great, they gave up doritos and carbs for me. I'm gonna give these fuckers ponies and lower all of their mortgages.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
07-03-2014, 12:58 AM
(06-03-2014 07:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Personally, I love lent, now. It's a reminder that I no longer have to give anything up!

On a side note, I used to give stuff up. Some times it would be pop. Sometimes beer or all alcohol. I found f I gave one up, my consumption of the other increased. One year, I gave up all pop and all alcohol, and in those 46 days, I lost ten pounds! Fuck, I drink a lot of liquid calories (as I'm drinking a beer, right now. Big Grin).

Exactly. Nobody gives up anything for "god," it's just the Lent Diet™.

"I'm giving up sodas and cookies! yay! after 40 days I'll be thin and beautiful, just like Jesus wants me to be!"

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
07-03-2014, 08:47 AM
(07-03-2014 12:27 AM)NWchgo_atheist Wrote:  Clever user- In the Chicago area we celebrate paczki (donut) day. It goes back to when they had to use up lard, butter, and sugar before fasting. I participate in the celebration every year, not because I believe the bs, but because I freakin' love them!

Pączki day Smile delicious. They're a big part of Fat Thursday in Poland. It's a national tradition to stuff ourselfs with donuts that day. This year my brother ate almost 20 by himself.
I find it funny that in a country where most of the people are supposedly catholics, when Fat Thursday is mentioned, the first thought is 'pączki'.
I thought about making a tshirt saying "EAT DONUTS FOR JESUS", but I don't think it would be appreciated.
07-03-2014, 08:53 AM
If God and Jesus turned out to be real, I don't even know what I would say to this when I die.

Well Jesse, looks like all these people were willing to give up diet coke and doritos for me. You just couldn't lay off that general tso's chicken for a week could you???

Being completely honest...I think Southpark nailed my response.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
07-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Over here Shrove Tuesday is known as Pancake Tuesday. Everybody has pancakes for dinner. The idea being tom use up eggs and sugar before fasting for Lent. It has become part of the culture / tradition and to be honest I enjoy stuffing myself full of pancakes.

Years ago most people walking down the street would have had ash on their foreheads for Ash Wednesday. So much so that if you didn't have it, you got funny looks . I'm glad to say I did not see one person with ash on their foreheads yesterday. A sign that times have changed for the better ..... here in the city at any rate.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí