Let me help you athiests out (If there is such a thing)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
17-04-2010, 09:45 PM
RE: Let me help you athiests out (If there is such a thing)
(17-04-2010 05:54 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Dear Martin,

I have a question for you, I realize so many on this site rehash the same old arguments over and over, so answer me this, the Bible says that many people lived over 800 years, since there were many societies other than the Biblical ones, they must have some record of their people living that long, do any other other societies have a history of that?

I totally respect what you say on this site even if others don't get it, your knowledge amazes me, I hope some day to think as clearly!

Your friend,

Martin

I don't get it. Did you write this to yourself? If so, what are you hoping to prove? If not, then this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it.
And in either case, I don't see how this is supposed to "help us out". What are you trying to do?

Quote:BTW I did a cursory search and found none. Atheists step your game up! You are supposed to be free thinkers! Sad when a theist comes up with a better argument.

Trolling, duly ignored.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm beginning to feel like Martin is less serious about his arguments these days. Seems like he's taking to trolling more than serious debate. Name calling and playing dumb are just sad...

Find all posts by this user
17-04-2010, 10:36 PM
(17-04-2010 10:26 PM)Green Wrote:  I'm beginning to feel like Martin is less serious about his arguments these days. Seems like he's taking to trolling more than serious debate. Name calling and playing dumb are just sad...

It does seem somewhat contradictory that such an intelligent guy like him would stick around and debate with the sheep herd that is the members of this site.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
17-04-2010, 10:49 PM

(17-04-2010 09:45 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(17-04-2010 05:54 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Dear Martin,

I have a question for you, I realize so many on this site rehash the same old arguments over and over, so answer me this, the Bible says that many people lived over 800 years, since there were many societies other than the Biblical ones, they must have some record of their people living that long, do any other other societies have a history of that?

I totally respect what you say on this site even if others don't get it, your knowledge amazes me, I hope some day to think as clearly!

Your friend,

Martin

I don't get it. Did you write this to yourself? If so, what are you hoping to prove? If not, then this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it.
And in either case, I don't see how this is supposed to "help us out". What are you trying to do?

Quote:BTW I did a cursory search and found none. Atheists step your game up! You are supposed to be free thinkers! Sad when a theist comes up with a better argument.

Trolling, duly ignored.

OK, most on this site try and disprove the Bible, they usually use old and rehased arguments, I gave you what I believe is a fresh one, and you come back with "this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." It is really simple, you would think that other civilizations would also have people that lived that long, if there is no evidence of people living that long then you could point to the Bible as incorrect. But what you did was say " If not, then this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." Anybody want to tell him what a better responce would have been or do I need to do that also?

If you decide trolling means trying to get a resonse then yes I troll!
(17-04-2010 10:26 PM)Green Wrote:  I'm beginning to feel like Martin is less serious about his arguments these days. Seems like he's taking to trolling more than serious debate. Name calling and playing dumb are just sad...

Name calling where? Look back at the names I have been called, including saying I am playing dumb.
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Well you certainly seem like it... Either that or you don't pay too much attention to what you yourself say.

17-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:OK, most on this site try and disprove the Bible, they usually use old and rehased arguments, I gave you what I believe is a fresh one, and you come back with "this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." It is really simple, you would think that other civilizations would also have people that lived that long, if there is no evidence of people living that long then you could point to the Bible as incorrect. But what you did was say " If not, then this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." Anybody want to tell him what a better responce would have been or do I need to do that also?

Just because the 'bible' says it, doesn't mean it is true. Where is the 'external' evidence?

From what we 'dumb atheists' know, early humans died EARLIER than current life expectancy, from a range of different afflictions that modern society (including medicine) has been able to help prevent. The idea that someone could live 800 years is preposterous. The idea that someone could live 800 years and have YOU believe it is utterly ridiculous.

No, martin, we probably won't find any societies in the world that had individuals surviving up to 800 years of age before dying off. But, then again, we are not comparing apple to apple. Your belief is a 'myth', our stance is rooted in reality. Big difference there.

Quote:Name calling where? Look back at the names I have been called, including saying I am playing dumb.

Oh, I don't think you're 'playing'...
17-04-2010, 11:06 PM
(17-04-2010 10:49 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  OK, most on this site try and disprove the Bible, they usually use old and rehased arguments, I gave you what I believe is a fresh one, and you come back with "this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it."

How many times do I have to explain this to you? That you think that an argument is old, boring or unoriginal doesn't matter. At all. What matters is its quality, and if the only objection you can raise is that you don't like it, you've lost.

Quote:It is really simple, you would think that other civilizations would also have people that lived that long, if there is no evidence of people living that long then you could point to the Bible as incorrect. But what you did was say " If not, then this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." Anybody want to tell him what a better responce would have been or do I need to do that also?

Do you need to keep being deliberately inflammatory? No, martin, what I said was entirely correct. There is zero evidence to support the claim the Bible makes of people living for eight hundred or more years. That you deny this doesn't in any way strengthen your position. Unless you actually present the evidence, this one is just as much bollocks as everything else you've posted here.

Quote:If you decide trolling means trying to get a resonse then yes I troll!

No, by "trolling" I mean "being deliberately insulting and confrontational in an effort to get a rise out of the members here".

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2010, 11:10 PM

(17-04-2010 10:59 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
Quote:OK, most on this site try and disprove the Bible, they usually use old and rehased arguments, I gave you what I believe is a fresh one, and you come back with "this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." It is really simple, you would think that other civilizations would also have people that lived that long, if there is no evidence of people living that long then you could point to the Bible as incorrect. But what you did was say " If not, then this still suffers from the fact that there is no evidence to support the Bible's claim of this, any more than there is any evidence to support the rest of it." Anybody want to tell him what a better responce would have been or do I need to do that also?

Just because the 'bible' says it, doesn't mean it is true. Where is the 'external' evidence? And why won't you answer the question about your wife?

From what we 'dumb atheists' know, early humans died EARLIER than current life expectancy, from a range of different afflictions that modern society (including medicine) has been able to help prevent. The idea that someone could live 800 years is preposterous. The idea that someone could live 800 years and have YOU believe it is utterly ridiculous.

No, martin, we probably won't find any societies in the world that had individuals surviving up to 800 years of age before dying off. But, then again, we are not comparing apple to apple. Your belief is a 'myth', our stance is rooted in reality. Big difference there.

Quote:Name calling where? Look back at the names I have been called, including saying I am playing dumb.

Oh, I don't think you're 'playing'...

I need to help you out also I guess. Wouldn't external evidence be other societies living to the same age as what the Bible said some did during that same time period?
17-04-2010, 11:13 PM
(17-04-2010 11:10 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  I need to help you out also I guess. Wouldn't external evidence be other societies living to the same age as what the Bible said some did during that same time period?

>Disregard argument
>Feel better about self
>Shit's so cash

17-04-2010, 11:23 PM

So the Indus valley did not contain a society? Only one bronze age belief system is true?