Less Known Sins Listed in the Old Testament?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Less Known Sins Listed in the Old Testament?
So I'm feeling really fired up after seeing soooo many people on my Facebook joining this group petition to bring back that Duck Dynasty bigot to the show. I've never seen the show but the support of a public figure perpetuating hate (however much he tries to dress it up with niceties using words absolutely contradictory to his message like "respect") is really rubbing me the wrong way.
It's got me thinking about how after my mom's quiet deconversion she posted something on her Facebook that was pro gay marriage and one of her church friends took her out for coffee and proceeded to express her very serious concern about how my mom can't just pick and choose which parts of the Bible to practice and observe (obviously not realizing my mom had already rejected the fallacy that the Bible is truth or god inspired).
I've been wanting for a while to do some serious research about all of the Old Testament laws and listed sins to pinpoint the specific ones that Christians today don't practice.
So far the main one I've found is in 1 Samuel 14:33 which states that eating meat with blood still in it (IOW: a rare steak) is a sin.
There are others like Proverbs 13:24 that says its a sin to NOT physically punish a disobedient child. But that's a pretty well known verse so I'm looking for the ridiculous ones that a lot of Christians haven't researched enough to know.
I figured this would be a really good community of resources to tap into. Would love to hear from anyone who has done similar research and what you've found.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
19-12-2013, 09:42 PM
RE: Less Known Sins Listed in the Old Testament?
Just FYI you probably already know that most Christians will claim that these are ceremonial or civil laws that only applied to the ancient Hebrews. They will then say that Paul reaffirms the ban on homosexuality. It's pointless to debate them at that point. Afterlife isn't enough if you can't be a bigot for eternity.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
19-12-2013, 09:49 PM
(19-12-2013 09:42 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Just FYI you probably already know that most Christians will claim that these are ceremonial or civil laws that only applied to the ancient Hebrews. They will then say that Paul reaffirms the ban on homosexuality. It's pointless to debate them at that point. Afterlife isn't enough if you can't be a bigot for eternity.

Okay good point... You probably just stopped me from getting into some very pointless arguments.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Even if you aren't going hunting for those fights, just remember one important thing: Don't ever boil a baby goat in it's mothers milk. That is a sure-fire way to piss off Yahweh.

And perhaps more frightening, Greenpeace.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-12-2013, 06:45 AM
(19-12-2013 09:42 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Just FYI you probably already know that most Christians will claim that these are ceremonial or civil laws that only applied to the ancient Hebrews. They will then say that Paul reaffirms the ban on homosexuality. It's pointless to debate them at that point. Afterlife isn't enough if you can't be a bigot for eternity.

Yeah, they've already come up with a counter for why they can still be upset about gays but not about bacon, shellfish, and mixed fabrics. Of course, that's special pleading, but they'll say it's not because of how they choose to interpret certain things Jesus said and other nonfalsifiable [reasons].

I suppose we should be happy that they just think that gays won't inherit the kingdom of God rather than actually throwing stones at them until they're dead.
20-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Well according to Leviticus we're not supposed to be wearing cotton blends - or ANY kind of fabric blends......
so there's that.Evil_monster

buwwaaahaaa

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
20-12-2013, 07:14 AM
(20-12-2013 06:54 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Well according to Leviticus we're not supposed to be wearing cotton blends - or ANY kind of fabric blends......

buwwaaahaaa

Also can't eat shellfish, for it is 'an abomination'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-12-2013, 07:14 AM
(20-12-2013 06:54 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Well according to Leviticus we're not supposed to be wearing cotton blends - or ANY kind of fabric blends......

buwwaaahaaa

George Takei did a good take on this:

[Image: USZZacq.jpg]

[Image: sulu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
20-12-2013, 07:36 AM
And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast. And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Anyone else find it odd that they needed laws to keep people from fucking animals?
I mean W. T. F? If you have to make declarations on such matters then it's enough of a social norm - eh? *gulp*

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
20-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight.

So people who need glasses or contacts are just shit-outta-luck?