Let's Play ... Spot The Fallacy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Let's Play ... Spot The Fallacy!
For insomnia reason, I've just slogged my way through this one (just for the mental exercise).

I was actually feeling embarrassed for the guy after a while.

... then embarrassed for Socrates.

... then, during the Q&A, embarrassed for Murikan education. Weeping

Anyway, apart from the obvious guff and the main fallacy of "argument from incredulity", what other fallacies / apologist acrobatics can you spot?

Oh and there's loadsa irony in there too which takes the sting off the face-palming a tad.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 08:16 PM
RE: Let's Play ... Spot The Fallacy!
Good goddamn, DLJ. That was painful. I don't even have anything intelligent to say because there was nothing even closely resembling intelligence presented in that entire talk. In fact, I'll just let this suffice for my response.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-01-2016, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 09:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-01-2016 05:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  For insomnia reason, I've just slogged my way through this one (just for the mental exercise).

I was actually feeling embarrassed for the guy after a while.

... then embarrassed for Socrates.

... then, during the Q&A, embarrassed for Murikan education. Weeping

Anyway, apart from the obvious guff and the main fallacy of "argument from incredulity", what other fallacies / apologist acrobatics can you spot?

Oh and there's loadsa irony in there too which takes the sting off the face-palming a tad.

I see Erick Pataksis has been a member of the ladies club, since inception.

Dr. B. is pretty creepy. Besides being a snob, ("only mathematicians can understand ..... bla bla bla") like all the "priests", he posses the secret knowledge. He seems to think speaking insufferably slowly makes his bullshit more noteworthy.

I lasted about 5 minutes.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Life's too short DLJ.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Amongst the worst, I see:
- the expecting any sense out of a proseletizing Youtube video fallacy
- the mental abuse is not mental exercise fallacy
- the 75 minutes of that brain cell-destroying drek is only a cure for insomnia via suicide fallacy

Seriously, how the hell did you manage to watch that in its entirety? Training for a mental self-flaggelation marathon? You are not getting those 75 minutes of your life back. Though we'd appreciate it if you'd deduct it from the main speaker's account. With interest.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
24-01-2016, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 11:44 PM by DLJ.)
(24-01-2016 08:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Good goddamn, DLJ. That was painful. I don't even have anything intelligent to say because there was nothing even closely resembling intelligence presented in that entire talk. In fact, I'll just let this suffice for my response.

Yes. It was very painful. You did well.

He strikes me as an intelligent person though. And he did it all without reference to notes ... probably because he's been regurgitating the same stuff for years.

(24-01-2016 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
I see Erick Pataksis has been a member of the ladies club, since inception.

Dr. B. is pretty creepy. Besides being a snob, ("only mathematicians can understand ..... bla bla bla") like all the "priests", he posses the secret knowledge. He seems to think speaking insufferably slowly makes his bullshit more noteworthy.

I lasted about 5 minutes.

The first five mins were the best. Eric had some good jokes.
"We have a great evening organised for you ... not tonight, but ..." - I liked that one.

Yup, I wasn't quite sure if he was quoting Galileo or making his own point about secret knowledge.

Either way, the irony he missed was that the Quran, not the bible is the book of god's word and should only be interpreted by not the Cafia Church but by Islamic scholars Big Grin

(24-01-2016 09:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Life's too short DLJ.

Good point, well made.

Yes

24-01-2016, 11:42 PM
(24-01-2016 11:08 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Amongst the worst, I see:
- the expecting any sense out of a proseletizing Youtube video fallacy
- the mental abuse is not mental exercise fallacy
- the 75 minutes of that brain cell-destroying drek is only a cure for insomnia via suicide fallacy

Seriously, how the hell did you manage to watch that in its entirety? Training for a mental self-flaggelation marathon? You are not getting those 75 minutes of your life back. Though we'd appreciate it if you'd deduct it from the main speaker's account. With interest.

What? Don't you enjoy self-flagellation? Ohmy Unsure

These kinda arguments are just like the ones I deal with daily from Allah-fans. I've been using some Street Epistemology techniques recently with some impact ... because they haven't been trained to deal with that approach.

E.g. "tell me where the quran is wrong" ... thy are expecting me to go to "creation story, Adam/Eve, embryology, Noah, bringing animals back to life" etc. for which they have set responses.
Instead, I'm saying, so-and-so christian / jew / hindu makes the same argument so how can I tell who is right? And how can each of them have 100% certainty that they are right and everyone else is wrong?

Angel

24-01-2016, 11:51 PM
(24-01-2016 11:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  He strikes me as an intelligent person though.

Intelligence sans skepticism and coupled with presupposition is the bane of our existence... Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-01-2016, 11:51 PM
(24-01-2016 05:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  For insomnia reason, I've just slogged my way through this one (just for the mental exercise).

I suppose one mans excercise is another mans torture.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
25-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Am I wrong to read the first few responses and just skip this? Is this a required viewing to be a member in good standing? Will there be a test?