Let's Talk About Baseball

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2013, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 04:53 PM by Hughsie.)
Let's Talk About Baseball
I have been waiting for April 1st for so long; Pretty much since my Tigers lost in 2012 World Series. It seems as though time was creeping by Dodgy

Anyway, I am so excited for today's game: Detroit at Minnesota. (I hate the Twins.) I'm really hopeful for an eventful game. (Of course it's going to be "eventful," it's the freakin' Tigers.) Heart

[Image: Detroit-Tigers-Logo2.gif]

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: Baseball Season Starts for me at 4 Pm!
Lol, I think "eventful" baseball is an oxymoron. I like playing it, but can't stand to watch it. Like chess - great fun when you're involved but doesn't really seem like a spectator sport to me (and I'm saying that as a person who earns a living from chess).

I do admire your enthusiasm, keep on being a fan!

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
01-04-2013, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 12:25 PM by Peanut.)
Baseball is not for everyone. I get annoyed when people say it's boring! lol (You're still cool, though.) It's not Soccer or Football or Hockey; people aren't getting tackled, pummeled, or getting into a fist fight...

But when I watch it, I yell at the TV and throw my hands in the air and shake my head and swear; (among other things.) Watching a great pitcher throw the most strikes in a single game in 40 years is amazing. Watching the final pitch in a game that's tied and in the bottom of the ninth and then the team I'm rooting for gets a walk-off home run is awesome. Watching a "no-hitter" and/or "perfect game" unfold for 3 hours, only to scream at the umpire because he made a split-decision HORRIBLE call is heartbreaking.

NOOO! It hurts my heart EVERY TIME I WATCH IT Sadcryface

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
The Tigers were my favorite team when I was a kid.
Norm Cash, Bill Freehan, AL Kaline, Mickey Lolich....sigh

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
(01-04-2013 12:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The Tigers were my favorite team when I was a kid.

I got a picture of Al Kaline on my living room wall Thumbsup

I know I'm a "youngin" and all, but I appreciate the "new" players, too. I'm not ashamed.

Verlander is amazing. Cabrera and Fielder are an awesome duo. Avila is my homeboy... Heart

01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
(01-04-2013 12:02 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  and I'm saying that as a person who earns a living from chess).

How cool is that?! Do you teach it, compete? I don't know anyone else who can say that. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
My competition days are behind me. Now I teach. I currently have 34 private students including three state champions.

But, this is a baseball thread. Let's get back to that.

Go Tigers!

(They're Grrrrrrrreat!)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
They ARE grrrrrreat! lol

I'm giving fair warning: I made this thread SOLELY to post about baseball and my excitement. (I also don't mind side conversations; You guys can talk about chess.)

I have an hour until the game starts. I am also watching all the pregame shows right now... So, when the game starts, I WILL post updates about the game; It's what I do. Drinking Beverage

01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
(01-04-2013 12:24 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 12:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The Tigers were my favorite team when I was a kid.

I got a picture of Al Kaline on my living room wall Thumbsup

I know I'm a "youngin" and all, but I appreciate the "new" players, too. I'm not ashamed.

Verlander is amazing. Cabrera and Fielder are an awesome duo. Avila is my homeboy... Heart

Yup all those guys can play ball.
Is your picture of Kaline framed? If it isn't it doesn't count! Wink

01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Life long and long suffering Orioles fan. Grew up watching Cal Ripken Jr. Well At least we made the post-season last year maybe we can make it 2 in a row. On the plus side my football team did win the Super Bowl Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post