Let me help you athiests out (If there is such a thing)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
17-04-2010, 11:27 PM
RE: Let me help you athiests out (If there is such a thing)
On a side note, since you seem to be having trouble accepting that there is such a thing as an atheist I took the liberty of finding a dictionary definition for you:

a·the·ist [ey-thee-ist]
–noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

See: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheist

There is a definition for you, seems pretty obvious to me that such a thing as an atheist exists... It's really not unlikely.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2010, 11:31 PM

(17-04-2010 11:27 PM)Green Wrote:  On a side note, since you seem to be having trouble accepting that there is such a thing as an atheist I took the liberty of finding a dictionary definition for you:

a·the·ist [ey-thee-ist]
–noun

There is a definition for you, seems pretty obvious to me that such a thing as an atheist exists... It's really not unlikely.

Read my post about why I think atheists don't exist.
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't care why you think we don't, we do... Everyone here makes it pretty clear that we "disbelieve the existence of a supreme being or beings"... Your opinion and thought doesn't much matter when it comes to word definitions...

18-04-2010, 12:03 AM

(17-04-2010 11:27 PM)Green Wrote:  On a side note, since you seem to be having trouble accepting that there is such a thing as an atheist I took the liberty of finding a dictionary definition for you:

a·the·ist [ey-thee-ist]
–noun

Thats a terrible definition of Atheist.

It implies that a god exists and we "deny" or "disbelieve" its existance....

The correct definition is:

One who does not believe in gods.
18-04-2010, 12:19 AM

(18-04-2010 12:03 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  

a·the·ist [ey-thee-ist]
–noun

Thats a terrible definition of Atheist.

I agree not a good definition, I think you need to get rid of the "believe" as a=no and theist=God. so there is no God.
18-04-2010, 11:25 AM
(18-04-2010 12:03 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Thats a terrible definition of Atheist.

I feel it works fine either way. To religious people that's the way it is, when you study English you tend to give up on perfect definitions and stick to the base idea of what the word means. No sense putting too much effort into it.

18-04-2010, 11:41 AM
An atheist is simply one who does not hold belief in gods OR actively disbelieves in gods.

*shrugs*

All atheists fit the first definition, but there are a few who don't fit the second.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2010, 05:28 PM

(18-04-2010 11:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  An atheist is simply one who does not hold belief in gods OR actively disbelieves in gods.

*shrugs*

All atheists fit the first definition, but there are a few who don't fit the second.

Since you can't prove God does not exist the best you can do is say you have no knowledge of God, which means agnostic.
22-04-2010, 05:50 PM
(22-04-2010 05:28 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 11:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  An atheist is simply one who does not hold belief in gods OR actively disbelieves in gods.

*shrugs*

Since you can't prove God does not exist the best you can do is say you have no knowledge of God

This is true, but I also do not believe in a god, in the same way that I do not believe in Cthulhu.

Quote:which means agnostic.

No. Agnosticism, as I have explained before, is the philosophical position that the state of truth regarding some matter - the existence of a god, for example - cannot be known. You seem to be describing ignorance rather than agnosticism.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2010, 08:46 PM

o_O

To be honest, I thought that you were making some kind of odd joke at first. After reading the posts though, apparently not. Anyways...

Really? You don't seriously think that humans, several thousand years ago, were living for hundreds of years do you? I mean...really? Do you live in a vacuum or something?

Yes, there are other cultures who claim to have members of their societies surviving for hundreds of years. Just take a peek at peaches in the east, if you want some mythos backing to that area...and then of course there is the Greeks/Romans; cursed to an eternal life but not eternal youth, due to the mishap of his wife...though I doubt you're after something like that.

The baseline is, no, you're not going to find anyone bringing forth legitimate evidence of cultures with members surviving for several hundred years, several thousand years ago, or even today(at least not yet); because that evidence simply does not exist, outside of the corrupted oral traditions and mythos they originate from.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  There is no such thing as evil Jeremy E Walker 170 2,886 24-06-2014 07:40 AM
Last Post: Winterwolf00
  creation, how many version have we seen for far of the same thing ? Ace 9 211 10-06-2014 11:55 PM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  One thing I don't understand about this resurrection crap diddo97 25 702 14-02-2014 02:09 PM
Last Post: Timber1025
  Note To Creationists: Biology And Cosmology Are Not The Same Thing WindyCityJazz 0 58 23-01-2014 06:27 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  One thing I noticed about the Witnesses cheapthrillseaker 6 251 18-01-2014 07:04 AM
Last Post: The Germans are coming
  Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions IndianAtheist 67 2,225 09-01-2014 01:25 PM
Last Post: IndianAtheist
  One thing that a theist taught me bustead 13 411 22-11-2013 08:19 AM
Last Post: bustead