Let's Play Make Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Let's Play Make Believe
I felt this was the best place to post this thread, as it's kinda hypothetical and admittedly just to satisfy my curiosity. Some of you might not even be able to answer because you could not put yourselves in the required mindset to answer, and that's ok!

My question is...let's just say that there is a God, and eternal life (in either heaven or hell), and you die as an atheist:

1) Where do you think you'd go? and;
2) What do you think it would be like?

I can understand if you think this is a judgmental question and similar to a lot of tactics theists and Christians play with atheists. I think we all can agree on how a believer would answer the question for you, but that is not what I am getting at. I'm curious as to what YOU would answer. I could imagine some of you saying you would go to heaven just as easily as some saying they'd go to hell (and maybe even like it).

So, again, not a judgmental question, and I understand if it is so hypothetical or contrary to your beliefs that you can't possibly answer. I'm not sure I could give my opinion about what comes after physical death in a world without God.
Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2010, 05:20 PM
RE: Let's Play Make Believe
As an atheist I'd go to hell. Hell would consist of Mormon primary school classes until the end of time. <.<

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I can really only go by what I know/have been told about the bible, so I assume I'd go to hell. I also would assume everyones hell would be their own personal torture. For me that would be an eternity of digging up a crappy harvest of potatoes. (You know how when the plant looks really good, dies off when it should, then you dig it up and there's two or three tiny little potatoes stuck to the roots? Ya, that's my own personal hell.)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
27-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I guess I would go to hell too. And there I would see, like, 90% or more of the human population that died before me, so I guess what it would be like is really crowded.
27-09-2010, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2010 08:42 PM by No J..)
I would go to hell, along with ALL CHRISTIANS. Why all christians? Examine the eight ways that Jesus told various people about what they need to do to go to heaven. If the bible is all true, then it becomes clear that no one can go to heaven. Many of these ways contradict other ways to the degree that it is impossible to be both. How do you honor you father and mother when you have to hate everyone, including yourself? How can you be like a child and more righteous that the pharasis at the same time? Impossible. You must give up all your possessions and follow Jesus. Right. I have yet to meet or hear of anyone who has done that. And what the hell does 'born again' mean, you have to be stuffed back into your mother's womb and pop out again? Oh, I took it out of context. Really. I guess Jesus just makes up new meanings for words to impress or confuse others. You have to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus. Right. You mean to tell me that 2,000 years later there will be any left? Oh, I took that out of context, too. Right. See you in hell.

http://godisimaginary.com/video1.htm
27-09-2010, 08:23 PM
1) I would go to Columbus, Ohio; and
2) it would be far worse than an eternity with your flesh on fire. Far, far worse.

Columbus .... shudder.....

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-09-2010, 09:34 PM

(27-09-2010 04:46 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  My question is...let's just say that there is a God, and eternal life (in either heaven or hell), and you die as an atheist:

1) Where do you think you'd go? and;
2) What do you think it would be like?

I'll bite. Maybe because I'm so new an atheist I can still remember the mindset well enough to answer.

If there is a god, I would be quite interested to know which god he/she/it is. The probability of him/her/it being your god is only one in several thousand, so I guess I'd want to get to know what he/she/it is all about. Then I'd have lots of questions for he/she/it.

Just out of curiosity, if we substitute any other group for "atheist" would the question change for you? If you died a Muslim, if you died a Buddhist, if you died a Hindu, if you died a Mormon, how would you answer? Would god have mercy on your ignorance or is it only atheists who deserve no mercy?

Since I was previously eastern orthodox christian, I suppose my idea of heaven would have been different from yours even as a christian. Even then I would be surprised if the heaven or hell you speak of would be your heaven or hell. (Especially since the orthodox view of heaven or hell is much, much older than yours.)

I believe sincerely that if there is a heaven, I would go there. I see absolutely no reason why I would not. I live a principled life, I am honest and hard-working, loving, kind and open-minded. I am charitable and giving. I am open to belief if there were evidence for it. My lack of belief doesn't even seem to rule me out if the god I meet there happens to be christian:

"... and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done." Rev. 20:12

I like you, Barley, and I wish there were more like you around.
28-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Let's do a switch, Barley. Suppose there is no god:
1) Where do your morals come from?
2) Would you feel lied to by the people who convinced you that there was a god?
28-09-2010, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2010 01:04 AM by ebilekittae.)
Depending on how lenient the god is, I might go to hell. I've been more than selfish, hurtful, and deceitful at times, and "manipulative" would be a nice one-word summation. But I'm good at it (there's pride--add that to the list), so people often don't see me as an offender.

So, based on personal motivation, I'm not a great person. Not a terrible person either, but needless to say far from perfect. So, depending on what the god views as being worthy for eternal punishment, I guess I could see it either way.

Heaven... I would like to imagine it as a "new earth", as I was taught before. An Earth where the god actively intervenes to make the world not so terrible a place, with love and acceptance in abundance.

My version of hell (completely off the top of my head) would be a place of punishment, but by no means as terrible as what most middle-eastern religions prescribe. Something like a prison, I suppose, separated from the ones they love, and made repentant and guilty (which would be no problem for the god to do). Once they reached that state, they could be redeemed and reunited with their loved ones in the "heaven".

Something like that, I guess. I haven't really put too much thought into it. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-09-2010, 01:23 AM

Assuming there is a "god", your question fails to clarify just what sort of god this deity is. If the hypothetical god is the one of the bible, then it's clear that I would go straight to hell (for me, that would be Los Angeles) and I'd be subjected to boring weather, smog, earthquakes, fires, landslides, traffic jams, and self-centered movie / TV stars for all of eternity. In other words, eternal torment.

If this deity is something other than the one described in the bible, then ... who knows.