Lesbians and Religious Dads.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Lesbians and Religious Dads.
This isn't anything other than a story of brutal irony.

My father in law is a devout Mennonite, and more importantly he is extremely (gay) homophobic. Not only that but he has power issues, with women especially.

Anyhow he has a daughter that has just started dating as of three days ago. He is so agitated by this I find it amusing. Why? Because this daughter is as far as I can tell, a secret lesbian. She wouldn't admit it to anyone I don't think due to her upbringing, maybe me who knows. She knows I don't believe the myth she was told was the truth. I won't bother getting into how I have come to this conclusion because it doesn't matter, it doesn't even matter if I am right.

The amusement comes from the idea that this man is so uncomfortable with his daughters dating boys and yet he'd rather have them do that then be gay. Though likely he doesn't even think lesbian when he thinks gay.
I am not religious and I would love it if my daughter turned out to be gay. I'd be ecstatic. She probably won't be but if she were to end up that way I wouldn't mind one fucking bit. One less problem I have to worry about.

It's like this bitter irony. I'm enjoying it. I'm sure if she ends up actually being a lesbian that this issue isn't exactly fun for her, and I feel really bad about that, but I will take my enjoyment when I can find it.

I'm super tired and I'm on muscle relaxers at the moment so none of this is likely to make any sense. If it does not, carry on.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
16-05-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: Lesbians and Religious Dads.
He sounds like a very sad (and uneducated) and bigoted old fool. I'd be interested in knowing his upbringing as this is where it all starts.

What does your wife think of it all? Undecided

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
16-05-2012, 09:03 PM
He sounds like a real joy. You'd think your children being happy, healthy and in a decent relationship would be enough for a parent. You either keep you mouth shut a lot when you see him or have some real fun conversations.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
16-05-2012, 09:05 PM
He needs to watch the Doc: "For the Bible Tells Me So."
But he probably won't.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-05-2012, 09:54 PM
The thing is he is really dumb about some things, the ones you wouldn't expect, and smart about things you wouldn't expect. He watches shows like mythbusters if it isn't some shitty western.
He even said last year that it was stupid to celebrate Christmas on the 25th because he wouldn't have been born then.

I often get the sneaking suspicion that he is either terrified of hell or he's just faking due to all of the bonuses he gets from being Mennonite.
Likely the latter.

My wife doesn't spend as much time analyzing every little thing like I do. It's her gift.

Fuck this took me so long to write.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-05-2012, 10:31 PM
(16-05-2012 09:54 PM)lucradis Wrote:  The thing is he is really dumb about some things, the ones you wouldn't expect, and smart about things you wouldn't expect. He watches shows like mythbusters if it isn't some shitty western.
He even said last year that it was stupid to celebrate Christmas on the 25th because he wouldn't have been born then.

I often get the sneaking suspicion that he is either terrified of hell or he's just faking due to all of the bonuses he gets from being Mennonite.
Likely the latter.

My wife doesn't spend as much time analyzing every little thing like I do. It's her gift.

Fuck this took me so long to write.
I applaud you sir...if I was on muscle relaxants I wouldn't be able to lift my head high enough to see the screen on my laptop...there are a lot of meds I can take and function on...muscle relaxants aren't one of those meds. I seem to lose any control of my skeleton when on them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Oh gosh, I can so relate. In fact, maybe we are related through our in-laws, ha ha. My in laws are all over BC, lots in your area, and they are mennonite too. My father in law's ONLY question when my husband and I started dating was "If I come to your house, will you bake me a pie?" Sounds like a joke, but he was dead serious. Ha ha!

My father in law is also super homophobic. He would probably be really uncomfortable about the friends I've introduced his son to.

One time my friend was over, lesbian, and she is such a good baker, she baked a yummy dessert. He told her she'd make a fine wife someday, ha ha. So true, too, and she is! So is her partner.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
17-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I generally don't like to generalize but ... seems to me like homophobes are either secretly afraid they might enjoy it or secretly ashamed that they already do.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I just say; "Dad, I like pussy just like you do. GET OVER IT!"
[+] 1 user Likes Jodienda76's post
17-05-2012, 05:50 PM
So he questions certain aspects of religion but still acts like he buys into it all. It sounds to me that either he, deep down knows its bullshit but is in denial. Or like you say he's acting out of fear or to gain benefits.

Its sad either way.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]